[net.sf-lovers] The Pournelle/ARPANET Split

ian@loral.UUCP (Ian Kaplan) (07/12/85)

In article <2608@topaz.ARPA> JAFFE@RUTGERS.ARPA writes:
>From: "Franz Mark"@LLL-MFE.ARPA
>
>He [Jerry Pournelle] said his account at MIT-MC was terminated by some
>"graduate >student" in charge of accounting, who felt he did not have a
>need for an account.  He knows who this "graduate student" is, and he
>refuses to grovel so that his account is reinstated.  However, he asked
>us to broadcast this little story - presumably so that MIT-MC will come
>to him.

  ARPANET was created so that researchers could communicate with one
  another and share computing resources.  DARPA funds MIT's access to the
  ARPANET for research, not so a science fiction writer of, shall we say,
  controversial talents, can have access.  The "graduate student" in
  question should be commended for denying Mr. Pournelle access.  I suspect
  that most of those in the computer science community have more than
  enough of Pournelle from his column in BYTE.  This is born out be the
  abuse heaped on Pournelle while he was on the net.

  The views expressed here are mine and are not necessarily shared by the
  owners of this computer system.

		     Ian Kaplan
		     Loral Data Flow Group
		     Loral Instrumentation
		     (619) 560-5888 x4812
	     USENET: {ucbvax,decvax,ihnp4}!sdcsvax!sdcc6!loral!ian
	     ARPA:   sdcc6!loral!ian@UCSD
	     USPS:   8401 Aero Dr. San Diego, CA 92123

psc@lzwi.UUCP (Paul S. R. Chisholm) (07/31/85)

< I can use my magic to change the color to red -- but I don't do windows. >

In article <896@loral.UUCP>, ian@loral.UUCP (Ian Kaplan) writes:
>   ARPANET was created so that researchers could communicate with one
>   another and share computing resources.

You're right.  In fact, none of this sci-fi stuff belongs on ARPANET.
And only researchers using micros on ARPA-sponsored projects should
exchange information on microcomputers.
--
       -Paul S. R. Chisholm       The above opinions are my own,
       {pegasus,vax135}!lzwi!psc  not necessarily those of any