[net.sf-lovers] A Speculation on "Back to the Future" - 1985 vs 1955

ofut@gitpyr.UUCP (Jeff Offutt) (07/25/85)

> Here's a topic me and some friends have been bandying about:
>
> What things about 1985 would be most suprising to someone from 1955?
> Any comments?
>
> Charley Wingate  umcp-cs!mangoe

One of the most surprising thing would be the continuation of the
Cold War.  Quite a chilling thought, eh?

To a science fiction fan, the lack of meaningful space exploration
would be disapointing.  To others, the space exploration we have done
would be amazing.

As far as the electronics go, I think the average person would expect
something along those lines -- though perhaps not quite what we do
have.

--
Jeff Offutt
School of ICS, Georgia Tech, Atlanta Georgia, 30332

In article <596@gitpyr.UUCP> ofut@gitpyr.UUCP (Jeff Offutt) writes:

>> What things about 1985 would be most suprising to someone from 1955?

>One of the most surprising thing would be the continuation of the
>Cold War.  Quite a chilling thought, eh?

Something that is briefly referred to in the movie.

>To a science fiction fan, the lack of meaningful space exploration
>would be disapointing.  To others, the space exploration we have done
>would be amazing.

One thing that's evident about fiction about space exploration is that
authors have almost always overestimated how much energy would be available.
No one appreciated, until fairly recently, that a) fission is a pain and that
b) fusion is VERY difficult.  Nobody guessed how much mileage we would
(literally) get from gravity except Clarke (_2001_, for instance).

I think a BIG suprise would be how wierd the solar system has turned out to
be.  Nobody expected Io!

>As far as the electronics go, I think the average person would expect
>something along those lines -- though perhaps not quite what we do
>have.

In many respects, yes.  The ubiquity of calculators and computers would be
suprising, though; people were leaning towards a wired world, with big central
computers.

One thing that would be very suprising: the fact that technology has acquired
a definite proletarian tinge.  Think of wood vs. plastic, organic foods,
cotton vs. polyester....

Charley Wingate