[net.sf-lovers] Music 'n SF

Alfke.PASA@Xerox.ARPA (07/29/85)

From: Peter Alfke <Alfke.pasa@Xerox.ARPA>

>[Brian May] is however a big fan of SF (as is Roger Taylor - Queens
>drummer) as witnessed on the "News of the World" cover and Roger
>Taylors "Fun in Space" album (and cover).

Of course!  I have only a marginal liking for Queen, but I found "Fun In
Space" a great album.  Unfortunately, I haven't heard it in years, so I
can only remember the title song as having an SF theme.

Also: Wilson & Shea's "Illuminatus!" trilogy had rather a lot of (rock)
music in it -- the climax takes place at an enormous rock festival on
the shores of Lake Totenkopf in Ingolstadt, Bavaria, where the hypnotic
sounds emitted by one of the bands (I forget which -- at the start of
the third book there's a *three-page* listing of all the bands
attending) will raise battalions of dead Nazi soldiers from the bottom
of the lake.  Incidentally, I recommend very highly the three-page
listing to any group (esp. neo-sixties) searching for a name.  The list
had me rolling on the floor, laughing my @$$ off...

						--Peter Alfke