[mod.human-nets] [aurora!eugene@RIACS.ARPA

MCGREW@RED.RUTGERS.EDU (Charles) (02/09/86)

                ---------------

From: aurora!eugene@RIACS.ARPA (Eugene miya)
Date: 26 Jan 1986 1049-PST (Sunday)
Subject: Re: "enemy" students raping our high tech universities

I had been following this discussion (I should mention I would at
A civilian US government research facility) with some interest when a
manual was dropped on my lap.  The manual has a nice red cover unlike
the white or blue manuals from this manufacturer (I think is this
an artifact and not something special), but what really is
interesting is the fluorescent orange RESTRICTED label.  This label
is by the manufacturer and it says that distribution is dependent upon
a rep in a specific region or country (latter emphasis).  Upon
reading this thin manual in detail: it says very little of technical
import which is not known by the people in supercomputer community.

The problem arises when my Co-PI gives said manual to his grad
students, say 50% probability they might be foreign.  Does this make
me a leak to foreign technology?  I have a specific research mission
with my Co-PI, but his students have a high probability of being
foreign.  Do we have to say, "American students only?"  Am I going to
get thrown in jail or my paper pulled from it's conference?  It's not
a US G secret.  It's not even worth classifying.  Are people on the
net going to turn me in? [actually this happened two years ago and my
managers got phone calls.]  Perhaps, I should stop writing to this
board, stop publishing in external publications.  Are you guys going
to turn me in?

--eugene miya
  NASA Ames Research Center
  {hplabs,hao,dual,ihnp4,vortex}!ames!aurora!eugene
  eugene@ames-nas.ARPA

NASA, you know us, we're Cap Weinberger's biggest leak of
technological data to the world.

-------