[mod.telecom] Tone burst

erik@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU (Erik Mueller) (10/28/85)

Newsgroups: mod.telecom
Subject: Re: Daa daa daa - the number...
In article <8510210346.AA26008@UCB-VAX> jcp@BRL.ARPA (Joe Pistritto) writes:

>	The three tone burst at the beginning of phone intercept
>announcements appears to be international, by the way.  I recently dialed
>a wrong number in Basel Switzerland (from the US), and got the three tone
>burst associated with 'the number you have dialed is not in service, please
>check the number and dial again', except that the announcement was in
>German (!).  I recognized the tones however, and realized what had
>happened.  I have only heard one set of tones however, does anyone know
>what the different sequences mean?
>
>							-JCP-

If those are the same tones that I have heard in France (an arpeggiated
major seven chord: 1 5 7, as I recall), we now have those same tones in
certain Los Angeles ESSs as the standard local incorrect-code recording
(not intercept). Speaking of intercept, I noticed that in California, they
don't bother with AIS, CIB, or ONI intercept; they just give you a
wrong number recording that is the same no matter what number you
dial. Does anyone know why that is the policy here? Too many numbers
to bother with it? Too many transient college students? Or is it only
GTE that does this?

							-Erik