[mod.politics.arms-d] Arms-Discussion Digest V6 #46

ARMS-D-Request@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU (Moderator) (02/13/86)

Arms-Discussion Digest              Thursday, February 13, 1986 3:28PM
Volume 6, Issue 46

Today's Topics:

                      A hard rain is gonna fall
                         Military Contracting
                     Advanced Light Source & SDI

Date: Friday, 7 February 1986  14:45-EST
From: wolit%mhuxd.UUCP at harvard.HARVARD.EDU
To:   harvard!arms-d-request
Re:   A hard rain is gonna fall

> From: Herb Lin <LIN@MC.LCS.MIT.EDU>
>
>> From: Marc Vilain <MVILAIN at G.BBN.COM>
>>
>> This brings up a similar issue with the Strategic Defense
>> Initiative.
>>
>> If that radioactive debris were distributed
>> uniformly, there would be one lethal dose for every 25 square metres
>> of the northern hemisphere.
>
> Bad assumption.  Most of boost-phase intercept occurs over the Soviet Union.

Oh, really?  I thought we were gonna share our SDI research with the Soviets.
That would mean that half of the boost-phase intercepts will occur over the
U.S.  Besides, the debris from Soviet warheads intercepted in the *TERMINAL*
phase -- which is a much more mature technology -- falls on the U.S. anyway.
-----
Jan Wolitzky, AT&T Bell Labs, Murray Hill, NJ; 201 582-2998; mhuxd!wolit
(Affiliation given for identification purposes only)

------------------------------

Date: Thursday, 6 February 1986  00:27-EST
From: Dave Benson <benson%wsu.csnet at CSNET-RELAY.ARPA>
To:   arms-d@xx
Re: a hard rain is going to fall...

I recall that irrespective of its radioactive properties, Pu is a
highly toxic chemical poison.  If right, large quantities of
Pu in the high atmosphere seems rather poor planning.

Does anyone on arms-d have accurate information on this?

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Feb 86 17:57:44 PST
From: wild%oscar@SUN.ARPA (Will Doherty)
Subject: Military Contracting

This is from a leaflet advertising an upcoming event.

		Speaking Out on
		Military Contracting
		in the Computer Industry

A discussion for Programmers, Technical Writers,
Technicians, and Computer Scientists

		7pm
		Wednesday, Feb. 19, 1986
		Trinity United Methodist Church
		2320 Dana St (at Ellsworth), Berkeley
		The "Living Room"  --  Basement Level

-- is your time being sold to the Star Wars initiative?
-- are you concerned about the increasing influence of
	military contracts on the computer industry?
-- do you wonder if there's anything you can do without
	losing your job ? [:-)]

Let's talk about how we can take action:
	-- educational forums
	-- petitions
	-- other responses

We will circulate a draft statement for discussion at
the meeting.

This meeting is co-sponsored by Computer Professionals
for Social Responsibility (CPSR).  People interested in
reviving the Berkeley chapter of CPSR are encouraged
to attend.  For more information, contact:

		Gary Chapman 415-322-3778

------------------------------

Date: Wednesday, 12 February 1986  19:45-EST
From: michael%ucbiris at BERKELEY.EDU (Tom Slone [(415)486-5954])
To:   arms-d@xx
Re:   Advanced Light Source & SDI

President Reagan's latest budget has on it $100 million for an Advanced Light
Source (ALS) machine at Lawrence-Berkeley Labs.  The ALS will use intense X-rays
to give unprecedented images of living cells and computer chips.  Lawrence-
Berkeley Labs, my employer has no classified work, and is essentially non-
military.  There have been many lay-offs here over the past few years and it
seems peculiar to me for the President to be asking specifically for this
apparently non-military equipment, especially when X-ray lasers are part of SDI.
Is there a connection between the ALS and SDI's X-ray lasers?  More
specifically, will ALS further the development of SDI?

End of Arms-Discussion Digest