              Computers and the Law - Libel and Slander

Date: 2-NOV-1985 15:22:02
From: ECON35%vax1.oxford.ac.uk@ucl-cs.arpa

Do you know anything about sending electronic mail containing
mathematical and other symbols? I know of several methods, but
is there a standard, if only a de facto one? Thanks.... Hunter Monroe
ECON35@UK.AC.OX.VAX1

------------------------------

From: tanner <@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA,@ucf.CSNET:tanner@ki4pv.uucp>
Subject: Banking Privacy of Paper
Date: Tue Nov  5 15:50:12 1985

I remember some years ago some discussion of the matter of having
cheques printed on red paper, as this was supposed to cause the bank's
copies of them to turn out all black and thus unreadable when the feds
come in to see who writes cheques to what.  This was offered as the
reason that cheques are not available on red paper from the banks.

Do the banks still use this sort of film?  If so, is there an outfit
somewhere that will print cheques on red paper?  What is the best
shade of red for this purpose?

                                                tanner andrews

<std disclm> <empl disclm>
note:  the return address generated for this message is almost
assuredlyincorrect.  try one of the following; it will probably work:
        (uucp)          {decvax | akgua}!ucf-cs!ki4pv!tanner
        (csnet)         ki4pv!tanner@ucf-cs
        (arpanet)       ki4pv!tanner%ucf-cs@csnet-relay

------------------------------

Date: Wed 30 Oct 85 16:52:19-EST
From: CZAJKOWSKI@TL-20B.ARPA
Subject: pointers to/copies of mice vs. trackball vs light pens vs.
Subject: ....

Many months ago the hardware user-interface dilemmas of mice versus
trackballs versus light pens versus touch screens versus some other
things raged mightily on human-nets. Has anyone archived a) any
pointers to relevant published materials on the subject, b) any
relevant messages from the human-nets monologues and dialogues or c)
the particular digests that the debates ran in?  I would greatly
appreciate pointers to and/or copies of such things.

Please mail to me directly; I don't always make it through all of the
digests all of the time.

Thanks muchly,

Czajkowski@Tartan.arpa

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 Oct 85 10:25:35 pdt
From: mikes@AMES-NAS.ARPA (Peter Mikes)
Subject: Re:  HUMAN-NETS Digest   V8 #35

 Re: email addresses - phone-numbers  and collective idiocy

  The phone numbers are unsuitable for e-mail adresses becouse they
  are area dependent.  Addresses should have one to one correspodence
  with people, they should not change when I move, go to vacation or
  start working on a different computer, for a different company or in
  different domain ( GOV, EDU..)
  So - most of the addressing schemes used are manifestation of the
  EDSEL spirit which is pervading the computer and telecommunication
  industry today. Perhaps closest to a reasonable scheme are MCI email
  addresses and before we proceed, explain what is wrong with those.

  Any practical system will collect the adresses of people who ever
  wrote to me in my personal directory - perhaps with dates/ Re,.. etc
  so that I can mail to any of them with a click of a mouse.  It will
  allow me to to add to that directory from special purpose
  subdirectories -- There is some 10 to power of ten people around and
  so it would have little sense to have a comprehensive directories.
  Email must allow one to see the listof "people within 25 mikes
  radius, who currently selling a used chevy vagen' as a part of the
  adressing scheme and allow me to add them /temporarily/ to my
  mailing list /possibly as group alias/ as long as such request is
  compatible with the privacy constrain which THEY place on their own
  profile....

  It is really fairly simple problem - too bad that nobody is thinking
about it.:

------------------------------

Date: 25 October 85 11:25 EDT
From: RMXJ%CORNELLA.BITNET@ucb-vax.berkeley.edu
Subject: (copy) Phone Numbers for Email Addressing

Originally sent from: RMXJ@CORNELLA
Originally sent to: WYLAND@SRI-KL.ARPA

Another problem with this idea is that there are very few people who
do not share a phone (at either home or work with either secretaries
or family) with others.  So, granted, the network could get it to that
number, but how about the issue of privacy and/or security.
Presumably, there would just be one account per phone number, right?

-- Gligor Tashkovich
   RMXJ @ CORNELLA.BITNET
   RMXJ%CORNELLA.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU (or BERKELEY.EDU)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 7 Nov 85 11:13:13 EST
From: decvax!sunybcs!colonel@ucbvax.berkeley.edu (Col. G. L.
From: Sicherman)
Subject: Re: libel and slander (V8, #3)

The difficulty of extending the libel/slander distinction has been
treated at length in a series of case reports by A. P. Herbert in the
British law journal _Punch._ Herbert's reports have been published in
book form as _Modern Misleading Cases in the Common Law,_ etc.  I
recommend them to anybody who believes in trying to extend outmoded
distinctions to modern communications media.

End of HUMAN-NETS Digest