[mod.human-nets] RSA

MCGREW@RED.RUTGERS.EDU (Charles) (07/01/86)

Date: Mon,  2 Jun 86 20:59:01 EDT
From: "Keith F. Lynch" <KFL%MX.LCS.MIT.EDU@MC.LCS.MIT.EDU>
Subject: RSA
To: waters%viking.DEC@DECWRL.DEC.COM

    Date: Monday,  5 May 1986 05:21:51-PDT
    From: waters%viking.DEC@decwrl.DEC.COM

            Several issues ago in HUMAN-NETS Digest, someone wondered
    how RSA could be patented more than a year after its first
    publication in a 1975 issue of Scientific American.  Could this
    person please step forward with a specific article reference if
    possible?  I looked through all 1975 Scientific Americans to no
    avail. Thanks.

  My apologies.  A few days after that misguided posting, I discovered
that I was thinking of the Mathematical Games column in the August
1977 issue.
  There is also an article "The Mathematics of Public Key
Cryptography" by Martin Hellman in the August 1979 issue.
  The explanation of the patent appears to be that it was applied
for in 1977 but not granted until 1983.  I am not sure of this, but
I have heard it from several sources.
                                                            ...Keith
-------