[mod.politics.arms-d] Arms-Discussion Digest V5 #85

ARMS-D-Request@MIT-MC.ARPA (Moderator) (01/03/86)

Arms-Discussion Digest                Thursday, January 2, 1986 6:01PM
Volume 5, Issue 85

Today's Topics:

                            Kadafi's Libya
                       Cooperating WWI soldiers
                    technological advance != death
                          Aircraft Carriers
                               Summits
                         Conflict Resolution
                              WWII & WWI

Date:     Thu, 2 Jan 86 9:58:11 EST
From:     Jim Hofmann <hofmann@AMSAA.ARPA>
Subject:  Kadafi's Libya

I have heard people say that Kadafi's recent remarks are paramount
to a declaration of war and that we should respond by attacking now
particularly before he builds his long-range nuclear missle.

Israel is apparently preparing to do this right now.  Question is:
will Egypt let Israel go through its territory to attact Libya's
weak side.

"If they ["civilian Palestinians"] are followed and harassed, then
we have the right to follow and harass American citizens in their own
streets and we have the right to follow Jews in the occupied Palestine."

"agression [against Libya would mark the] beginning of the end."

"There will be no peace in the Mediterranean, no American airlines,
no trade, military or non-military ... It will turn over the table
(???) both within the Mediterranean zone and in the Middle East, perhaps
in the world" [KADAFI]

[IN THE SAME ARTICLE] "..the Reagan administration is reported to have
approved a CIA plan to subvert his regime ... have ... two potential
trgets in Libya in possible US reaction to the airport attacts."

[IN A RELATED ARTICLE] Peres of Israel says they will "act with all the
means at its disposal:  pre-emptive operations, direct confrontation
and punitive measures"to combat Palestinian attacts."

"One must ask why Libya [key oil supplier to Europe] is exempt from
political, legal or economic punitive measures - as thought one can maintain
a murder-state ... From Libya come people with silencer-equipped
pistols, and to Libya return people who have committed cold-blooded
murder"

If we join Israel in a "surgical attack" (of which the present
administration is fond of talking about) will Russia react militarily?

Comments?

<I got this information all from the newspapers so standard disclaimers
are of course in order.>

hofmann

------------------------------

Subject: Cooperating WWI soldiers
Date: 02 Jan 86 10:26:45 EST (Thu)
From: dm@BBN-VAX.ARPA

The cooperation of soldiers in the trenches during WWI was described
by R. Axelrod in ``The Evolution of Cooperation''.  Basically, since
troops were stuck opposite one another for long periods of time along
a stable front, they devloped a ``live and let-live'' strategy, much
to the disgust of their officers.

Date: Thu, 2 Jan 86  9:47:13 EST
From: Bruce Nevin <bnevin@bbncch.ARPA>
Subject: technological advance != death