[net.sf-lovers] SF and MUSIC

phil@rice.ARPA (07/17/85)

From: William LeFebvre <phil@rice.ARPA>

> And while we're on the subject, where in the real **HARD SCIENCE**
> stories is music, or any of the arts?

Do you consider Anne McCaffrey (sp?) "hard science"?  "Hard science
fiction"?  Well, anyway, the arts certainly played an important part in
her dragonrider trilogy, and even more so in her harper hall trilogy.
The Masterharper was a very important person on Pern -- he and his
underlings were the keepers of tradition and the individuals that
inspired honor in the people of Pern.

And (VERY mild SPOLIER HERE...) one of the major problems that Pern had
was a lack of communication between generations because of a lack of
written history.

			William LeFebvre
			Department of Computer Science
			Rice University
			<phil@Rice.arpa>
                        or, for the daring: <phil@Rice.edu>

callaghan%pseudo.DEC@decwrl.ARPA (07/18/85)

From: callaghan%pseudo.DEC@decwrl.ARPA  (Gaylene Callaghan DTN:523-4523)

about SF and music, and music as an integral part
of the story in *"HARD"* SF......

What about the Crystal Singer by Anne McCaffrey(?) ???

Or don't you classify that as *hard* SF? Seems that music
was the main theme for the story....

Gaylene

4CCVAX..PDUQUETTE@ymir.UUCP (07/31/85)

From: Will Duquette <engvax!ymir!4CCVAX..PDUQUETTE@cit-vax>

This is really fantasy and music, but what the heck.  John Myers Myers
(author of _Silverlock_, a true gem of a book) has also written a novel
entitled _The Harp and the Blade_, which I believe is just out in
mass market form.    The novel concerns a Bard, who's name I forget, and
is actually a fairly straightforward tale set in a strife-torn medieval
Europe.  The tie in with music is that some of the songs the Bard has
written are contained in the book.  No music, just lyrics, but they're
plenty much fun.  After reading one of the Bard's tirades, one understands
why people didn't like to get Bard's mad at them....

					Will Duquette

"Obscurity is my Business"