[mod.politics.arms-d] Arms-Discussion Digest V5 #29

ARMS-D-Request@MIT-MC.ARPA (Moderator) (11/25/85)

Arms-Discussion Digest                Monday, November 25, 1985 9:45AM
Volume 5, Issue 29

Today's Topics:

                      Smuggled nuclear weapons?
                    Arms Control and Human Rights

Date: Mon, 25 Nov 85 02:58:18 est
From: delftcc!sam@nyu.arpa
Subject: Smuggled nuclear weapons?

Suppose a small nuclear bomb were flown into the U.S.  (This is surely
easy, since C-5 cargo planes full of drugs come in regularly over the
southern border.)  The bomb, well-shielded against detection and
equipped with a remote-control detonation device, could be hidden in a
U.S. city.

There is an old SF story based on the premise that detecting hidden
nuclear bombs in cities will become a big priority.  But I haven't seen
anything else on the subject.  Is there something that makes this
scenario impossible?  The implications, if not, are serious.

----
Sam Kendall
Delft Consulting Corp.
(212) 243-8700
{allegra, seismo!cmcl2, ihnp4}!delftcc!sam

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Nov 85 02:53:57 PST
From: ihnp4!ihnet!eklhad@ucbvax.berkeley.edu
Subject: Arms Control and Human Rights

During the recent arms control negotiations,
the issue of human rights was raised again and again.
We (the U.S.) seem to be saying "shape up, or no substantive arms
agreements will be forthcoming".
I believe this is an irresponsible position that is, at best,
counterproductive.  Don't get me wrong, human rights
is an important issue that must be discussed,
but it pales into insignificance when compared with arms control.

We must first recognize that these complex human rights issues
are not always black and white.
First consider our perspective.
We are appalled by the Solviet treatment of political prisoners,
and disgusted by their expansionist tendencies.
We claim we have simple solutions, eloquently described in the
Bill of Rights.  If only they would shape up!!!

Now consider their perspective (something rarely done).
Their homeland has been invaded repeatedly,
and 20,000,000 died during the last war.
Now, they want lots of "communist" territory between them and the west.
This helps explain (not justify) their expansionist tendencies.
They believe we increase our sphere of influence
through subtle manipulative economic means.
The Solviets consider this to be as bad as an invasion.
Furthermore, they claim we violate human rights daily, albeit indirectly.
Our government sits back, and watches the cycle of poverty repeat
in our filthy slums.  They consider our level of crime to be a constant affront
to human rights.  They have such simple solutions,
namely a controlled economy and a closed strong government.
If only we would shape up!!!

I am not trying to defend either side here,
but I point out that these issues are not simple.
They will not be resolved in the foreseeable future,
and we simply cannot wait for arms control any longer.

In this respect, the Solviet government is infinitely more
sensible than our own.  There are areas, fundamentally related to arms control,
which we refuse to compromise on, and yet they are still willing to negotiate.
They are specifically opposed to the SDI proposal,
which borders on violating the spirit (if not the letter)
of an established treaty.  Reagan is not willing
to budge an inch on this, and yet the Solviets
are still talking about arms reductions.  Only talk so far, but a start.
Meanwhile, congress runs around flaming about human rights.
Many congressmen (Nightline, ABC, nov 21) seemed completely unwilling to
negotiate with the Solviets until these (relatively) insignificant
issues are resolved.
Yet, I cannot think of a more blatant human rights violation
(and other species as well) than our current arms race.
A human rights violation we both participate in.
I hope there is no "linkage" between arms control,
and the many other unrelated issues.
We may not like the way they conduct their internal affairs,
or their expansionist actions, but we *must* negotiate arms control
in spite of the differing ideologies.  The world depends on it.

karl dahlke   ihnp4!ihnet!eklhad

End of Arms-Discussion Digest