[mod.telecom] Call Pickup

ben@moncol.UUCP (11/03/85)

Our college just installed an AT&T system/85 pbx.  One of the most
useful features I have found is 'call pickup'.  A pickup group is
created for a number of different single line telephones in the same
office.  If one telephone in the group rings, it can be answered on
any other by picking up the receiver and pressing the '#' and then the
4 button.  I think this feature would be very useful in my house,
where I have several single line telephones (on different lines).
Since my area has electronic switching (they offer call waiting, etc),
it seems they should be able to offer this service.  Any idea why they
don't?

Ben Broder
..ihnp4!princeton!moncol!ben  (uucp)

OLE@SRI-NIC.ARPA (Ole Jorgen Jacobsen) (11/06/85)

SRI International: (415) 859-4536  Home: (415) 325-9427
ReSent-Date: Wed 6 Nov 85 20:06:26-EST
ReSent-From: The Moderator <TELECOM-REQUEST@MIT-XX.ARPA>
ReSent-Sender: JSOL@MIT-XX.ARPA
ReSent-To: Telecom-Individual-Messages-List: ;
ReSent-Message-ID: <12157202238.28.JSOL@MIT-XX.ARPA>

What you want is called the Premiere system. Available here in
Calfornia from Pacific Bell. What you get (the price is actually
very reasonable and if you have two lines with the standard set
of custom calling features you would probably pay less if you
converted it to Premiere).  Premiere is available in two sizes
2-6 lines and 7-20 lines. You get:

Standard:
	- Call pickup		*8
	- Call transfer		H+#<number>
	- Call hold		H+*9
	- 3-way calling		H+<number>H
	- Intercom		#n

Optional:
	- Call waiting		*9
	- Call forwarding	*72<number>
	- Speed calling		*nn
	- Busy call forwarding
	- Distinctive ringing	Intercom and outside calls ring differently

H means depress hookswitch, +means listen for special dial tone, * and #
are what you think they are. They also offer the ability for your Premiere
stations to access your WATS lines and the ability for incoming WATS calls
to be transferred to your Premiere stations. (I guess the latter would
only be applicable to business customers, unless of course you'd like your
very own 800 number: 1-800-CALL-BEN).

<OLE>
<370>
-------