[mod.ai] Oxymoron: Real-time Knowledge-Based Nurse/Nuclear Plant Operator

lugowski%resbld@ti-csl.CSNET.UUCP (03/23/87)

Regarding the following...

		Date: 22 Mar 1987 18:21-EST
		From: cross@afit-ab.arpa
		Subject: Conference - AAAI-87 Workshop on Real-Time Processing

		Workshop on Real-Time Processing in Knowledge-Based Systems

		     AI techniques are maturing to the point where application
		in  knowledge   intensive,  but  time constrained situations is
		desired.  Examples include monitoring large dynamic systems
		such as  nuclear power plants... sensor interpretation and
		management in hospital intensive care  units...

Desired by whom?  I wouldn't trust AI techniques with monitoring large dynamic
systems of the class of a medium-sized municipal toilet.  I would certainly
want out of any ICU where my fragile well-being did not depend on an ICU
nurse, overworked as though he or she may be.  The AI community has had up
to now the good sense of relegating its really questionable achievements to
the battlefield, where they are fondly appreciated.  Let's not get too greedy
by introducing the battlefield to our rather safe nuclear plants and ICUs.

				-- Marek Lugowski
				   Texas Instruments
				   lugowski%crl1@ti-csl.csnet

mct@praxis.UUCP.UUCP (03/27/87)

In article <8703250728.AA21290@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>
  lugowski%resbld@ti-csl.CSNET writes:
>  I wouldn't trust AI techniques with monitoring large dynamic
>systems of the class of a medium-sized municipal toilet.  I would certainly
>want out of any ICU where my fragile well-being did not depend on an ICU
>nurse, overworked as though he or she may be.  The AI community has had up
>to now the good sense of relegating its really questionable achievements to
>the battlefield, where they are fondly appreciated.  Let's not get too greedy
>by introducing the battlefield to our rather safe nuclear plants and ICUs.
>
>				-- Marek Lugowski
>				   Texas Instruments
>				   lugowski%crl1@ti-csl.csnet

I strongly agree.  Any safety-critical system should have certain
characteristics:  it should be rigorously specified (AT LEAST the safety
aspects); it should be possible to reason rigorously about the
implementation, to convince others that it matches the specification;
it should be developed using QC/QA techniques that guarantee an audit trail
so that any faults discovered after development can be traced to their
cause.

These considerations dictate the use of mathematically rigorous methods, and
a certified Quality Assurance regime.  Does anyone know of an AI system
which measures up? Please reply by mail - I'll summarise.

Martyn Thomas                               mct%praxis.uucp@ukc.ac.uk   <or>
Praxis Systems plc                          ...seismo!mcvax!ukc!praxis!mct
20 Manvers Street,                          Tel: +44 225 335855
BATH  BA1 PX         England.               Fax: +44 225 65205   (Groups 2&3)