                      MC.LCS.MIT.EDU and MIT-MC

Date: Mon, 13 Jan 86 10:52:35 PST
From: ihnp4!druhi!ctl@ucbvax.berkeley.edu

                                                             1/13/86
To William Daul and William R. Soley,

Braille printers and programs:

1. There is a program called 'BRAILLE-EDIT', copyrighted 1984, David
   Holladay, produced by Raised Dot Computing Inc that will translate
   an ASCII text file into Braille.

   Address of said company:
       Raised Dot Computing Inc
       408 South Baldwin St.
       Madison, WI  53703

       Phone: General Business: (608) 257-9595
              Technical Helpline: (608) 257-8833

2. This program runs on Apple 2e, Apple 2c, Apple 2 Plus.

3. The braille version of the translated text file can be printed on a
   Thiel printer. This printer is from Industrie-Electronic, GmBH &
   Co., KG (if that means anything to you!). It costs roughly
   $7000.00. (or did a couple of years ago).

4. The Red Cross in your area should have info on this sort of
   question. Or try your local public library. The above info is from
   the Boulder Public Library which has one of the few publically
   accessible Thiel printers in the region.

                                        Catherine Lo
                                        AT&T Information Systems
                                        Denver North Room 9Z225
                                        12110 North Pecos
                                        Denver, CO  80234

                                        druhi!ctl

PS: I'm not sure how to reach William R. Soley so this is being posted
    hoping it will reach the net or someone who can pass on the
    information.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Jan 86 05:31:55 PST
From: hoptoad!gnu@lll-crg.ARPA (John Gilmore)
Subject: Re: "enemy" students raping our high tech universities

> both the Soviet Union and the Chinese have a national technical
> policy to send their "students" to American technical institutions
> where they work with the latest and greatest....
> On the other hand almost NO American is studying anything but soviet
> history or literature in the USSR or chinese
> language/literature/history in the PRC.  There institutions are
> closed by policy.

That last sentence says it all.  The difference is that we are an open
society.  We do it this way because we think it works better.  If we
choose to close our society to keep the [real or imagined] nasties at
bay, then our "grand experiment" in open society will have failed.
And I for one would probably end up looking for another open society
to take my time and energy to.

Happily I don't think this will happen soon.  There's lots of
encroachment by our very own nasties like Reagan, requiring attention
to keep us open.  (Did you know the "Electronic Communications Privacy
Act" introduced by Sen. Leahy [Vermont] happens to legalize the use of
electronic tracking devices, e.g. bugs planted on your person, car,
books, etc, at the same time it makes it illegal to wiretap computer
data?  Fun stuff.)  But there are 200 million of us watching, and
*some* of us still care.

------------------------------

Date: Mon 20 Jan 86 14:03:15-PST
From: Ken Laws <Laws@SRI-AI.ARPA>
Subject: Password Generator Protocol

Since there was an extended discussion of password approaches on
Human-Nets, readers may be interested in this official notice.

                                        -- Ken Laws

                ---------------

Date: 14 Jan 1986 10:32:36 PST
Subject: RFC972 Now Available

A new Request for Comments is now available from the Network
Information Center in the online library at SRI-NIC.ARPA.

RFC 972:

   Title:       Password Generator Protocol
   Author:      F. Wancho
   Mailbox:     Wancho@SIMTEL20.ARPA
   Pages:       2
   Characters:  3890

      pathname: RFC:RFC972.TXT

   This RFC specifies a standard for the ARPA Internet community.  The
   Password Generator Service (PWDGEN) provides a set of six randomly
   generated eight-character "words" with a reasonable level of
   pronounceability, using a multi-level algorithm.  Hosts on the ARPA
   Internet that choose to implement a password generator service are
   expected to adopt and implement this standard.  Distribution of
   this memo is unlimited.

Public access files may be copied from the <RFC> directory at
SRI-NIC.ARPA via FTP with username ANONYMOUS and password GUEST.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 Jan 86 19:11 EST
From: Hewitt@MIT-MC.ARPA
Subject: Postponement in OIS-86 paper submission deadline

Because of the delay in the distribution of the call for papers for
OIS-86 in the Newsletter, we have decided to postpone the deadline for
paper submission from February 1 to March 1, 1986 in order to satisfy
the requirements for broad distribution of the call.

Enclosed please find the updated call for papers which reflects this
change:

*******************       C A L L   F O R   P A P E R S
*                 * ----------------------------------------------
*                 *          Third ACM Conference On
*                 *        OFFICE INFORMATION SYSTEMS
*     OIS-86      *
*                 *            October 6-8, 1986
*                 *           Biltmore Plaza Hotel
*                 *              Providence, RI
******************* -------------------------------------------------

General Chair:  Carl Hewitt,         Topics appropriate for this
                MIT                  conference include (but are not
                                     restricted to) the following as
Program Chair:  Stanley Zdonik,      they relate to OIS:
                Brown University
                                     Technologies including Display,
Treasurer:  Gerald Barber,           Voice, Telecommunications, Print,
            Gold Hill Computers      etc.
                                         Human Interfaces
Local Arrangements: Andrea Skarra,
                    Brown University     Deployment and Evaluation

An interdisciplinary conference on       System Design and
issues relating to office                Construction
information systems (OIS) sponsored      Goals and Values
by ACM/SIGOIS in cooperation with
Brown University and the MIT             Distributed Services and
Artificial Intelligence Laboratory.      Applications
Submissions from the following           Knowledge Bases and Reasoning
fields are solicited:
                                         Distributed Services and
                                         Applications
   Anthropology
   Artificial Intelligence               Indicators and Models
   Cognitive Science
   Computer Science                      Needs and Organizational
   Economics                             Factors
   Management Science                    Impact of Computer Integrated
   Psychology                            Manufacturing
   Sociology

The program committee includes:

Bob Allen                       Ray Panko
   Bellcore                         University of Hawaii
Guiseppe Attardi                Robert Rosin
   University of Pisa               Syntrex
James Bair                      Erik Sandewall
   Hewlett Packard                  Linkoping University
Gerald Barber                   Walt Scacci
   Gold Hill Computers              USC
Peter de Jong                   Andrea Skarra
   MIT                              Brown University
Irene Greif                     Susan Leigh Star
   MIT                              Tremont Research Institute
Sidney Harris                   Luc Steels
   Georgia State University         University of Brussels
Carl Hewitt                     Sigfried Treu
   MIT                              University of Pittsburgh
Heinz Klein                     Dionysis Tsichritzis
   SUNY                             University of Geneva
Fred Lochovsky                  Eleanor Wynn
   University of Toronto            Brandon Interscience
Fanya Montalvo                  Aki Yonezawa
   MIT                              Tokyo Institute of Technology
Naja Naffah                     Stanley Zdonik
   Bull Transac                    Brown University
Margrethe Olson
   NYU

Professor J.C.R. Licklider of MIT will be the keynote speaker.

Unpublished papers of up to 5000 words (20 double-spaced pages) are
sought.  The first page of each paper must include the following
information: title, the author's name, affiliations, complete mailing
address, telephone number and electronic mail address where
applicable, a maximum 150-word abstract of the paper, and up to five
keywords (important for the correct classification of the paper).  If
there are multiple authors, please indicate who will present the paper
at OIS-86 if the paper is accepted.  Proceeedings will be distributed
at the conference and will later be available from ACM.  Selected
papers will be published in the ACM Transactions on Office Information
Systems.

Please send eight (8) copies of the paper (which must arrive by March
1, 1986) to:

       Prof. Stan Zdonik
       OIS-86 Program Chair
       Computer Science Department
       Brown University
       P.O. Box 1910
       Providence, RI  02912

DIRECT INQUIRIES TO:   Margaret H. Franchi (401) 863-1839.

                            IMPORTANT DATES

     Deadline for Paper Submission (postponed 1 mo.)  March 1, 1986
     Notification of Acceptance:                      April 30, 1986
     Deadline for Final Camera-Ready Copy:            July 1, 1986
     Conference Dates:                                October 6-8,1986

------------------------------

From: "Karen R. Sollins" <sollins%XX@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU>
Subject: IMPORTANT NOTICE ABOUT MC.LCS.MIT.EDU

Many rumors have been spreading about MC.LCS.MIT.EDU.  The following
are the facts:

* The maintenance contract on the machine will be discontinued at the
  end of March.

* MIT will continue to support the mail and mailing list activities
  that have run historically on MC.  After the end of March this
  service will reside on other hardware that will be named
  MC.LCS.MIT.EDU.

* The KL-10 will not evaporate immediately, although its name and
  possibly internet address will change.

                        Karen R. Sollins
                        Director of Computing Resources
                        MIT/Laboratory for Computer Scinece