[mod.politics.arms-d] Arms-Discussion Digest V6 #15.2

ARMS-D-Request@MIT-MC.ARPA (Moderator) (01/09/86)

Arms-Discussion Digest                Thursday, January 9, 1986 2:46PM
Volume 6, Issue 15.2

Today's Topics:

See 15.1

Date: Thu, 9 Jan 86  9:42:21 EST
From: Bruce Nevin <bnevin@bbncch.ARPA>
Subject: self-fulfilling

> Date: Wed 8 Jan 86 21:02:06-EST
> From: "Jim McGrath" <MCGRATH%OZ.AI.MIT.EDU@MC.LCS.MIT.EDU>
> Subject: International Enforcement Agencies

> While I agree on the need for an international enforcement system, I
> rate the chances of it peacefully evolving as very low.  It is just
> impossible to roll the status quo peacefully into a new international
> order.

An old quote from Henry Ford goes something like this:

	If you say you can, or if you say you can't, you are right.

If you say you can't, you are definitely right.  There is a comfort in
bing certain of something.  But is the comfort of being certain that
fulfilling, in this case?

In the Iliad (or was it the Aenead?) the leader of the Greeks had their
ships burned on the beach near Troy.  He addressed the assembled troops:

        See that smoke?  The only way to get home is to win.
	We win or we die.

That is somewhat the situation we find ourselves in today, collectively.
We are in process of getting that message across to ourselves and to one
another--`we figure out how to do it, or we die'.

Saying `it is impossible' is not a satisfactory response, under the
circumstances.

	Bruce Nevin
	bn@bbncch.arpa

	BBN Communications
	33 Moulton Street
	Cambridge, MA 02238
	(617) 497-3992

[Disclaimer:  my opinions may reflect those of many, but no one else
need take responsibility for them, including my employer.]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 9 Jan 86 11:04:08 EST
From: Jeff Miller  AMSTE-TEI 4675 <jmiller@apg-1>
Subject: Soviet Defense

- I don't pretend to understand how the distribution works between MC and APG,
but I noticed today that my Vol 6, 14.1 message preceeds your Vol 6, 13.1
 message it responds to......

- I need you to clarify a point/question of yours to decide whether or not we
are in disagreement.

< With regard to c3i and logistics >

   Then why do we spend so much money on these things?

   > What makes you think the Soviets don't spend as much or more in the same
   areas?

   That is not the issue.  If we spend money on them, we should get credit
   for them.

- What are you talking about when you say we should get credit for them?  I
was interpreting you to mean that our outlays in money and effort in these
areas offset WP manpower/weapons superiority, as if they had no systems for
c3i/log.  If you are talking about bean counting, compare men/weapons to
men/weapons and support systems to support systems.  I was starting to get the
impression you wanted to count NATO men/weapon & supp sys against WP
men/weapons only.

   ....are you claiming that Soviet C3 and logistics are comparable to NATO?

In terms of technical sophistication, no.  But: a. The gap is not that wide in
sophistication, and  b. The WP is in an advantageous position in terms of ;
1. c3 - The rigidity of their fighting doctrine causes them to be less
concerned with the level of c3 we tend to be obsessed with, 2. log - the WP
has no where near the plethora of different systems of national manufacture,
from underwear to tanks, that NATO has.  Of more importance, the WP has the
great advantage of interior lines, making their LOC/LOS shorter and more
easily manageable.

   This is a specific case of a more general proposition -- the NATO outspends
   the WP in defense even taking in to account differences in manpower costs,
   has more total people under arms, and has more advanced military
   technology.  How come the the balance is so lop-sided?

- In terms of finances, I have no doubt that the West spends more total
dollars on defense.  I suspect that, given a breakout, you would find that the
Soviet Bloc spends more on the basics - the lower-tech conventional war
weapons (tanks, hand grenades, bayonets..), the weapons which will ultimately
decide real wars, than we.  My personal opinion is that ( and this is not
meant to defame scientists or engineers ) western military leaders have been
lulled into a false sense of security under the blanket of the Hi-tech
panacea.  I think back to Vietnam and the ultimate efficacy of our military
technology.  Chasing rats in a cornfield with a bulldozer- you could keep it
up all day long (at great expense,) do an admirable job of destroying the
cornfield.....and never catch a single rat.

- I don't believe there is much to be learned from just comparing dollars
spent on defense.  After all, in the Soviet economy one US $ buys a lot more

bullets and pays a lot more coporals' salaries than in the US.  I find
comparisons of how much of each particular nations' own wealth is expended to
be more interesting.  Unfortunately, on short notice, I could not scrape up
the information on all of the countries involved, just the chart below.

                   Top 15 Defense Spenders In Terms of GDP
                   COUNTRY                            %GDP
                 -----------                      ------------

               Israel                                31.4
               UAE                                   30.4
               Angola                                30.3
               Syria                                 28.6
               Oman                                  28.6
               Iraq                                  21.7
               Mongolia                              20.3
               Vietnam                               20.0
               Yemen, N.                             18.8
               Jordan                                17.9
               Lebanon                               16.5
               Yemen, S.                             15.9
               USSR                                  14.8
               Iran                                  14.7
               Saudi Arabia                          14.4

( We spend 7.5%, or half as much % of our national treasure as the Sovs.)

                        Conventional Force Comparisons
                        Ground and Ground-Based Forces
                            NATO         (US)          WP         (SOV)

Total Manpower :         5.024mil      2.136mil     6.169mil    5.115mil
Reserves       :         5.424mil      1.440mil     7.119mil    5.300mil

Total Ground
Forces         :         2.893mil       .977mil     2.657mil    1.840mil
Ground Forces
Reserves       :         3.313mil       .974mil     4.963mil    3.500mil

Total Ground
Forces, Europe :         1.767mil       .217mil     1.960mil    1.143mil
* Based on open-source 1985 figures

End of Arms-Discussion Digest