[mod.telecom] FASTLINK

telecom@ucbvax.UUCP (11/18/85)

In article <720@ecsvax.UUCP> hes@ecsvax.UUCP (Henry Schaffer) writes:

>  I got the glossy 4 page brochure from Digital Communications Associates,
>Inc. (the IRMA people) about their FASTLINK (tm) 10,000 bps modem.  It
>also has 300 and 1200 compatibility, but I thought people might be
>interested in some of the "fast" features.
>
>  "Data transmission at 10,000 bps or faster."  N1
>  "Asynchronous dial-up connection."
>  "Automatic error detection and correction."  N2
>
>N1- inside it says "Poor quality lines may result in lower transmisssion
>     speeds."

Latest Mini-Micro Systems (Nov 85) has an item on it.  Article has
test being performed with 'Telebit Trailblazer' (Telebit being the
actual developer, DCA is a marketeer licensing it as Fastlink).  Test
had PC-card version in a Compaq in Washington DC talking to a
stand-alone version at Telebit's office in California.

"Telephone circuits were established through three long-distance
carriers, AT&T, GTE Sprint, and Western Union.  The TrailBlazer modem
in Washington transmitted files through each carrier, respectively, at
14,819, 11,023 and 9198 bps." -- Stephen J. Shaw, Mini-Micro Systems,
Nov 85, p.45

As stated in previous follow-up, they don't intend it for use as an
interactive modem, but chiefly for bulk-transfer applications.  Seems
to me some of the high-volume net sites ought to look into these
beasties.

					Bob Halloran
					Sr MTS, CONCURRENT Computer Corp
					(Formerly Perkin-Elmer DSG)
UUCP: {decvax, ucbvax, most Action Central}!vax135\
		       	 {pesnta, topaz, princeton}!petsd!pedsgd!bobh
USPS: 106 Apple St M/S 305, Tinton Falls NJ 07724	DDD: (201) 758-7000

telecom@ucbvax.UUCP (11/20/85)

> As stated in previous follow-up, they don't intend it for use as an
> interactive modem, but chiefly for bulk-transfer applications.  Seems
> to me some of the high-volume net sites ought to look into these beasties.

uucp "g" protocol wouldn't work too well, since the packets are 64
bytes apiece.  I remember a few horror stories about the uucp in 2.9
bsd: there is a one second-per-packet sleep in the 2.9 uucp code that
everyone comments out.  The packet timeout on Fastlink would have a
similar effect.  Just think of telling your boss that your $2000
modems are putting out 22 bytes per second...

However, pyramid!csg has pointed out that one could use a different
protocol; also, 'g' is supposed to support 4096-byte packets, though
I've never heard of anyone actually using packets larger than 64
bytes.

Then again, maybe this is our big chance to break away from uucp
altogether...
--

Romain Kang, Pyramid Technology Corporation

US Mail:	900 Route 9, Woodbridge, NJ  07095
Ma Bell:	(201) 750-2626
UUCPnet:	{allegra,cmcl2,pyramid,topaz}!pyrnj!romain

chris@MIMSY.UMD.EDU (Chris Torek) (11/20/85)

If I understand correctly, FASTLINK has error correction built in;
if that is so, one would not want to use the `g' protocol.  I think
either the `f' protocol (for X.25) or a new `h'ardwired protocol
would be in order.
UUCP:	seismo!umcp-cs!chris
CSNet:	chris@umcp-cs		ARPA:	chris@mimsy.umd.edu

telecom@ucbvax.UUCP (11/21/85)

I (and a couple of other sites with these modems on loan) are planning
to conduct some experiments.  It is very clear that conventional file
transfer programs will not function properly "as-is" with a half
duplex modem that "simulates" full duplex in this manner.  There are
also some issues regarding transparency.  To operate at high speeds,
the modem requires ^S^Q flow control to operate in a particular manner
to/from the hosts, or to have full RTS/CTS functions built into the
drivers.  As has been reported previously, the modem is basically
unusable for most interactive applications.  True throughput over
typical dialup lines has also yet to be determined.  Large block sizes
on suboptimal circuits could potentially result in massive amounts of
time being spent on retries--this is one of the reasons that
"smallish" block sizes are usually preferable on dialup circuits, but
this modem won't function very well with smallish blocks.

One problem that has been reported is that the modems may crash on
power glitches and require manually power cycling to recover.  Also,
right now the modem does not do automatic speed hunting for command
input, though that is promised in a future firmware release.

More details later.  Experiments are really only getting
under way.

--Lauren--

telecom@ucbvax.UUCP (11/21/85)

Unfortunately, the fact that the modems have error correction built in
does not mean you don't need end to end error correction.  Loss of
data, particularly on busy Unix systems, is very common at even
moderate speeds on serial input lines.  So the fact that the data got
between the modems intact does NOT mean that the data got from the
modem to the computer, or from the computer to the modem without loss
(particularly if the modems are busy doing retries and are unable to
accept new data at full speed).  Early indications are that these
sorts of flow problems are so common that per packet error checking is
still the most efficient way to go, with the issue of packet size
being a yet to be determined variable.  Overall flow control issues
are also still not fully worked out.  Right now, we're planning to
work with standard file transfer programs and test different flow
control techniques and block sizes to see how the modems perform in
real life.  However, we've all agreed that per block error checking
should be maintained over dialup lines, just as it is at lower speeds.

These modems may have some uses, but they are definitely not the
ultimate.  Their lack of true full duplex capability is a very
significant factor.

--Lauren--