[mod.politics.arms-d] Arms-Discussion Digest V5 #14

ARMS-D-Request@MIT-MC.ARPA (Moderator) (11/08/85)

Arms-Discussion Digest               Thursday, November 7, 1985 6:24PM
Volume 5, Issue 14

Today's Topics:

            More insulting of 3rd parties (many messages)
                       ALCM, Invasion of Japan
                    Criticism &Scientific American
                      points both meet and moot
                            a legal issue

Date:           Tue, 5 Nov 85 23:22:10 PST
From:           Richard K. Jennings <jennings@AEROSPACE.ARPA>
Subject:        Arms-Discussion Digest V5 #13

	Thank goodness for this *electronic* forum:  I, for one, am happy to
be able to scroll over the third party debate lead by Nevin, King, Carter and
Lin.  Given the intensity of the discussions over such a minor series of
misunderstanding, it does point out the difficulty peacefully coexisting
with another nation capable of obliterating us, but fundamentally unable to
understand us (or we them).

Rich.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 6 Nov 85  8:13:27 EST
From: Bruce Nevin <bnevin@bbncch.ARPA>
Subject: Who's on first?

Date: Wed,  6 Nov 85 09:16:16 EST
From: Oded Feingold <OAF@MIT-MC.ARPA>
Subject:  More on insulting 3rd parties [field added by Moderator]

King@kestrel complains that  SA didn't answer  his letter, hence  they
are political hacks, presumably with the wrong politics:
	I  commented  that   one  part  of   their  claim,  that   a
	ground-based laser  with  orbiting  mirrors  was  unworkable
	because a power  supply that  would produce  a gigawatt  for
	fifteen minutes  was  infeasable,  could  be  refuted  by  a
	collection of a million  automobile batteries (or a  hundred
	thousand batteries of the type  that Con Edison Electric  of
	New York maintains to run their Energy Control Center during
	a blackout).

    I think  the onus  was on  HIM  to acknowledge  if not  solve  the
geometric,    topologic,     current-capacity,     reliability     and
heat-dissipation   issues    involved   before    demanding    serious
consideration  for  such  a  kludge.   Without  such  constructibility
support, I think  he wrote a  crank letter, which  SA owed no  answer.
[Though they could have sent Miss Manners' stock response - `How  nice
for you.']  I  won't believe  "direct extension  of known  techniques"
without a little evidence:  I can build adobe  houses two floors  high
using known techniques -  can I airily extend  the techniques to  make
skyscrapers?
   As a basis for debarring SA from introducing future evidence before
this august panel, that sucks.

    Besides, this argument of placklisting  and boliteness is a  crock
of shit  to begin  with: I  thought the  point of  the discussion  was
whether the SU uses mycotoxins in Southeast Asia.  The only person who
contributed something substantive was Lin, who picked up the phone and
called Meselson.  Meselson pointed to Mirocha at UMinn, and  indicated
his reasons for claiming Mirocha produced a false positive result.]

   Isn't the next reasonable  thing to call or  write Mirocha and  ask
about his procedures and results, and even a response to Meselson?  My
memory of fusaria  toxins is fuzzy,  but I seem  to recall they  break
down in an oxidizing atmosphere, and in sunlight.  Possibly  Mirocha's
samples were the only ones picked  up fresh enough.  I don't know  why
all the others apparently  contained bee shit:  I hardly imagine  that
bee feces show up in quantity anywhere except near a hive.

    If we spent  half the time  checking fax that  we do bashing  each
other's ba...   er,  brains, we  might  learn something.   Maybe  I'll
contact Mirocha myself.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 6 Nov 85  9:22:52 EST
From: Bruce Nevin <bnevin@bbncch.ARPA>
Subject: astonishinger and astonishinger

We have several issues, of different logical type:

1. The facts of the beesh*t debate, which *are* a matter of ongoing
   debate, and which I have not discussed because I am not competent in
   biochemistry, C-B weapons, techniques for planting contaminated
   Russian-made gasmasks, etc.

2. The veracity of the SA article, of which Meselson was the third or
   fourth author.  If it distorts or ignores facts of which the authors and
   editors had to be aware, is it due to the authors, to the SA editors (as
   I am told the WSJ editorial alleges--I still haven't been able to find
   it), or to both?

3. The claim that SA has an editorial bias which is predictable,
   detectable, and exemplified in most every issue, and which interferes
   with objective reportage of scientific findings.

4. The claim that therefore we should not quote SA in this debate, and the
   inferrable generalization that we should not quote any source whose
   editorial policy we find interferes with objective reportage of
   scientific findings.

   (Actually, Dick King's original message was:

       If the Harvard biochemist is NOT withdrawing his hypothesis, I
       suppose he will file suit against the WSJ or at least issue a
       denial.

       If no such event is forthcoming, I don't want to see SA quoted in an
       arms control context.

   This would seem to give Dick a graceful way to withdraw his request
   that he `not see' information that we read in SA `quoted in an arms
   control context', since Meselson reportedly HAS `issued a denial' of
   the WSJ editorial.)

5. The counterclaim that we should be able to cite whomever we please.

6. The claim that `it isn't good practice to criticize or insult 3rd
   parties without giving them a chance to respond.'

7. The interpretation of this claim as saying that we must give
   potentially offended 3rd parties a chance to respond BEFORE saying
   things about them on this forum.

8. The generalization of 7 (itself a misinterpretation of 6) to political
   debate outside the stated domain of electronic mail fora.

9. Our shared human proclivity for taking statements out of context and
   bending them to fit our own argument.  Some of the more comical
   turnings of this discussion have this origin.  (I confess to my share
   of this, in attributing to David Rogers' rather unspecific use of the
   word `unprofessional' more than he may have intended.  That was just
   a silly argument of the form `look, I'm not the only one saying
   this', it contributed nothing of substance.)

10. The fact that some of the exchanges in this discussion involve
    greater time delay than others.  Some of us have seen them (in part)
    only with issue 5.13 of the ARMS-D digest, others have been direct
    addressees of messages being exchanged before they appear in the
    digest.  There is even some mixing of the two types, since Dick
    King's response to me, addressed to me directly as well as to the
    list, never made it to me because of some mailer mishap; and the
    discussion between Carter, Lin, and me excluded King until I
    forwarded the messages to him, and later some of them appeared in
    issue 5.13.  I expect more confusion as participants on the list
    respond to messages in that issue without having seen subsequent
    messages in the direct exchange that did not make that issue.

11. The issue of the importance (potential social and political impact)
    of electronic-mail fora.

12. The related issue of choice between doing something to change an
    objectionable situation vs impotent flaming.  I see the relationship
    between 11 and 12 as follows:

    How many people participate in this forum?  Do we not have people
    expert in various aspects of arms control, including CB weapons, as
    participants?  Is it a valid statement that most of us would object
    to editorial opinion intruding into the selection and editing of
    articles purporting to report scientific findings, in such a way as
    to omit and even falsify relevant facts?  Is it a valid statement
    that a sizeable proportion of us believe that is the case (that SA
    editorial opinion does intrude, etc.)?  If true, then is this not a
    serious breach of trust, since SA is a forum on which many educated
    people rely for some of their information, and is this not
    intolerable?  (Please don't tell me any educated person should know
    better than to rely on SA, I am inveighing *against* impotent flaming!)

    I suggest that a letter to SA noting that a constituency of that
    size and level of expertise is aware of the issues, and and objects
    strongly, would get a response that a letter from an individual
    might not.  I propose that any one of you who feel strongly about
    SA's editorial practice could submit the letter to the list, and
    take non-objection to the letter, except perhaps by a few, and
    perhaps as amended by debate, as endorsement.

    Such a letter of course might raise legal issues that discussion in
    this medium does not.  If you don't believe the issue is important
    enough to research and write such a letter, and incur that legal
    risk, then I believe you, I too assume that it is not so crucial,
    and I don't take your request to ignore SA very seriously.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 6 Nov 85 10:48:19 PST
From: phil%dean@BERKELEY.EDU (Phil Lapsley)
Subject: ALCM, Invasion of Japan

Some comments on two issues:

> Date: 5 Nov 85 07:55:09 EST (Tuesday)
> From: MJackson.Wbst@Xerox.ARPA
> Subject: Re: ALCMs and B-52s
>
> 2) Presumably because of this vaunted accuracy, the cruise has been
>    attacked by some groups as a "first-strike" weapon.  This has
>    never made much sense to me, as it would appear that the long
>    flight time to most Soviet military targets, even from launch
>    points near the border, would enable verification of the attack
>    and launch-on-warning retaliation.  True or false?

My understanding is that this is false; the big win of the ALCM is that
it is supposed to come in at a "sub-radar" alititude, so the Soviets
don't see the missile until it explodes.  Terrain following guidance
systems allow this low alititude.

> Date:     Mon, 28 Oct 85 14:04:54 EST
> From: Will Martin <wmartin@brl.arpa>
> Subject:  Historical A-Bombs and a "what-if"
>
> [...]
>                                Would Japan have surrendered without
> a nuclear strike on the home islands? (After all, it was proposed to
> use the Hiroshima bomb as a demonstration weapon on an island instead
> of making the first use be on a city; this was rejected at the time.
> This would have been a series of "demonstrations", in effect.)

I picked up a copy of _International Security_ the other day,
a journal devoted to strategic concerns.  (It's quite good, but
I don't have the usual bibliographic info on me -- if you want publisher
and all that, let me know and I'll send it to you).

Anyway, one of the articles in the miscellaneous section was titled
something like "Hiroshima: the myth of a million American lives saved."
I found it quite interesting, and will not reproduce the article here
(:-), but the gist was that the Japanese empire was crumbling and would
have surrendered anyway, without the U.S. having to resort to use of
the atomic bomb, or large scale invasion of the Japanese homeland.
Specifically, the author sites that the loss of allied aircraft in
bombing missions over Japan was, in July of '45, down to 0.4% per
mission, and that U.S. SIGINT intercepted several Japanese cables
instructing their ambassador to seek a peace with the U.S., with the
condition that the Emperor be retained as head of gov't.

Interesting reading.

						Phil Lapsley
						phil@Berkeley.EDU
						...!ucbvax!phil

------------------------------

Date:           Wed, 6 Nov 85 11:45:35 PST
From:           Richard Foy <foy@AEROSPACE.ARPA>
Subject:        Criticism &Scientific American

The discussion regarding Scientific American, their accuracy, the Constitution
etc. suggests two comments to me, one regarding ethics, the other regarding
law.

Criticism is ethical only if it is given constructively to the person criticsed.

Slander and libel laws cover the subject of criticising SA on this net. I
suspect that SA  could make a reasonably good case of libel concerning some
of the postings. Libel is usually used by individuals against the media.

Perhaps a third point: unless one discusses a criticism with the party
concerned, one has no opportunity of learning.
richard foy (foy@aerospace.arpa)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 7 Nov 85  8:01:28 EST
From: Bruce Nevin <bnevin@bbncch.ARPA>
Subject: points both meet and moot

The specific issues about Scientific American have been mooted, or at
least muted (muddied?), by a couple of recent messages.

I agree that SA (like Nature, Science, Acta Physica, et al) is not bound
by standards that apply to journalism.  I am not entirely clear what the
obligations are of editors to verify things.  Is it a refereed journal?

It also appears that complaints about editorial distortion apply to WSJ
perhaps more than to SA in this case.

My enumeration of issues was of course incomplete.  (Building up a
message in an editor piecemeal between the tasks they pay me to do here
doesn't help the process!)  Two important issues I omitted concern the
question of civility.

13. I still feel it is crucial to good communication, particularly in this
    medium, to start with certain positive assumptions about one's
    interlocutors, which include:

        You are intelligent, not dumb; competent in the areas in which
    	you are expressing opinions, not totally incompetent in them.

        You are honest, not deliberately deceptive.

        What you are saying is almost certain to be ambiguous, given the
    	nature of human language, and I may not have understood your
    	intended meaning.  (This is exacerbated by the relatively
	hurried way we sometimes respond, and the lack of immediate
	corrective feedback of the sort that we use unconsciously in
	face-to-face dialogue.)

    I feel we should downgrade those assumptions only when events
    warrant it, and under protest.  That is, if you feel I am not
    competent in an area where I am expressing an opinion, you can and
    should do the obvious:  suggest that I am not well informed, and
    offer additional information.

    I think these are standards that we do in fact set for ourselves.
    They may be obvious, but they bear stating because we often do not
    observe them (honored more in the breach than in the observance, as
    the cliche goes).  I think a quick review of the archives of this
    and most other electronic-mail fora will confirm this.

14. I still feel we should let 3rd parties (those unfortunates without
    access to this forum) know about debate that concerns them, and find
    out what they have to say.  Lin contacted Meselson and we found out
    that some of our WSJ facts were wrong.  Meselson may not have cared
    that we were talking about him, but it might make a difference to
    him, we do not yet know.  This does not mean we stop discussion and
    hold our breaths until we hear from all potentially affected
    parties.  (You have to be assuming I am dumb to read that in!)

Notice that these issues have nothing to do with Emily Postian
etiquette, with all its social-class overtones that can be so
infuriating to many of us.  Except insofar as those upper-crust
(Procrustean) rules were intended to foster good communication.

	Bruce Nevin
	bn@bbncch.arpa

	BBN Communications
	33 Moulton Street
	Cambridge, MA 02238
	(617) 497-3992

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 7 Nov 85 13:07:25 EST
From: Bruce Nevin <bnevin@bbncch.ARPA>
Subject: a legal issue

And there is probably a legal issue.  Were someone actually to
draft a letter and lobby for amendments and tacit support from
participants on this forum, as I described, it would probably
contravene some legal requirement on traffic using the ARPAnet.
(That description was hypothetical, Sir!  And contrafactual
to boot!  Honest it was!)

Anyway, it's about time I covered all my submissions over the
past few days with a disclaimer:  my opinions do not necessarily
reflect those of my employer, etc.

	Bruce Nevin
	bn@bbncch.arpa

	BBN Communications