[mod.politics.arms-d] Arms-Discussion Digest V7 #50

ARMS-D-Request@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU (Moderator) (11/08/86)

Arms-Discussion Digest                 Friday, November 7, 1986 6:50PM
Volume 7, Issue 50

Today's Topics:

                  prompt responses to nuclear attack
                           prompt response
                waiting a while before taking revenge
                           Yet more on SDI

Date: Fri, 7 Nov 1986  15:07 EST
From: LIN@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU
Subject: prompt responses to nuclear attack

    From: <"NGSTL1::SHERZER%ti-eg.csnet" at RELAY.CS.NET>

      Given that we have a place for tankers to land and refuel, we can keep
      SOME of the bombers in the air for 24 hours. This means the use of
      airfields which will not exist after the Soviet attack so it is not
      feasable in this situation. Also, the time needed is more like 36 hours
      (they still need to fly to the USSR). After talking with a firend
      who is a retired tanker navigator, I was assured that it is not
      possible to keep the tanker and bobmer force aloft for the 24 hours
      (much less the actual 36 hours).

      So, after 24 hours, we have no land based ICBM's, no bombers, some
      (exact number unknown) of subs. We also have no way to order the
      retaliation (because of no C3).

I agree we can't keep the entire force in the air for 24 hours.  But
as you note, we can keep some of it in the air for that long.
Submarines are capable of launching without a go-code.  That is still
a formidable force.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Nov 1986  15:14 EST
From: LIN@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU

    From: lin

    From: ut-sally!ut-ngp!melpad!reality1!james at seismo.CSS.GOV
    Exactly how long would it take the Soviets to completely destroy all
    land and
    air based systems in an all out attack?  My assumption is that
    everything but
    the submarine based forces would be long gone by the time 24 hours rolled
    around..

If it is an assumption, then I can't challenge you.  If it is a
prediction, then it depends on the nature of the attack.  An attack
heavy enough to kill all the non-submarine forces is enouch to warrant
an all out retaliation on the S.U.

    ... the president and most other command forces would also be
    "incapacitated".  I have no idea how fast the military system could be
    disabled, but since it is so easy to track the location of the president, I
    must assume that the president would be a primary target in an attempt to
    confuse the command picture (and there's no way a first strike would miss
    the president).

But there are back-ups available to the President.

    Rather than say "if the Soviets want it, it must be bad", one might say "If
    the Soviets want it, it *might* be bad".

I'd like to keep the Soviet preferences out of any discussion
regarding what is good for the U.S.  I don't care why they say what
they say.  If the Soviets want X, X might be good or it might be bad.
I don't see how saying they want it should strengthen or weaken an
argument for or against X.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Nov 1986  15:20 EST
From: LIN@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU
Subject: prompt response

    ...  Do you
    really believe that the remaining submarines we would have would have
    even a slim chance at destroying the Soviet military after our silos,
    bombers, major cities like Washington D.C., and probably all of our
    military bases have been destroyed?

After such an attack, we would go after the entire target set of the
S.U.  The power of a submarine is not to be trifled with.

    Even if they did survive, and
    even if they had enough power to do the job, they won't have a common
    communication link!

They don't need it to launch a retaliation.

------------------------------

Subject: waiting a while before taking revenge
Date: 07 Nov 86 18:27:16 EST (Fri)
From: dm@bfly-vax.bbn.com

>  From: cfccs at HAWAII-EMH
>
>  I don't know where your head is on the 24
>  hour wait issue.  Do you really believe that the remaining submarines
>  we would have would have even a slim chance at destroying the Soviet
>  military after our silos, bombers, major cities like Washington D.C.,
>  and probably all of our military bases have been destroyed?  Even if
>  they did survive, and even if they had enough power to do the job,
>  they won't have a common communication link!  It was just destoyed
>  along with all the bases and the battle staff!  I know the Navy has an
>  over-inflated vision of its own power, but this is absolutely
>  ridiculous!  Even they would say so!

Well, I'm not sure I want to defend the whole 24-hour delay idea, but
it's not as ridiculous as you let on.

Assume the Soviets miss ONE Trident Submarine.  I've forgotten the
exact numbers, but I think there are (potentially) 400 independently
targetable warheads on that ONE SUBMARINE (40 Trident missles, each
potentially carrying up to 14 warheads (Herb, are these numbers
correct)?)

If I were the commander of that submarine (and I were willing to
commit mass murder in revenge for mass murder) I would give serious
thought to using a shotgun approach to retaliation, aiming for every
city with population greater than 20000 in the SU.  If I were a
Pentagon planner contemplating a potential reactions to a first strike,
there would already be sealed envelopes on board every missle-carrying
sub with just such a contingency plan.

No need for a communication network, although there might be a few
TACAMO planes circling the Pacific and North Atlantic.

Of course if they get all the Tridents and leave only a Poseidon, that
leaves only about 72 warheads (24 missles at 3 warheads each).  It is
instructive to look in an almanac at the list of the 100 biggest
cities in the Soviet Union, and think about destroying the biggest 72.

Thinking about it a bit more, I think I might wait even LONGER than 24
hours.  It isn't really neccessary to kill the grandmothers and
children in Kiev or the laborers in Krasnoyarsk.  Those people are
probably more or less on your side.  The people from whom you want to
extract your revenge are going to spend the first couple of weeks
after the war relatively safe in concrete bunkers.  I'd wait two
MONTHS, and launch a surprise retaliation in hopes of getting the
Soviet leaders in the open rather than in their bunkers.

------------------------------

3-Nov-86 21:49:24-EST,2913;000000000000
Date: Monday, 3 November 1986  08:04-EST
From: Jane Hesketh <jane%aiva.edinburgh.ac.uk at Cs.Ucl.AC.UK>
To:   ARMS-D
Re:   Star Wars flawed #1-of-10

[I received a batch of papers on SDI from some folk in the United
Kingdom; they ask me to release it in the Digest.  They are about 11 K
chars each, and there are 9 of them.  One will appear in each digest.
-- Moderator]

             In Edinburgh on 19 June 1986, three representatives of the
	     Ministry of Defence,  including  members of the Ministry's
	     scientific  advisory  staff  and  of the SDI Participation
	     Office, received  a  day long  briefing  on the subject of
	     SDI.

             The briefing was organized by the  Edinburgh  Computing  and
             Social Responsibility Group, and presented by six experts on
             technical and socio-economic issues relevant to  SDI.   They
             argued  that  SDI  makes demands on computational technology
             that cannot be met, and that in any  case  participation  in
             the   SDI  research  programme  is  not  in  Britain's  best
             interest.

             The major points raised during the day were:

             o    The design of the SDI system and  its  computing  basis
                  would be necessarily flawed.

             o    The implementation of that design in computer  hardware
                  and software would introduce further mistakes.

             o    The system could not be adequately  tested  to  uncover
                  the resulting problems.

             o    Artificial Intelligence offers no magic solutions.

             o    Once deployed, there would be failures that the  system
                  could not detect, which could be catastrophic.

             o    British computing research would be diverted from  more
                  socially   and   industrially   relevant  work  by  SDI
                  participation.

             o    The research community would be divided and weakened by
                  security requirements.

             o    The impact on the British economy of SDI  participation
                  would be negative.

             The meeting was held as a result of the  then  Secretary  of
             State   for   Defence  Michael  Heseltine's  response  to  a
             parliamentary question  by  Tam  Dalyell  (MP)  in  December
             agreeing to such a briefing (Hansard, 9 December, page 631).

             The following 9 messages contain the briefing papers as they
             were presented at this meeting.

             For  further  information,  contact:

                Edinburgh CSR
                3 Buccleuch Terrace
                Edinburgh EH8 9NB
                Scotland

             or:
                Frank van Harmelen, 031-225 7774 x220 (daytime).
                Jane Hesketh, 031-225 7774 x248 (daytime).
             or:
                frankh%eusip@ucl.cs
             or:
                ...!mcvax!ukc!eusip!frankh

                    ==============================

                                     Introduction

             Statement of the Problem

             On March 23 1983 President Ronald  Reagan,  in  a  broadcast
             speech,  called  for  the  creation  of  a Strategic Defense
             Initiative,  to  render  "nuclear   weapons   impotent   and
             obsolete."   Three  years  later  no-one,  with the possible
             exception of the president himself,  believes  that  such  a
             goal   is   feasible.   No  technologies  exist  or  can  be
             anticipated which would provide the 100% effective wide-area
             defense which would be required to achieve it.  But billions
             of dollars have already been spent in  preliminary  research
             funding,  and  the  budget  proposal currently before the US
             congress calls for a further sum in excess of  four  billion
             dollars  to  be  spent  in the next fiscal year on research,
             development and testing of SDI technologies.   Towards  what
             goal   then,  if  not  the  president's  original  one?   No
             unequivocal  statement   of   that   goal,   in   terms   as
             straightforward  as  the  president's, has appeared.  From a
             variety of sources and statements one judges that  the  core
             of  the  revised goal is to "enhance deterrence" by reducing
             the degree of certainty with which a power  contemplating  a
             first  strike  can  estimate the effect thereof.  Paul Nitze
             has established two criteria  for  any  system  designed  to
             achieve  this  goal  - it must be survivable, that is, proof
             against a pre-emptive attack, and it must be cost  effective
             at  the  margin,  that  is,  it  must  be  more expensive to
             increase the attacking force than to increase the  defensive
             capacity  in  response.   Even  this  latter  criterion  has
             recently come under pressure  from  the  Pentagon,  and  has
             reportedly  been  withdrawn from the most recent report from
             the SDIO (Scotsman 3 June 1986).

                 For the sake of today's discussion, we will assume  only
             the most general technological outline - a layered ballistic
             missile  defense  system,  aiming  at  destroying  attacking
             missiles  by  a combination of land- and space-based weapons
             and command and control systems.  We assume further that the
             most critical as well as the most novel aspect of such a BMD
             system would be the `earlier' layers - boost-phase and  mid-
             course.

             Goals of the meeting

             In  our  presentations  today  and   in   the   accompanying
             discussions, we hope to demonstrate that some of the demands
             placed on computational technology by any  such  BMD  system
             could not conceivably be met in any plausible time frame for
             research and development, and that the entire  programme  is
             thus  fatally flawed and should be abandoned.  Leaving aside
             the question of participation in a project whose  goals  are
             unachievable,  we will also argue that British participation
             in SDI research is against the national interest,  and  that
             the  MOD  should  make  no  effort  to  solicit or encourage
             British institutions, industrial or academic, to participate
             in  SDI  research, and should in fact endeavour to point out
             to them the dangers in such participation.

                 For the record may I state that all those  participating
             today  do  so  in  a private capacity, although in all cases
             speaking on the basis of relevant technical expertise.

             Overview of the technical arguments

             The SDI Battle Management System, if it were  to  be  built,
             would  be  the  largest  and most complex real-time computer
             system ever.  It  would  be  composed  of  land-,  air-  and
             space-based computers networked together, and its task would
             be  to  continuously  monitor  a  vast  array  of   sensors,
             determine  when  a  hostile  missile  attack  had  occurred,
             determine the trajectories of the missiles, allocate  first-
             layer  weapons  to missiles, direct their firing, assess the
             results and try again at the next layer.

                 Can we design such a computer system?  Given  a  design,
             could  we  construct  it  in a way which realised the design
             correctly?  Having constructed it, could we trust it  to  do
             what  we want?  The answer to all these questions is no.  In
             the  presentations  that  follow  we  will   present   brief
             summaries  of  some representative technical arguments which
             lead to this conclusion.  We have left substantial space  in
             the  programme  for discussions after each summary, to allow
             points raised therein to be elaborated, and/or  for  related
             arguments to be discussed.

             The main topics to be covered are:

             o+    The  nature  of  the  SDI  BMS  as  a  fully  automatic
                  decision-making  system,  and  the  implication of this
                  given the active nature of SDI;

             o+    The  gulf  between  existing  Artificial   Intelligence
                  technologies  and the requirements of SDI, particularly
                  in the area of general-purpose systems;

             o+    The    inadequacies    of    existing     system-design
                  methodologies;

             o+    The implausibility of using formal program verification
                  techniques    to    assess    the   accuracy   of   the
                  implementation;

             o+    The inadequacy of built-in  test  equipment  and  fault
                  tolerance,  and  the  insufficiency  of  testing  under

                  simulation.

             Overview of the socio-economic arguments

             The total value of UK SDI contracts is likely to  be  small.
             Nevertheless,  there are reasons for concern in at least the
             following areas:  diversion  of  skilled  personnel  in  key
             fields;  general  distraction and division of the scientific
             and  technological  community;  freedom  of   research   and
             publication;  long-term  effects on the public perception of
             certain disciplines.

             Spin-off beneficial to the UK from SDI research is likely to
             be slight.

End of Arms-Discussion Digest