[mod.human-nets] Macintosh Testimony in court

cmp.werner@R20.UTEXAS.EDU (07/28/86)

Date: Wed 9 Jul 86 17:22:13-CDT
From: Werner Uhrig  <CMP.WERNER@R20.UTEXAS.EDU>
Subject: Macintosh Testimony [in court]
To: info-law@R20.UTEXAS.EDU

A Macintosh computer was recently a star witness in the
first-degree-murder trial of Sagon Penn, who was charged with the
shooting deaths of two San Diego policemen.  The defense contended
that shots had been fired in self-defense as Penn attempted to escape
a brutal beating by the police.  The defense's case centered on a
2.3-second tape sequence recorded by the police dispatcher that
contained the voices of citizens complaining of police brutality; the
voice of the dispatcher; and, faintly in the background, six sounds
that both the defense and prosecution agreed could be gunshots.
Determining the exact timing of these shots was critical to Penn's
claiming of self-defense.  Defense attorneys hired speech expert Tito
Poza to assist in analysis of the brief tape sequence.  Poza used a
Macintosh with the Mac-ADIOS audio digitizer and MacSpeech Lab
signal-processing program (both produced by [name and address removed-
big Arpa is watching you! - CWM]) to locate and time the gunshots and
represent the data graphically on the Macintosh screen.

According to Poza, "I knew the only way I could get my specialized
findings across to the jury was to play the critical section of the
tape to them over and over, with millisecond timing .... [With the
Mac] there were none of the false starts you get with an ordinary tape
recorder."  Although a verdict in the case had not been reached at
press time, Poza said that the attorneys, the judge, and the jury were
impressed with the Macintosh technology and its contribution to the
analysis of important evidence.

[above, without permission, from A+ Magazine, August '86, page 16,
column News and Views, by Frederic E. Davis]
-------