Date: 3 Dec 85 00:10 PST
From: William Daul / McDonnell-Douglas / APD-ASD
From: <WBD.TYM@OFFICE-1.ARPA>
Subject: "10 Most Wanted Fugitives"

FROM COMPUTERWORLD (Dec 2?)

Washington, D.C.  -- Biographies and digitial pictures of fugitives
who appear on the Federal Bureau of Investigation's "10 Most Wanted
Fugitives" list are now available on the Compuserve Information
Service, from Compuserve, Inc. of Columbus, Ohio.

Compuserve and FBI officials worked together to produce the online
service, hoping it will turn up some clues that will lead to the
apprehension of the fugitives.

"Many of our subscribers are professionals such as doctors, lawyers
and dentists.  Like everyone else, the fugitives require the use of
their services.
 In addition, many of these fugitives have distinct scars, tatoos and
limps ...  so alert subscribers may spot one of them," according to a
Compuserve spokesman.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 23 Nov 85 11:28:22 EST
From: "Keith F. Lynch" <KFL@MIT-MC.ARPA>
Subject: Hacker game
To: BEC.SHAPIN@USC-ECL.ARPA
Cc: risks@SRI-CSL.ARPA

    Date: Mon 18 Nov 85 11:54:52-PST
    From: Ted Shapin <BEC.SHAPIN@USC-ECL.ARPA>

    Activision
    HACKER
    Makes you feel like you've unlocked someone else's computer
    system!

    This "product" is socially irresponsible!  It leads young people
    to think breaking into unknown systems is OK. The "world" they
    discover may be the world of the penal system!

  I don't see what's wrong with this.  This is better than cracking
for real, and I doubt that anyone will learn any useful cracking
techniques from this game.
  Do you also think that toy guns should be banned?  What about
Adventure, Zork, and Dungeons and Dragons, which teach people to kill
and to steal?
  I think fantasy role playing games are of great benefit.  They give
people of all ages a chance to 'get it out of their system' in a
harmless way.
                                                          ...Keith

------------------------------

Date: Sat 23 Nov 85 13:28:39-CST
From: Werner Uhrig  <CMP.WERNER@R20.UTEXAS.EDU>
Subject: is game similating security of *REAL* machines?
Subject: (Re: Irresponsible)
To: BEC.SHAPIN@USC-ECL.ARPA
Cc: risks@SRI-CSL.ARPA

I wouldn't be surprised if this game actually simulates the security
features (or lack thereof) of some real-life systems ...

... in which case, it's *REALLY* time to be alarmed.  On the other
hand, this just might cause a lot of sites to decide to pay attention
to improving their security, or cause efforts which advance the state
of the art of security, which wouldn't be that bad, when you think
about it.

has someone with access to the game and knowledge of the security
features of different minis/mainframes checked this out yet?

------------------------------

Date: Mon 2 Dec 85 10:34:02-PST
From: Ted Shapin <BEC.SHAPIN@USC-ECL.ARPA>
Subject: Re: is game similating security of *REAL* machines?
To: CMP.WERNER@R20.UTEXAS.EDU
Cc: risks@SRI-CSL.ARPA

No, I heard the game is a maze type game, not a simulation of security
on any real system.  The advertisement is just hype to sell the game.
Ted.

------------------------------

Subject: Try again
Date: 15 Dec 85 09:54:01 GMT (Sun)
From: Steve Kille <steve@Cs.Ucl.AC.UK>

[Ed. Note:  Due to the rather convoluted forwarding path of this
message, I have included all forwarding information.]

Date:    Wed 4 Dec 85 14:38:11-GMT
From:    Alan Greig <CCD-ARG@uk.ac.dct>
Subject: Mailgroup messages
To:      mailgroup@UK.AC.Ucl.Cs
Snail-Mail: Computer Centre/Dundee College of Tech/Dundee/Scotland
Sender:  mailgroup-request@UK.AC.Ucl.Cs

This appeared in the New York Times a year or so ago and I think  went
out on usenet. I apologise  in advance if you  don't think it has  any
relevance but considering  the recent  comments about  the quality  of
mailgroup, well it seems relevant to me.

Oh by the way I have my fire extinguisher at the ready...

        Alan
/* TOP */
[From The New York Times, Tuesday, October 2, 1984, p. C1]

EMOTIONAL OUTBURSTS PUNCTUATE CONVERSATIONS BY COMPUTER
by Erik Eckholm

    Computer buffs call it  "flaming." Now scientists are  documenting
and  trying  to  explain   the  surprising  prevalence  of   rudeness,
profanity, exultation  and other  emotional outbursts  by people  when
they carry on discussions via computer.

    The frequent resort to emotional  language is just one of  several
special traits  of computer  communications discovered  by  behavioral
scientists studying how this new medium affects the message.

    Observing   both   experimental   groups   and   actual    working
environments, scientists at  Carnegie-Mellon University are  comparing
decision-making through face-to-face  discussions with that  conducted
electronically.

    In the experiments, in addition  to calling each other more  names
and generally showing more emotion, people "talking" by computer  took
longer to agree, and their final decisions tended to be more  extreme,
involving   either   greater   or   lesser   risk   than   the    more
middle-of-the-road decisions  reached  by groups  meeting  in  person.
Curiously,  those   who  made   such  decisions   through   electronic
give-and-take  believed  more  strongly  in  the  rightness  of  their
choices.

    As small computers proliferate in offices and homes, more business
discussions that were  once pursued face-to-face,  by telephone or  on
paper are  now taking  place by  way of  keyboards and  video  display
terminals.  With  electronic  mail, messages  are  left in  a  central
computer for reading by correspondents on their own computers at their
own   convenience.    Computer   conferences   can   be   carried   on
simultaneously or not.

    In some offices, observers  say, the traditional typed  memorandum
is all  but extinct,  and computer  mail is  replacing even  telephone
calls.  Employees  in  one corporation  studied  received or  sent  an
average of 24 computer messages a day.

    The unusual characteristics showing up in computer  communications
should not be seen as entirely negative, say the researchers.  When it
is not insulting, language that  is uninhibited and informal helps  to
bridge social barriers and may help  to draw out some people's  ideas.
And more extreme decisions can  be innovative and creative instead  of
foolish.

    Moreover,  members  of  groups  talking  electronically  tend   to
contribute much more equally to the discussion.

    "This is unusual group democracy," said Dr. Sara Kiesler, a
psychologist at Carnegie-Mellon.  "There is less of a tendency for one
person to dominate the conversation, or for others to defer to the one
with the highest status."

LOOSER STANDARDS FOR DISCUSSIONS

    Studies of  electronic mail  is several  Fortune 500  corporations
have confirmed  the  tendency for  people  to use  more  informal  and
expressive language on the computer than when communicating in person,
by telephone or by memo.

    "Whatever the company's pre-existing standards for the  expression
of opinion, electronic mail seems to loosen them," Dr. Lee Sproull,  a
sociologist at Carnegie-Mellon, said in an interview, But in  contrast
with the  experimental  findings,  in  the  corporate  world  positive
emotional expressions greatly outnumbered negative ones.

    The company studies  also indicate that  computers are  permitting
much wider  participation  in  discussions  than  in  the  past,  with
employees far from headquarters  now able to  follow debates and  make
their views known.

    Unusually expressive language  has been one  of the most  striking
characteristics of  computer  discussions studied  in  many  different
contexts.  "It's mazing," said Dr. Kiesler.  "We've seen messages sent
out by managers -- messages that  will be seen by thousands of  people
-- that use language normally heard in locker rooms."

COMPUTER BULLETIN BOARDS

    The frequent use of  exuberant and offensive  terms has long  been
noted by observers of computer  bulletin boards.  In 1982 the  Defense
Communications Agency, which  manages the world's  oldest and  largest
computer network for use by Pentagon employees and contractors, issued
the following message to  potential bulletin board contributors:  "Due
to  past  problems  with  messages   deemed  in  bad  taste  by   'the
authorities,' messages  sent to  this  address are  manually  screened
(generally, every  couple  of  days)  before  being  remailed  to  the
Boards."

    Struggling to explain the  free-wheeling language that people  use
on computers,  the  Carnegie-Mellon scientists  note  that  electronic
communications  convey  none  of  the  non-verbal  cues  of   personal
conversation  --  the  eye  contact,  facial  expressions  and   voice
inflections that  provide  social  feedback  and  my  inhibit  extreme
behavior.  Even a memo, with  its letterhead and chosen form,  carries
more nonverbal information than does a message on a screen.  Also,  no
strong rules of etiquette for computer conversation have yet  evolved.

    Computer writers often become  deeply engrossed in their  message,
the researchers have found,  but their focus tends  to be on the  text
itself rather than their audience, perhaps another consequence of  the
lack of non-verbal feedback.

    In a forthcoming  paper, Dr.  Kiesler and  three colleagues  posit
that "using computers to communicate draws attention to the technology
and  to  the  content  of  communication  and  away  from  people  and
relationships with people."
/* BOTTOM */

End of HUMAN-NETS Digest