[net.sf-lovers] Send to multiple newsgroup

knf@druxo.UUCP (FricklasK) (07/16/85)

This is a request to all those who think that everybody not only
needs to read their review once, but twice or more: STOP POSTING
TO MORE THAN ONE NEWS GROUP!!! (LISTEN LEEPER!) Not all readers of
news read only one newsgroup, net.sf-lovers!  When I want to read
a major movie review, I read net.movies.  When I want to read a book review
of a NON-SF book, I read net.books.  And when I read a review of the new
book by Piers Anthony, I expect it to be in net.sf-lovers. (Maybe mentioning
Anthony was a bad idea...)  I don't need to see every article twice.  Now
I realize that some of you put a lot of work into your little reviews, but
I STILL don't need to read them twice.  What I ask is the following: use a
teaser! (teaser: [tee-zer] n. a two line description in a newsgroup describing
an article in another newsgroup meant to inform interested parties that an
article they might want to read exists elsewhere.)  For example, Leeper might
post to sf-lovers:

->  SEE NET.MOVIES FOR THE LATEST IN MARK LEEPER'S OBNOXIOUS REVIEWS!!!
->        This week Mark Reviews Mad Max Beyond the Pleasuredome,
->    Blue Sonja, Forward to the Past, Gunkies, and Brunch of the Dead!

This way I only need to read an article once.  Or is this too difficult?
This would also challenge article writers to come up with new and more
interesting teasers.

davidk@dartvax.UUCP (David C. Kovar) (07/17/85)

The author asks us to post to one newsgroup and asks if it's too difficult
to do so. I find it far more difficult to go wading through net.movies
to find the one movie review I want each week than it is for me to hit
the 'n' key once to ignore a duplicate posting. Please KEEP posting
SF movie reviews here, I read them, and I like them, and I like to
discuss them HERE. I realize that there are times when duplicate postings
are not a good diea, but this is not one of them.

--
David C. Kovar
	    USNET:      {linus|decvax|cornell|astrovax}!dartvax!davidk%amber

"I felt like a punk who'd gone out for a switchblade and come back
 with a tactical nuke.

 'Shit', I thought. 'Screwed again. What good's a tactical nuke in a
  street fight?'"
			"Burning Chrome" by William Gibson

psc@lzwi.UUCP (Paul S. R. Chisholm) (07/31/85)

< I can use my magic to change the color to red -- but I don't do windows. >

In article <907@druxo.UUCP>, knf@druxo.UUCP (FricklasK) writes:
>                                               When I want to read
> a major movie review, I read net.movies.  When I want to read a book review
> of a NON-SF book, I read net.books.  And when I read a review of the new
> book by Piers Anthony, I expect it to be in net.sf-lovers.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to post to both net.movies and
net.sf-lovers.  I greatly enjoy review by the Leepers and Peter Rehert,
but I don't get out to enough movies to subscribe to net.movies.

Probably most SF novels shouldn't be posted to net.books; alas, printed
SF is a ghetto for both insiders and outsiders.  There are exceptions:
FOOTFALL is on the bestsellers lists, and reviews could quite reasonably
be posted to both groups (but *not* discussions on "Why would aliens
want our land/water/air/women?")

I subscribe to many of the net.micro groups.  I consider uncessary
cross-posting to me a minor problem there, and even less serious here.
--
       -Paul S. R. Chisholm       The above opinions are my own,
       {pegasus,vax135}!lzwi!psc  not necessarily those of any