[mod.telecom] Modems with Builtin \"Protocol\"s

wcs@ho95e.UUCP (10/26/85)

In article <2306@brl-tgr.ARPA> fischer@RAND-UNIX.ARPA writes:
>I looked (briefly) into the new 2400 baud modems for use with my Xenix
>system.  The dealers all push versions with a built-in protocol called
>MNP.  This protocol handles retries of bad characters, BUT (e.g., beware)
>it is not really suitable for use on communications where the underlying
>software already has a protocol.
>
>With uucp, the MNP flow control will be incompatible, and thus one will
>have to disable MNP.
>
>With Kermit, MNP is likely to play havoc .... flow control ....
>... Emacs with ... control-s or control-q,

I'm glad someone else asked!  Has anyone been able to find out if either the
IRMA Fastlink board (which uses some bizarre packetization scheme) or
Racal-Vadic's new 9600 baud modem can handle uucp.  How about "layers"
(the protocol for the TTY 5620 "Blit")?
			Thanks
--
## Bill Stewart, AT&T Bell Labs, Holmdel NJ 1-201-949-0705 ihnp4!ho95c!wcs