[mod.politics.arms-d] Arms-Discussion Digest V7 #54

ARMS-D-Request@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU (Moderator) (11/10/86)

Arms-Discussion Digest                Monday, November 10, 1986 9:11AM
Volume 7, Issue 54

Today's Topics:

             Yet more on SDI (Star Wars flawed #5-of-10)
                        defenses, first strike
        Re: killing someone if we had to look them in the eye
                   appropriateness of second strike
                       Meteorite as A-explosion
                       prompt response (2 msgs)
                   defenses, first strike (2 msgs)
                          perfectness of SDI

Date: Monday, 3 November 1986  08:05-EST
From: Jane Hesketh <jane%aiva.edinburgh.ac.uk at Cs.Ucl.AC.UK>
To:   ARMS-D
Re:   Star Wars flawed #5-of-10

                         From Specification to Implementation

                                     Robin Milner

             Abstract

             Producing a specification of a computing system is a largely
             informal  task.   Certainly  the  specification  should be a
             formal (i.e. mathematical or logical) statement of  how  the
             system  should  behave;   but  the specification can only be
             accepted on the basis of human agreement that it  accurately
             specifies the required behaviour.

                 In contrast, the process of building a computing  system
             which  meets  the  specification  can  be completely formal,
             since both specifications and computer programs  are  formal
             objects.

                 Such a formal design process is not normally  automatic;
             it involves interaction between a human and a machine, using
             a formal language of some kind.  The input  to  the  process
             consists  of  the  specification,  and its outcome will be a
             system design whose  every  detail  has  been  validated  by
             formal reasoning.

                 We argue here that  research  in  how  to  conduct  such
             design  processes,  is  in  its early stages; that we cannot
             reasonably predict when it will be well enough developed  to
             cope  with  a  Battle Management System (BMS); and that this
             development is extremely unlikely to occur within  the  time
             apportioned.

             Ratifying a specification

             A specification for a computing  system  is  a  formal  text
             which  describes  the  required behaviour of the system, but
             not how this behaviour is to be realised.    Though  formal,
             it  must be intelligible to non-experts in computing;  it is
             they who must agree upon it.

                 How can the task of agreeing upon a spec be made  easier
             for  these  non-experts?   It  is  not enough to ask them to
             peruse it and announce `OK';  they need to ask it  questions
             -  e.g.  "Does it follow from the spec that if one component
             computer is defective, the system performance will still lie
             within specified limits?"

                 This process may be  called  ratifying  the  spec.    It
             cannot  be left to error-prone human reasoning.  The process
             must  employ  computer-assisted  reasoning,  using  computer
             programs  which  themselves  have been proved to prevent any
             invalid deduction.

                 Techniques for computer-assisted reasoning - both  about
             specs  and  about  programs - are under development.  It is,
             however, rash to predict  when  they  will  be  adequate  to
             ratify  the  spec of BMS.  This for two reasons.  First, the
             size of such a spec is likely  to  be  orders  of  magnitude
             greater than any text hitherto successfully analysed;  it is
             a common experience in complex systems  that  methods  which
             `scale-up'  are  hard  to achieve.  Not only does the effort
             increase non-linearly;  sheer size will raise problems of  a
             new and unpredicted nature.  Second,  the BMS spec is likely
             to involve a variety of formalisms for  logical  statements,
             ballistic  properties, communications media and so on.   The
             design of specification languages which admit such plurality
             of formalism is a rather profound research problem, unlikely
             to be solved adequately within a particular applied project.

             Verifying the software which implements a specification

             Both a spec and a computer program are formal  objects.   In
             principle,  therefore,  the  business  of  verifying  that a
             program  satisfies  a  spec  is  another  task  amenable  to
             computer-assisted  reasoning.   There  is plenty of evidence
             that critical programs which haven't been subjected to  this
             process  actually  exhibit  errors  in  performance;  BMS is
             hypercritical, and must not exhibit errors.

                 At  present,  the  size  of  programs  which  have  been
             verified  formally (i.e. by  computer-assisted reasoning) is
             a small number of thousands of lines.  Again, the problem of
             `scaling-up' the methods to cope with programs of one or two
             orders of magnitude higher is one which will not  be  solved
             within a predictable time.

                 The problem is more intricate for `real  time'  programs
             (like  BMS)  whose  specification  contains  critical timing
             constraints.  It is also harder for programs which  will  be
             run concurrently on several computers; here, the methods for
             formal verification are truly in their infancy - and have to
             cope  with  the verification of communications media as well
             as programs.

                 It is sometimes argued that the process  of  deriving  a
             program  from a spec, in such a way that it is guaranteed to
             meet the spec, can be made automatic.  This has  never  been
             shown  to  work  for any system of reasonable size, and must
             therefore be discounted.

                 The process of verifying a program is fraught  with  the
             same  difficulty of sheer size as the problem of ratifying a
             specification.

             Verifying the hardware which implements a program

             It is  likely  that  a  sophisticated  high-level  language,
             perhaps  Ada,  will  be  needed  for software as complex and
             large as BMS.

                 Such a language must be implemented to  run  on  several
             computers  concurrently.  To verify that this implementation
             is correct is itself a daunting task.  One reason is that it
             is  still  an  open  problem how best to specify this task -
             i.e.  what  mathematics  to  use  to  represent  the  formal
             semantics   of   a  concurrent  programming  language.   The
             attempts for Ada are sadly deficient.

                 This constitutes a vital sub-problem of the whole;  both
             to  ratify  the  semantics of a programming language, and to
             verify its implementation in terms of  the  basic  code  and
             communications  media of a multi-computer system.  I know of
             no successful instances of solving this problem.

             Summary

             We have analysed the passage from  formal  specification  to
             correct  implementation  of  a  BMS into parts, each resting
             critically upon computer-assisted reasoning.  BMS will be of
             such  size and complexity that it cannot be expected to work
             reliably unless this passage is conducted formally; but  our
             conclusion  is  that  any  prediction  of  when this will be
             feasible is rash, precisely because of size and complexity.

                 Be this as it may, this uncertainty is probably exceeded
             by  the  uncertainty  of  whether  the initial specification
             itself is adequate, given the changing world  in  which  BMS
             will  continually find itself.  So the specification and its
             implementation  will  continually  evolve,  compounding  the
             difficulties of verification even further.

             Information about the author

             Robin  Milner  is  Professor  of  Computer  Science  at  the
             University  of  Edinburgh.   He  is also the Director of the
             Laboratory  for  Foundations  of  Computer  Science,   newly
             established  at  Edinburgh  with Alvey and SERC funding.  He
             has worked since 1968 on semantics of computation, including
             concurrent  computation,  aiming  at  rigorous  theories  of
             program behaviour.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Nov 86 20:13:48 PST
From: weemba@brahms.berkeley.edu (Matthew P Wiener)
Subject: defenses, first strike

>From: cfccs at HAWAII-EMH
>Re: defenses, first strike
>
>On the other hand, there is always the chance of an accident or
>irresponsible entity (terrorist or terroristic country?) who has
>nothing to lose, getting a nuclear weapon capability and using it
>indiscriminately.  It seems that no amount of retaliation will deter a
>fanatic who has already decided to give up his life for his cause.

It also seems that SDI will do nothing to prevent a terrorist from
smuggling in a few nuclear weapons, and setting them off from below.

ucbvax!brahms!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Nov 86 22:19:27 PST
From: weemba@brahms.berkeley.edu (Matthew P Wiener)
Subject:  Re: killing someone if we had to look them in the eye

Apropos this subject, I'd like to quote Batman, as presented in Frank
Miller's _Batman: The Dark Knight Returns_:

	A gun ... is a coward's weapon.  A liar's weapon.  We
	kill ... too often ... because we've made it easy ...
	too easy ... sparing ourselves ... the mess ... and the
	work ...

(And shame on you if you haven't read the comic book sensation of the
decade.)

Date: Mon, 10 Nov 86 00:57:23 CST
From: osmigo1@ngp.utexas.edu (Ron Morgan)
Subject: appropriateness of second strike

>of attack on the U.S. you posited, what matters is to
>eliminate the Soviet Union as a functioning national entity.  Under
>this type of response, there is no critical part of the target set.

I've been following this group for quite some time, but have never
submitted any comment. I will raise a question now, however. A number
of times, I've read that the only logical reaction to a large-scale,
generally "successful" Soviet first strike is to *not* strike back.
The main rationales have been, of course, that it would be pointless
murder of millions of innocent people, that there are "no winners,"
that it would accentuate the "nuclear winter," and that we'd be in
such bad shape that it wouldn't really matter WHAT kind of shape the
Soviets were in. I raise the following questions:

1. What do we "officially" fear from the Soviets if we withold
striking back? Occupation? Land invasion? Isolation of Europe?

2. What do you think the Soviets *would* do after a successful strike?
Tanks rolling down the roads? Dark-coated men knocking on doors?

3. How would we react to a single "warning" detonation on a single
city, as in the book "The Third World War"? Massive retaliation?

All in all, there's been so much talk about striking back, "second
strikes," etc., and not a word about what could happen afterwards,
given various alternative responses on our (or their) part.

Ron Morgan

--
osmigo1, UTexas Computation Center, Austin, Texas 78712
ARPA:  osmigo1@ngp.UTEXAS.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Nov 86 00:26:25 PST
From: weemba@brahms.Berkeley.EDU (Matthew P Wiener)
Subject: Meteorite as A-explosion

>						       Besides, the
>conversion of 1 gram of anti-matter (a cube less than 1 cm on a side)
>to energy would produce 9 x 10^20 ergs of energy, which is probably
>enough to split the earth in two.

Uh, off the back of my envelope, if fission works at .1% efficiency, and
an A-bomb uses 1 kilogram of plutonium, then 1 gram of anti-matter gives
us an A-bomb sized explosion.  Moral: ergs are real teensy critters.

Date: Monday, 10 November 1986  06:13-EST
From: cfccs at HAWAII-EMH
To:   LIN, arms-d
Re:   prompt response

Since we agree on most things, why do you still want a 24-hour wait?
This only serves to give the Soviet Union a greater chance of
surviving a war, and perhaps a hope that it might be pulled off
successfully.  I don't really think that anyone there, or here, would
be foolish enough to try it anyway so it doesn't really matter.  What
does matter is that the proliferation of nuclear technology and
weaponry is getting out of hand.  That is what must be addressed!  I
don't think that anyone seriously believes the S.U. or U.S.  will
begin a nucuclear confrontation.  Both have come through too much.  If
it happens, it will be a minor player like Libya or some facsimile.
How are we protected against nuclear weapons held by fanatics with
nothing to lose?  How can we move toward anti-nuclear weapons?

Gary Holt
CFCCS @ HAWAII-EMH

------------------------------

Date: Monday, 10 November 1986  08:56-EST
From: LIN
To:   cfccs at HAWAII-EMH.ARPA
cc:   lin, arms-d
Re:   prompt response

    From: cfccs at HAWAII-EMH

    Since we agree on most things, why do you still want a 24-hour wait?
    This only serves to give the Soviet Union a greater chance of
    surviving a war, and perhaps a hope that it might be pulled off
    successfully.

As I pointed out in a previous message to another discussant, a 24
hour wait provides time to verify conclusively that an attack has
indeed happened, and to think about a proper response.  There IS a
downside to waiting.  I happen to think that it is worth paying
the cost of that downside to obtain conclusive confirmation of attack.
It is precisely because I agree with your statement that

    I [Holt] don't think that anyone seriously believes the S.U. or U.S.
    will begin a nuclear confrontation.

that I judge the odds of such an occurrence to be very low that I want
to be very sure that I have solid and conclusive evidence.  If nuclear
attack were a very likely thing, I might require less evidence.

    What
    does matter is that the proliferation of nuclear technology and
    weaponry is getting out of hand.  That is what must be addressed!

I agree that it is an important problem, worth effort and energy in
solving.  But I don't think that a terrorist nuclear weapon would
start World War III.  The only possible ways for that to happen are if
the US or the SU get involved.

    How are we protected against nuclear weapons held by fanatics with
    nothing to lose?

Probably pre-emptive strikes are the only way.

------------------------------

Date: Monday, 10 November 1986  06:43-EST
From: cfccs at HAWAII-EMH
To:   LIN, arms-d
Re:   defenses, first strike

Some of the topics you mentioned have not died and are not on  a  trash  heap.
They are just not being looked at by the military any longer.  I would like
to hear some of the projects you have in mind that have better odds than SDI.
I would also like to remind you that the odds of SDI are based on *current*
Current technology changes daily.  No one can predict the future.  They only
guess.  The odds of a successful space program weren't very good until
the Soviets did it first.  I also would like to bring attention back to the
attention the Soviets are giving SDI.  If the odds are so low, why are they
so concerned?  Maybe the odds are not as low as has been let out!

Gary Holt
CFCCS @ HAWAII-EMH

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1986  09:07 EST
From: LIN@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU

    From: cfccs at HAWAII-EMH

    I would like to hear some of the projects you have in mind that have
    better odds than SDI.

A real defensive problem is building a man-portable anti-tank weapon
that will work against modern battle tanks.  There is no such beast
now.  Given a billion dollars in R&D money, I am quite certain that we
could build such a thing.

A big defensive problem in Europe is the rapid construction of
anti-tank barriers between East and West Germany.  We should be
working on a way to create such barriers without raising West German
fears that the two Germanys will never be reunited.

The development of mines for anti-submarine and anti-tank warfare is
sadly lacking.  Both would do much to improve U.S. conventional
defense posture.

    I would also like to remind you that the odds
    of SDI are based on *current* Current technology changes daily.  No
    one can predict the future.  They only guess.

Are you willing to bet on the future of a faster-than-light weapon?
Is it worth research money?  Is it worth research money given other
pressing needs?

    The odds of a
    successful space program weren't very good until the Soviets did it
    first.

Not true.  The U.S. has its own program underway when the Soviets
launched the first satellite.

    I also would like to bring attention back to the attention the
    Soviets are giving SDI.  If the odds are so low, why are they so
    concerned?  Maybe the odds are not as low as has been let out!

The Soviet say they are concerned because it is easier to build a
defense against a ragged retaliation than against a first strike.
They note MX, Trident II, Pershing II and so on, and conclude that the
U.S. BMD program is part of a first strike strategy that will leave
them defenseless.

I don't think that's plausible, but I'm not a Soviet.  Look at it from
THEIR perspective, and they're not so crazy.

------------------------------

Date: Monday, 10 November 1986  07:10-EST
From: cfccs at HAWAII-EMH
To:   ARMS-D
Re:   perfectness of SDI

The perfectness of SDI has nothing to do with an immediate dismantling
or a 100% retention of nuclear weapons.  The plan is to reduce nuclear
weapons as the effectiveness of SDI increases.  The plan also includes
releasing the SDI technology to the Soviets, but again, gradually.
Nothing of such a magnitud is done in one move of a chess piece.  It
is done in steps with the goals changing along the way to meet
*current* needs.  Of course the ultimate goal is to have a perfect
system!  Why would anyone set a finite goal to build a faulty
anything?  An engineer would build a machine that comes closest to his
ultimate goal rather than quit because he can't do the whole thing at
once.

CFCCS @ HAWAII-EMH

End of Arms-Discussion Digest