[net.sf-lovers] your film fantasies

drose@uci-icse (07/18/85)

From: Don Rose <drose@uci-icse>

First of all, let me say I just starting reading sf-lovers bboard and find
it fantastic - well-written, fun, informative, etc. Since I am a closet
writer (who isn't) - esp. of screenplays - let me start my involvement with
the net by asking anyone/everyone to spout off on what things they always
wanted to see in films (esp. SF-related) - your visual fantasies, if you
will. I think the results should be interesting and enjoyable for all.
(A related question: what do most people out there feel will work/sell
today - e.g. people may have opinions on outdated/overworked genres, or
genres due for a revival, a la the current return-of-the-Western.)
    Looking forward to your replies......  Donald Rose

(P.S. Has there ever been a Sci Fi Western?)

hester@uci-icse (07/18/85)

From: Jim Hester <hester@uci-icse>

Depends on what you define as a Sci Fi Western, but Westworld (+sequils)
and Star Wars immediately come to mind, for different reasons.

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) (07/20/85)

In article <2802@topaz.ARPA> drose@uci-icse writes:
>From: Don Rose <drose@uci-icse>
>
>(P.S. Has there ever been a Sci Fi Western?)

Well,  _Battle  Beyond  the  Stars_  was  western  SF  (a  remake  of  _The
Magnificent  Seven_,  itself  a  remake  of  _The  Seven Samurai_).  So was
_Borderland_ (a remake of _High Noon_).

I remember a SF/Western short story invloving  time-travel.  The  plot  was
rather  complex  and involved a time traveling woman arriving at a point in
the Old West to have her child and having to fetch a .44  magnum  from  the
future  so  a  local  could  defend her against her enemies (and incidently
his).  Afraid I can't remember title or author at the moment.
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe)
Citicorp TTI                      Common Sense is what tells you that a ten
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.             pound weight falls ten times as fast as a
Santa Monica, CA  90405           one pound weight.
(213) 450-9111, ext. 2483
{philabs,randvax,trwrb,vortex}!ttidca!ttidcc!hollombe

ccrdave@ucdavis.UUCP (Lord Kahless) (07/21/85)

>            asking anyone/everyone to spout off on what things they always
> wanted to see in films (esp. SF-related) - your visual fantasies, if you
> will. I think the results should be interesting and enjoyable for all.

There are two categories of movies I like to see.  The first are
movies that go far beyond the ordinary world.  Personally, I think
"Dragonflight" would make a really primo movie, if you could manage
to really make those dragons fly and live.  (The story is much smaller
and more focused than Dune, has a greater emotional impact, is much
more personal, and requires much less philosophical background.)
Picture a really beautiful mating flight scene, or the hatching
scene, or flaming thread ...

The other sort of movie I like is the movie near our world, but just
a shade beyond.  I really enjoyed "Blade Runner."  The street scenes,
the sets, the clothes and the technology all look so much like how
2019 in downtown Los Angeles would really feel.  Notice the Atari
ads in the background, or the Hari Krishnas and the Orthodox Jew.
Note the international symbol cross walk, with speech synthasizer.
The visual detail is stunning!  The space station scene in 2001 gives
much the same feel.  Hilton & Ma Bell in orbit.

> (P.S. Has there ever been a Sci Fi Western?)

Do the Star Trek and Battlestar Galactica episodes count?
They had Gunfight at the O.K. corral and Shane, respectively.

dca@edison.UUCP (David C. Albrecht) (07/23/85)

> From: Jim Hester <hester@uci-icse>
>
> Depends on what you define as a Sci Fi Western, but Westworld (+sequils)
> and Star Wars immediately come to mind, for different reasons.

Similarly, given a rather wiggly definition of Western, Outland is a
remake of High Noon.

David Albrecht
General Electric

leeper@mtgzz.UUCP (m.r.leeper) (07/24/85)

 >Well,  _Battle  Beyond  the  Stars_  was  western  SF  (a
 >remake  of  _The Magnificent  Seven_,  itself  a  remake  of
 >_The  Seven Samurai_).  So was _Borderland_ (a remake of
 >_High Noon_).

I cannot swear I know the intent of the original question, but I
disagree with both of these statements.  Corman said he always wanted
to do "SEVEN SAMURAI in space."  That doesn't make BATTLE BEYOND THE
STARS even a remake of that film, only a film that uses some of the
same situations.  I would hardly call WEST SIDE STORY a remake of ROMEO
AND JULIET or FORBIDDEN PLANET a remake of THE TEMPEST.  And certainly
the fact that a western also used ideas from SEVEN SAMURAI does not, in
itself, make BATTLE suddenly a western in space.  There is too much
difference between OUTLAND and HIGH NOON to call one a remake.  An even
if it was, that would only make it a remake of a western in a science
fiction setting, not a western itself.

				Mark Leeper
				...ihnp4!mtgzz!leeper

srt@ucla-cs.UUCP (08/02/85)

In article <377@ucdavis.UUCP> ccrdave@ucdavis.UUCP (Lord Kahless) writes:

>Picture a really beautiful mating flight scene, or the hatching
>scene, or flaming thread ...

Personally I feel that this is exactly the kind of scene that DOESN'T
work in an sf movie.  People are very sensitive to visual imagery and when
presented with a filmaker's vision of some scene that is completely
orthogonal to real experience, they almost always find some part of the
scene objectionable.  In a movie like Bladerunner, on the other hand, the
filmaker and the viewer share a common base to extrapolate from, and so the
visual imagery is much more satisfying (of course, Bladerunner did this the
best that its ever been done).  I think you'll notice that good fantasy
authors almost never lavish great detail on describing the completely
unnatural elements of their stories.  Instead, they tend to "hint" at the
images and let the reader's imagination fill in the rest in a way that
is pleasing to the reader.  Unfortunately, filmakers don't have the same
leeway.

Different but the same.  That's the ticket for SF films.

    Scott R. Turner
    ARPA:  (now) srt@UCLA-LOCUS.ARPA  (soon) srt@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU
    UUCP:  ...!{cepu,ihnp4,trwspp,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!srt
    SPUDNET: ...eye%srt@russet.spud