[net.sf-lovers] sf music, music in sf, and Operation Chaos author

henry%clemson.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa (07/31/85)

From: Henry Vogel <henry%clemson.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa>

>        Robinson: Many of his "crosstime saloon" stories use music -
>                "Wolfstroker" and the one about Bobbi Joy (is this
>        Also, I remember a couple of very good short stories about
>music/art, but don't remember who wrote them: a wonderful story
>about a woman who teaches a forest to play classical music (what is
>this? I NEED to know!), and an interesting one in analog a year or

Robinson didn't write "Wolfstroker". Alan Dean Foster did. Foster also wrote
the story about the woman who taught the trees to play classical music. I don't
remember the title but both stories are in his short story collection called
"With Friends Like These..." and are highly recommened!

>Can anyone tell me what group wrote/performed the song '2525' (I
>think that's the name)?  I heard it on the radio, but the announcer

The "group" was a duo called Zager and Evans and was came out in late 1969 -
it was even a #1 hit!

>My favorite science fiction album is a two-disc version of H.G.
>Wells' War of the Worlds (titled War of the Worlds) with Richard
>Burton doing narration.  Justin Hayward and David Essex are among
>the artists.  There is a riveting piece titled Thunderchild and
>another called The Spirit of Man.  The Martian's theme is
>appropriatly menacing.  While I don't want to spoil the story I will
>say that playing the album is a Halloween tradition and is the focus
>of our "Find A Three-Day Weekend for August" movement.

I was just about to post a recommendation of this album when I ran across this
posting. Let me just add that this is one of my five favorite albums - I never
tire of listening to it! If you like this, there's also an excellent chance
you'll like Mike Oldfield (Mike is best knows as the author of Tubular Bells,
part of which was used as the theme to the movie The Exorcist - his music isn't
necessarily SF related, but he's my favorite composer and I thought this was an
excellent opportunity to put in a plug for him). Oh yes, War of the Worlds was
recently re-released so you should be able to find a copy somewhere (I have
two - kept in seperate locations in case of disaster).

Chris Miller Miller.pasa@Xerox.ARPA wanted to know who wrote Operation Choas.
It was Poul Anderson. Fun book, worth reading.

Henry Vogel
henry%clemson.csnet@csnet-relay