[mod.telecom] Active line indicators

OLE@SRI-NIC.ARPA (Ole Jorgen Jacobsen) (10/30/85)

SRI International: (415) 859-4536  Home: (415) 325-9427
ReSent-Date: Wed 30 Oct 85 20:04:26-EST
ReSent-From: The Moderator <TELECOM-REQUEST@MIT-XX.ARPA>
ReSent-Sender: JSOL@MIT-XX.ARPA
ReSent-To: Telecom-Individual-Messages-List: ;
ReSent-Message-ID: <12155366867.30.JSOL@MIT-XX.ARPA>

Thanks to all who responded to my query, most of the designs I received
would work, but careful evaluation and lenghty discussions with several
electronics wizards led me to the following conclusion:

	What is needed is a self-powered line monitoring device which
	plugs in like any phone and does not steal power from the
	telco line, such devices can apparently be purchased (from DAK
	and others) for about $10.

Some observations:

	Putting things in series with the telco line is not very nice
because you need to get in at the house entry point which could be out
of the way and the increased resistance in the line would cause some
audio attenuation.

	None of the circuits described do a very good job of protecting
the LED from ringing voltage (which is about 90V). The current during
ringing can be large enough to zap an LED since it has low internal
resistance and even clever zener diode designs may not provide adequate
protection.

	Finally, I should say that no circuit was actually built, the
analysis was done mostly on paper. The self powered "line monitor" just
seems a much more elegant design, even if no telco power is stolen, oh
well....

<OLE>
<370>
-------