[mod.politics.arms-d] Arms-Discussion Digest V7 #62

ARMS-D-Request@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU (Moderator) (11/19/86)

Arms-Discussion Digest               Tuesday, November 18, 1986 9:16PM
Volume 7, Issue 62

Today's Topics:

             yet More on SDI (Star Wars flawed #9-of-10)
                          Launch on warning
                            Administrivia
                                 LOW
                          Reykjavik Mystery

Date: Monday, 3 November 1986  08:07-EST
From: Jane Hesketh <jane%aiva.edinburgh.ac.uk at Cs.Ucl.AC.UK>
To:   ARMS-D
Re:   Star Wars flawed #9-of-10

                      Impact of UK Participation in SDI Research
                                     Some Issues

                                   Donald MacKenzie

             Summary

             The total value of UK SDI contracts is likely to  be  small.
             Nevertheless,  there are reasons for concern in at least the
             following areas:  diversion  of  skilled  personnel  in  key
             fields;  general  distraction and division of the scientific
             and  technological  community;  freedom  of   research   and
             publication;  long-term  effects on the public perception of
             certain disciplines.

             Scale of UK Participation in SDI

             It seems likely that the total value of UK SDI contracts  in
             the  near  term (say the next five years) will be small - in
             the low tens of millions of  pounds,  perhaps.  The  remarks
             that  follow  are  based  upon  that  assumption.   In  many
             respects the impact on the UK would be graver if  the  total
             size  of  contracts  were  larger.  Nevertheless, a mistaken
             undertaking (as we believe UK participation in  the  SDI  to
             be)  cannot  be  justified  simply  by saying it was a small
             mistake!

             Diversion of Skilled Personnel

             A total UK participation of, say,  30  million  pounds  will
             probably not exacerbate too seriously the overall problem of
             shortage  of  skilled  personnel  in  advanced   information
             technology.  There  are,  however,  particular  `bottleneck'
             areas (e.g. Prolog implementation) where the pool of skilled
             people  in  the UK is very small. In these areas, absorption
             of significant numbers of them into SDI work  could  have  a
             markedly detrimental effect on UK capacities.

             General Distraction  and  Division  of  the  Scientific  and
             Technological Community

             SDI is controversial. For many people SDI involvement  would
             be  a  resigning issue.  Controversy is most manifest in the
             university context (e.g. Heriot-Watt), but we have  informal
             evidence  that  there  is also unease in companies involved.
             There  is  a  serious   risk   that   the   scientific   and
             technological community will become involved in time-wasting
             and divisive disputes. In the university  context  it  seems
             quite  likely  that  this  `negative'  effect  of  SDI  will
             outweigh any `positive' effect of additional  funding,  even
             were  that  `positive'  effect  not  mitigated  by the other
             factors we discuss.

                 Controversy  over  SDI  may  also,  in  the   university
             context, make controversial existing MoD supported work.

             Intellectual Property Rights

             We are informed that the Department of  Trade  and  Industry
             has  raised  objections  to  the Memorandum of Understanding
             (MoU) between UK and US governments on SDI on the grounds of
             the  adequacy  of  the  clauses  concerning the intellectual
             property rights. Other information we have suggests that the
             MoU and subsequent agreement on Administrative Procedures do
             in fact adequately protect UK interests in this  matter.  As
             we do not have access to the relevant clauses of the MoU, we
             are unable to comment on this.

             Freedom of Research and Publication

             In the US there is a considerable and growing `grey area' of
             work  which  is  not  classified  but  which is nevertheless
             considered militarily sensitive: relevant  control  measures
             include  the  1979 Export Administration Act; the Militarily
             Critical  Technologies  List;  new  Department  of   Defense
             security  gradings  for technical data between `approved for
             public   release'   and   the    various    categories    of
             classification;  controls over personnel and computer access
             even on unclassified research. This `grey area' has  been  a
             matter  of great concern in the US, and there have been some
             most unfortunate and highly publicised incidents.

                 We would assert that it is in the interests  of  neither
             the  scientific  and technological community nor the MoD for
             this problem to spread to the UK.  One inherent risk of  SDI
             participation  is  that  SDI  makes  extremely wide areas of
             science and technology `militarily sensitive'.

                 Our concern here is heightened by the statement  of  Mr.
             Bill  Davies  of  the  MoD SDI Participation Office that two
             categories of contract - US government to UK contractor, and
             US  contractor  to  UK contractor - will fall under the laws
             and procedures of the US (item  cited in  the  bibliography,
             statements on page 6).

                 The  most  important  issue  seems  to  us  to   concern
             `foreground'  information (i.e. information generated by the
             UK company or university in the  performance  of  a  US  SDI
             contract)  which  is not straightforwardly classified but is
             nevertheless considered sensitive. To what  extent  is  such
             information  potentially  subject  to  the provisions of the
             Export Administration Act, Militarily Critical  Technologies
             List, etc?

                 The MoU may contain some  degree  of  protection  of  UK
             institutions  here,  but it is of obvious importance to know
             how much.

             Long-Term  effects  on  the  Public  Perception  of  Certain
             Disciplines

             It is naive to present the SDI  as  simply  a  programme  of
             research. On 22 May this year

                 almost half the Senate's 100 members -  46  Republi-
                 cans and Democrats - wrote to the [Senate Armed Ser-
                 vices] committee's leadership  ...  voicing  concern
                 that SDI lacks clear goals and is suffering from un-
                 necessary technical risks because the program is be-
                 ing  pushed too quickly toward a planned development
                 decision early in the 1990's.

             Scientific participation in SDI is being used as part of the
             process  of pushing the programme. James Ionson, director of
             the SDI Innovative Science and Technology Program said:

                 ... this office  is  trying  to  sell  something  to
                 Congress.  If  we can say that this fellow at M.I.T.
                 will get money to do such and  such  research,  it's
                 something real to sell.

             If SDI ends as an expensive fiasco (as we believe), it  will
             not rebound to the credit of any institutions or disciplines
             that have been made use of in this way.

             Selected Bibliography

                 Bill Davies,
                 The SDI Participation Office: the Interface with Industry,
                 British Defence Exports Conference,
                 24-25 April 1986.

                 European Parliament, Committee on Energy, Research and Technology,
                 Draft report on the Proposal to establish a European Coordinating Agency
                 (EUREKA) and on Community Participation in Star Wars Research,
                 28 February 1986.

                 P.J. Klass,
                 Defense Department Restricts Papers at SPIE Technical Conference,
                 Aviation Week and Space Technology,
                 15 April 1985.

                 Political Opposition to SDI Program Grows Nationwide,
                 Aviation Week and Space Technology,
                 2 June 1986.

                 William Hartung
                 Star Wars Pork Barrel,
                 Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists,
                 January 1986.

                 Rosemary Chalk,
                 Continuing Debate over Science and Secrecy,
                 Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists,
                 March 1986.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1986  12:42 EST
From: LIN@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU
Subject: Launch on warning

    From: Clifford Johnson <GA.CJJ at forsythe.stanford.edu>

    What will be done is that the President (or military conferees) will
    be provided with the opportunity to take a retaliatory decision
    based on a 5-way categorization of the attack.  That's the "as
    pursued" launch on warning policy.  My (Oxford American) dictionary
    states that a "policy" is "any general plan or course of action
    engaged in by a goverment" etc.

We agree that the US government will have the opportunity to take make
a retaliatory decision.  Thus, according to your definition, we have a
policy of deciding what to do.  We don't have a policy of executing an
LOW, but rather a policy of deciding whether or not to execute an LOW.

    There's a preemption targeting policy, and a set of procedures,
    which, as with launch on warning, provide for the taking of a
    preemption decision.

So by your definition, the U.S. has a "policy of X" if it has a set of
procedures that provide for the taking of a decision of whether or not
to do X.  Do I understand you?

        In a previous message, you said to me that IF the reports of
        incoming missiles could be guaranteed to be true, you
        *might* be willing to execute a launch on that warning.  Do
        you still hold to that position?

    No.  I used to think a strategic (non-sensor) warning could
    conceivably give rise to a certainty. Having since studied the
    matter, I agree with the standard authorities who uniformly
    conclude that a strategic warning is much flakier than a tactical
    warning.  So, there being no possibility of such certainty, this
    is a discussion I can't logically conceive of any more.

I'm not talking about strategic warning -- I agree that strategic
warning is much flakier than tactical warning.  I mean
guaranteed-correct tactical warning.

        I don't believe that the operation of an LOWC indicates a
        threat of imminent hostilities.

    "Imminent"= likely to occur at any moment, according to my
    dictionary.  I construe the emphasis to be on the "at any moment"
    quality, without particular regard to the size of the likelihood,
    so long as it is not vanishingly small.

By imminent hostilities, do you mean that the operation of LOWC iteslf
indicates imminenent hostilities (i.e., hostilities that the
capability itself would lead to), or imminent hostilities due ot
other influences, such as Soviet actions?  If the first, then you are
right by definition.  If the second, then I don't see how.

    It's the imminent risk of unintentional
    launch due to such things as unreliable sensors that makes
    operating a LOWC a form of first-use *at law*.

So if you were guaranteed to have perfect sensors, operating LOWC
would be OK?  BTW, I don't understand what "at law" means.

    You make my point that game theoretic structures cannot be applied
    to *bridge the gulf* between conventional and nuclear war games.
    So the simple question is, do you start the game or not?

You try not to.  But if deterrence fails, and the Soviets begin to
march into Europe, what do you do?  What is your recommendation?  If
the choice is nuclear use or surrender, what then?  I certainly agree
that we should do all we can to avoid coming to that point, but what
happens if you do?

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1986  13:15 EST
From: LIN@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU
Subject: Administrivia

==>> Someone at TRIDENT.ARPA please help

    Date: Wednesday, 12 November 1986  20:08-EST
    From: Mail Delivery Subsystem <postmaster at trident.arpa>
    To:   <ARMS-D-Request>
    Re:   Returned mail: Service unavailable

    >>> HELO trident.arpa
    <<< 553 trident.arpa I refuse to talk to myself
    554 <arms-d-local@AMES.ARPA>... Service unavailable: Bad file number

==>> Help from The SuperUser <root at apg-1.ARPA>

    Mail addressed to host apg-4.arpa could not be sent
    for the following reason:

	    550 User "armsd-4" Unknown.

------------------------------

Date:     Tuesday, 18 Nov 86 15:36:23 EST
From:     sclafani (Michael Sclafani) @ a.psy.cmu.edu
Subject:  LOW

It seems to me that an implication of Bayes Theorem in probability
might have some relevance to this discussion.  When a test is performed
for an event of low probability, if the test has even an small
probabilty of returning a false positive, then the chance that a positive
result is valid becomes small.  Specifically:

P(attack|warning)

		     P(warning|attack) * P(attack)
 = -----------------------------------------------------------------
   P(warning|attack) * P(attack) + P(warning|noattack) * P(noattack)

An arbitary example: Assume we will always detect a real attack, or
P(warning|attack)=1.  Assume that P(attack) is 1/10000, since it's not
happened yet.  Assume that P(warning|noattack) is 1/1000, since many
cases of malfunction exist.  Then, the chance that a warning received
indicates a real attack is about 9%.

Assigning values here is a game that anyone can play.  Kennedy is attributed
with estimating the chance of war at 1 in 3 during the missile crisis.  The
chance of a false warning is easier to get a handle on.  I think this might
be useful to keep in mind when dealing with Launch On Warning.

Michael Sclafani
Carnegie-Mellon University
Undergraduate Student
Internet: sclafani@a.psy.cmu.edu

------------------------------

Subject: Reykjavik Mystery
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 86 15:10:49 -0800
From: crummer@aerospace.ARPA

>>>Gorbachev: Let's eliminate all missiles, and you don't deploy SDI
>>>           within 10 years.  Reagan: Let's eliminate all missiles, and
>>>I have to deploy SDI
>>>           within 10 years.
>>>		=====> NO DEAL <=====
>>>
>>>The mystery that I don't understand is: If all missiles have been
>>>eliminated, why would somebody want to deploy SDI?

   Perhaps R. Reagan, as apropos his own communication, doesn't take
Gorbachev seriously; just takes his words as he would a used car commercial.

>>>Without balistic missiles, it would be foolish for Americans to deploy
>>>SDI.  Therefore Reagan seems to have made a mistake, trying to
>>>maintain SDI even after it (SDI) has been made obsolete and aimless by
>>>missile ban.

   This sounds like breakthrough stuff: "A verifiable treaty that
   makes Star Wars impotent and obsolete."

>>>However, Gorbachev has also made a mistake by preventing Reagan from
>>>deploying SDI.  He should have said, "Go ahead; make my day."  If the
>>>deployment were at all feasible.  The Americans would have looked very
>>>dumb to the world sending up weapons to shoot at retired missiles.

   Unfortunately for our self-esteem Gorbachev's fear of SDI is quite
sensible.   According to Maj. Dr. Pete Worden of the SDIO: "... some
of the very same directed energy technologies that we are looking at,
lasers and particle beams, if you will, could be turned against your
defensive components.", and also satellites.  Satellites are in
predictable orbits; sitting ducks.

>>>Isn't this conclusion easy to reach?  Or, alternatively, maybe there
>>>is a hidden purpose of SDI which would explain their behavior at
>>>Reykjavik?  Could somebody illuminate me on the reasons why Reagan,
>>>Gorbachev, and 65% of the American public supporting Reagan's stance
>>>at the pre-summit, believe that the right thing was done at Reykjavik?

   My guess is that people think of him as a responsible, truthful,
serious person who wouldn't lie to the public.  The evidence seems to
show, to me at least, that he uses words to sway public opinion, not
to communicate the truth.

>>>More concretely:
>>>
>>>1. Why did Reagan insist on SDI when there would be no missiles?

      He wants superiority to, not parity with the Soviet Union.

>>>2. Why did Gorbachev insist on the non-deployment of SDI when there
>>>   would be no missiles?

      He doesn't want his enemy to control space.  He wants to launch
rockets without having to clear the launches with Washington.

>>>3. Why did 65% of American public believe Reagan did the right thing?

      The American people like Reagan, they WANT to believe him.

>>>		-Calton-
>>>		Fearfully ignorant

                (I don't think so; not any more so than thi kid who
didn't understand why the emperor was naked.)

  --Charlie

End of Arms-Discussion Digest