[net.sf-lovers] SF Bar Stories

boyajian@akov68.DEC (JERRY BOYAJIAN) (07/20/85)

> From:	spar!freeman	(Jay Reynolds Freeman)

> In article <492@mmintl.UUCP> franka@mmintl.UUCP (Frank Adams) writes:
>
>>BTW, did those stories by Clarke create the "tall tales in a bar" subgenre,
>>or did someone else do it even earlier?
>
> Wasn't James Branch Cabell (correct spelling optional) an earlier SFnal (or
> at least fantasy-nal) perpetrator of such stories?

No. I suspect that you're thinking of Edward Plunkett, Lord Dunsany,
whose tales of Mr. Jorkens and the Billiards Club appeared at least
as early as the 30's (the first --- of five --- collections appeared
in 1931), While these aren't strictly *bar* stories, they are close
enough.

De Camp and Pratt's Gavagan's Bar stories also pre-date Clarke's
White Hart by a few years.

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Acton-Nagog, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}
	!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA

<"Bibliography is my business">