[mod.telecom] Active line indicator

OLE@SRI-NIC.ARPA (Ole Jorgen Jacobsen) (10/19/85)

SRI International: (415) 859-4536  Home: (415) 325-9427
ReSent-Date: Sun 20 Oct 85 23:33:42-EDT
ReSent-From: The Moderator <TELECOM-REQUEST@MIT-XX.ARPA>
ReSent-Sender: JSOL@MIT-XX.ARPA
ReSent-To: Telecom-Individual-Messages-List: ;
ReSent-Message-ID: <12152772599.10.JSOL@MIT-XX.ARPA>

I'd like to build a simple circuit that will turn on an LED
when a phone line is active. The circuit should be powered
by the telco line, withstand ringing voltage and preferably
be small enough so as to be mounted behind the RJ11 modular
faceplate. The idea is to be able to see that a phone line
is in use without picking up another instrument to listen
(and cause havoc to a modem/computer). Any smart hardware
hackers out there?

<OLE>
<370>
-------

$jch@CLVM.BITNET (Jeffrey C Honig) (10/25/85)

I just received my latest DAK (800-325-0800) catalog which lists an
active line indicator for $9.50 + $2 Postage and Handling.  It is not
line powered, it requires a 9V battery.  The descripton implies that it
will indicate off-hook anywhere on the phone line.

Jeffrey C Honig
Clarkson University - Potsdam, NY