[net.music] THE MAGAZINE by R.L.J.

boyajian@akov75.DEC (11/04/84)

> From:	internet!Christopher A Kent <cak@PURDUE.ARPA>

> Anybody else have opinions on this album? I'm growing to like it,
> despite the increased amount of slick production over "Rickie Lee
> Jones" and "Pirates"....

Yeah, my first impression is that it's a tad over-produced, and seems to be
leaning away from the jazzy blues of her earlier material to a more artsy-
pretentious feel. Still, it was rather pleasant to listen to.

> BTW, the Phonogram catalog shows that Rickie Lee did two other albums;
> I've never seen them. Anybody have a line on them?

*Two* other albums?? Are you sure one of them isn't a single? The only album
other than RICKIE LEE JONES, PIRATES, and THE MAGAZINE that I know of (I have
it -- both disk and cassette) is a 10" disk entitled GIRL AT HER VOLCANO. It's
a rather interesting little record of some live material, including nice covers
of "Don't Walk Away, Rene'" [sic, of course] and "Under the Boardwalk". The
reason I have both disk and cassette is because after I had already bought the
disk, I ran across the cassette and found out that it had a song, "Something
Cool", that wasn't on the disk. Since I'm a RLJ fan and a completist...

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Maynard, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA