[mod.politics.arms-d] Arms-Discussion Digest V7 #66

ARMS-D-Request@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU.UUCP (11/22/86)

Arms-Discussion Digest                Friday, November 21, 1986 9:02PM
Volume 7, Issue 66

Today's Topics:

                             Selling SDI
                         RFP:  Star Wars game
                          Launch on warning
                       invasion of Soviet Union
                             SLBM Launch
                    ground based missile defenses
             Yet More on SDI (Star Wars flawed #10-of-10)

Date: Thu, 20 Nov 86 11:49:38 EST
From: campbell%maynard.UUCP@wjh12.HARVARD.EDU
Subject: Selling SDI

>Date: Thursday, 13 November 1986  00:26-EST
>From: cfccs at HAWAII-EMH
>Re:  Selling SDI
>
> o SDI is sold to the masses and Congress via spectacular exaggeration
>   about what it will accomplish.
>
>I haven't seen any spectacular exaggerations.  Any examples?

Don't you remember Reagan's prime-time soft-shoe about the "Peace Shield"?
The posterboard graphic with little missiles bouncing off a rainbow or
something, and smiling Americans underneath the rainbow?  In case you
missed it, or forgot:  Reagan claimed that SDI could completely shield
the American population from nuclear attack by the Soviet Union.  Sounds
like spectacular exaggeration to me, folks.  *No one* associated with SDI
will defend that claim today.

>All we have is different people trying to see into the future without even
>trying the water.  An analogy for both sides of the issue is trying to walk
>on water.  One side declares it cannot be done because it is impossible.  The
>other declares it can be done, we just haven't figured out how yet!  Is that
>a good reason to quit trying?

Yes, if "trying" costs hundreds of billions of dollars that could better
be spent elsewhere -- like on feeding the hungry, improving the economy,
making American industry more competitive in the world market, curing
cancer or AIDS...  Walking on water might be fun, but few people would
be willing to allocate $200 billion to trying to figure out how to do it.
--
Larry Campbell       MCI: LCAMPBELL          The Boston Software Works, Inc.
UUCP: {alliant,wjh12}!maynard!campbell      120 Fulton Street, Boston MA 02109

------------------------------

Date: Thursday, 20 Nov 1986 12:01:27-PST
From: jong%delni.DEC@decwrl.DEC.COM  (Steve Jong/NaC Pubs)
Subject: RFP:  Star Wars game

The excellent Macintosh computer game "Balance of Power" is a
political game, in that it promotes a particular view of
superpower politics, well coated by excellent graphics, stuffed
databases, realistic scenarios, etc.

Recent ARMS-D submissions have imagined extending arcade skills to
SDI, invoking the image of champion video-game players watching
monitors of Soviet ICBMs rising from their silos and trying to zap
them with orbital battle platforms controlled by the operators'
joysticks.

It seems to me that someone could (should!) write the "Star Wars
Game," making the player just such a video Defender of the
American Homeland.  The view could be from a network of orbital
sensors (under constant Soviet attack, of course), and the players
would have to watch moving targets (hundreds during boost phase,
more after MIRV separation) and discriminate warheads from decoys.
Then players would have to zap the launchers and warheads.  The
game could even have layers, just like SDI; missiles getting past
boost-phase defenses would have to be destroyed via other means.
Afterward, there could be a nifty (grim!) aerial view of blackened
cities, with captions such as, "Here was New York" (or, for the
realists, counts of surviving Minuteman silos :-)

Those who quibble with the feasibility of various SDI technologies
could adjust the parameters to make the layers of defensive weapons
and sensors more or less effective.  The Soviet attack, of course,
would always be the same.

Aside from the game being highly playable (like Missile Command,
but covering the entire trajectory of ICBMs), its political and
technological message would be worth imparting:  that Star Wars is
damn hard.  (Just how hard would depend on the viewpoint of the
programmer, and the adjustments of the players.)

This is not a frivolous proposal.  I think such a game would sell,
and I think it would communicate something worth communicating.
If I could do it myself, I would.  I'll settle for an
acknowledgement.

------------------------------

Date: Tuesday, 18 November 1986  20:45-EST
From: Clifford Johnson <GA.CJJ at forsythe.stanford.edu>
To:   LIN, arms-d
Re:   Launch on warning

Lin>  We don't have a policy of executing an
Lin>  LOW, but rather a policy of deciding whether or not to execute an LOW.

Whoa!   That's the DECLARATORY policy.  The DE FACTO policy is one
of launch on warning.  In the full sense, the decision to retaliate
is already taken, we promise retaliation as part of deterrence.
The ONLY real "decision" that occurs is whether the probability
of a warning being correct is "sufficient" to warrant retaliation.
Given the appearance of an "unequivocal" warning, we are indeed set
to attempt retaliation via launch on warning.  Even today.

Lin>    So by your definition, the U.S. has a "policy of X" if it has a
Lin>    set of procedures that provide for the taking of a decision of
Lin>    whether or not to do X.  Do I understand you?

Not quite.  In that event, it has an "X policy," which, depending
on context, may not be the same of having a "policy of X."

Lin>    By imminent hostilities, do you mean that the operation of LOWC
Lin>    iteslf indicates imminenent hostilities (i.e., hostilities that
Lin>    the capability itself would lead to), or imminent hostilities
Lin>    due ot other influences, such as Soviet actions?  If the first,
Lin>    then you are right by definition.  If the second, then I don't
Lin>    see how.

I mean the first.

Lin>        It's the imminent risk of unintentional
Lin>        launch due to such things as unreliable sensors that makes
Lin>        operating a LOWC a form of first-use *at law*.
Lin>
Lin>    So if you were guaranteed to have perfect sensors, operating
Lin>    LOWC would be OK?  BTW, I don't understand what "at law" means.
"At-law" means if the judges say so.  In my previous appeal,
one of the judges expressed the opinion that operating a LOWC
could be construed, as a matter of law, as a form of first-use,
in that it's past the loss-of-control decision point.

Lin>    You try not to.  But if deterrence fails, and the Soviets begin
Lin>    to march into Europe, what do you do?  What is your
Lin>    recommendation?  If the choice is nuclear use or surrender, what
Lin>    then?  I certainly agree that we should do all we can to avoid
Lin>    coming to that point, but what happens if you do?

At the very least, a nuclear response should be congressionally
authorized.  The decision's obviously too big for one man, and
there would be time to get a congressional subcommittee together.

To:  LIN@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Thursday, 20 November 1986  15:17-EST
From: sundc!oktext!nears!ks at seismo.CSS.GOV
To:   lin, ARMS-D
Re:   invasion of Soviet Union

	From: Eugene Miya N. <eugene at ames-nas>
	...Depending on damage level of the Soviet Union, do we have invasion
	plans (conventional with perhaps some tactical nuc capability?)

    >From: LIN@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU
    Actually, the new naval maritime strategy postulates Marine amphibious
    assaults in two places on the SU during the latter phases of the war.

From where do you have information about U.S. Marines' amphibious
assault strategy or war planning?

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1986  15:32 EST
From: LIN@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU
Subject: SLBM launch

    From: Eugene Miya N. <eugene at ames-pioneer.arpa>

    Targeting and ASW bring up some interesting possibilities. 1) you can't
    assume you will get all shots from your SSBN off... you might be
    3-4 missiles off before your SSBN might be sunk (not worse

It takes 5 minutes to empty 16 tubes.  It isn't guaranteed, but it is
a good bet.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1986  17:12 EST
From: LIN@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU
Subject: ground based missile defenses

    From: cfccs at HAWAII-EMH

        I agree that 80 to 1 (warheads vs ABM) are not good odds for the
        ABM, but what about a retaliatory attack?  There wouldn't be 8000
        warheads, and of those left, not all would be aimed at Moscow.

      Why do you assume that 1 ABM interceptor would destroy on average one
      warhead?

    I'm not assuming anything...  I know nothing about the
    SU ABM system.  Comparing it to what we used to have is like comparing the
    space shuttle to the gemini program...  Do you
    know what the SU has (Not necessarily what the treaty allows)?

They have a system comparable to what Safeguard (what we used to have)
was.  That's supposed to be a generous comparison.  They have 100
interceptors now.

------------------------------

Date: Monday, 3 November 1986  08:07-EST
From: Jane Hesketh <jane%aiva.edinburgh.ac.uk at Cs.Ucl.AC.UK>
To:   ARMS-D
Re:   Star Wars flawed #10-of-10

                                  Spin-off from SDI

                                   Donald MacKenzie

             likely to be slight.

                 The context in which the spin-off must be placed is  the
             following.  The defence share of UK research and development
             spending already exceeds  considerably  that  of  our  major
             European competitors and Japan. But there is little evidence
             of benefits accruing to the  UK  civil  economy  because  of
             this.

                 The question of spin-off  cannot  be  approached  wholly
             `technically'.  Clearly there are areas of technical overlap
             between SDI technologies and  civil  concerns  -  these  are
             probably  more  evident  in the computing and software areas
             than elsewhere, where the overlap may be  quite  small.  But
             the existence of technical overlap in no way guarantees that
             technology developed in a defence programme such as SDI will
             find  civil  application,  or  that the economic benefits of
             such civil application will flow to the countries sponsoring
             the technological developments or in which they take place.

                 The small size of  likely  UK  SDI  contracts  militates
             powerfully  against  any  `spin-off' effects. Thirty million
             pounds is peanuts - if one  is  thinking  in  terms  of  the
             amount  of  capital  needed  to  bring a major technological
             breakthrough to successful commercial exploitation. At  this
             level  of contracts, the division, distraction and diversion
             effects of  SDI  participation  probably  far  outweigh  any
             spin-off effects.

                 Nor would the prospects for spin-off necessarily be  any
             better  at  a  higher  level  of contracts. The difficulties
             faced by the UK in this matter are  well-known:  they  have,
             for example, been well analysed by Sir Ieuan Maddock.

                 In brief, Maddock's conclusion is that many commercially
             exploitable developments are `locked in' defence contractors
             - especially in what he calls `Type  A'  firms,  those  with
             deep  dependence on the defence market, and little expertise
             (sometimes little interest) in  following  civil  commercial
             opportunities.  The MoD are aware of this phenomenon, but it
             is not clear  to  us  that  their  praiseworthy  efforts  to
             overcome   it   are  enough.   A  significant  level  of  UK
             involvement in SDI work would, by increasing  the  focus  in
             key  leading-edge areas on defence applications, cut against
             the efforts to alleviate this situation. It would  be  bound
             to  increase concern about the untypically high level of the
             defence share in British government funded R&D. Demands  for

             a  reduction  in  MoD  research  funding, and a commensurate
             increase in DTI R&D funding, would be bound to increase.

                 The major economic benefit to the UK of high  levels  of
             defence R&D currently comes not from civil spin-off but from
             overseas military sales.  It seems very likely that  the  US
             government  would  seek  to restrict the sale of SDI-derived
             military technology by the UK, even to friendly nations.  If
             SDI   contracts   are   small,   but  in  key  areas,  these
             restrictions may spill over beyond contract work,  narrowly-
             defined,  to the larger projects of which it may be part. So
             little benefit may be gained by the UK (because of the small
             size  of the SDI contracts), but tightening export controls,
             or simply  delays  caused  by  disputes,  may  significantly
             damage  the UK's export potential here. Again, this issue is
             difficult to be clear about without  the  knowledge  of  the
             terms of the Memorandum of Understanding.

                 The Memorandum of Understanding between West Germany and
             the US appears potentially quite damaging in this respect to
             the interests of the Federal Republic. We have some evidence
             that the British MoU is more favourable to British interests
             in this matter, but the net effect of SDI  participation  on
             British military exports may still be negative.

                 Spin-off,  therefore,  seems  to  us  to   be   a   poor
             justification   of   either   the   SDI   itself  or  of  UK
             participation in it. Both the US and the UK have to remember
             that  they face a major competitor, Japan, in which advanced
             information  technologies  are  being  pursued  with  direct
             commercial   exploitation   fully   in   view.   It  is  not
             inconceivable that the Japanese could over the  next  twenty
             years  pursue  a  directly commercial information technology
             programme at around SDI scale. The prospects for the  UK  IT
             industry,  and  even the US IT industry, in the world market
             would then be very poor.  The  processes  we  have  seen  in
             fields  such  as consumer electronics could well be repeated
             in areas in which the UK and US are still strong.

             Selected Bibliography

                 Council for Science and Society,
                 UK Military R&D,
                 Oxford University Press, 1986.

                 Civil Exploitation of Defence Technology,
                 Report to the Electronics EDC by Sir Ieuan Maddock CB OBE FENG FRS and
                 Observations by the Ministry of Defence, London, National Economic
                 Development Office, February 1983.

                 German Press reveals SDI Trade Deal
                 New Scientist,
                 24 April 1986.

             Information about the author

             Dr Donald MacKenzie has been Lecturer in  Sociology  at  the
             University  of  Edinburgh  since  1975.  His  main  research
             interest is the sociology and social history of science  and
             technology,   especially   modern  military  technology.  He
             graduated from the University  of  Edinburgh  in  1972  with
             First  Class Honours in Applied Mathematics, and after post-
             graduate study in the Science Studies  Unit,  University  of
             Edinburgh,  was  awarded  his PhD in 1978 for a study of the
             development of the mathematical theory of statistics. He  is
             the author of

             Statistics in Britain, 1865-1930: The Social Construction of
             Scientific Knowledge (Edinburgh University Press 1981)

             and co-editor of

             The Social Shaping of Technology
              (Open University Press 1985).

             He has published widely in journals and  edited  collections
             in  the  social  studies  of science and technology, and his
             work has been translated  into  French,  German,  Dutch  and
             Japanese.  Currently,  he  is  directing a research project,
             funded by the Nuffield Foundation, on  the  developement  of
             strategic   missile   guidance   technology.   See  "Missile
             Accuracy - An Arms Control  Opportunity",  Bulletin  of  the
             Atomic Scientists June/July, 1986.

End of Arms-Discussion Digest