[mod.telecom] Anyone have this modem?

telecom@ucbvax.UUCP (11/15/85)

I have been asked to get a 1200 baud smart modem for as little money
as possible.  Here is one that I found that sounds like a good deal,
but is it?

Modem: 1200 Baud Smart Duck
Price: $169 + $6 P&H
Available from: DAK Industries Inc.
	        Winter 1986 catalog, page 9
Made by: ADC, division of BSR
	 (Maybe I'm dumb, but what is ADC? -or BSR even, although the letters
           sound familiar.)
	     "more screen displays and a help menu",
	     and "day, date and time, an extra phone jack and
	     auto tone/pulse switching". Also has an auto-redial
	     feature.

Does anyone have this modem, and if so, how do you like it? Is it
reliable? Does it differ from a Hayes Smartmodem 1200 in any way?
Since we already have a Hayes, life would be easiest if the new one
was Hayes compatible. If the above modem is no good, do you have any
other suggestions?

Please respond by mail. I will post a summary if there is worth while info.

Thank you.
			-Douglas Flanagan
			 Center for Applied Math
			 Cornell U., Ithaca, N.Y.

		  flanagan@amvax.tn.cornell.edu   (ARPANET)
                  flanagan%amvax@CRNLCS.BITNET (BITNET)
 		  {decvax,ihnp4,cmcl2,vax135}!cornell!amvax!flanagan (USENET)

DAP.TYM@OFFICE-1.ARPA (David Potter - McDonnell Douglas/AUGMENT Div.) (12/16/85)

EXT-Dave-Platt-LADC-8738T 6-Dec-85 DAK modem

   From: {Dave Platt <Dave-Platt%LADC@CISL-SERVICE-MULTICS.ARPA>}DDN
   To: DAP.TYM
   Random-Quote: A physicist is an atom's way of knowing about atoms. GEORGE WALD

   I saw the modem in the DAK catalog, and ordered it about a month ago.
   Un(?)fortunately, DAK gorfed up my Visa-card number when verifying it, got a
   "no authorization", and sent me a letter asking for a check or money order
   if I still wanted the modem.  By then, I had heard the following, and
   decided not to get it after all:

   After ordering it, I mentioned having done so on a BBS I peruse frequently.
   Another BBS'er responded with a comment, saying that the ADC modem looks
   very much as if it's a private-label packaging of a modem made by a company
   here in California (I don't recall the company name, save that it starts
   with "L";  Levco, maybe???).  He mentioned that this modem, and a whole
   bunch of others had recently been reviewed in one of the PC magazines;  it
   received a very high bang-for-the-buck rating, but a fairly low
   absolute-level-of-quality rating.  Apparently its ability to "hang onto" a
   low-quality signal is not very good (poor noise filtration, a simplistic
   decoding algorithm, or some such). It will apparently perform well when used
   to make local calls over high-quality phone lines, but tends to fall apart
   when used to make long-distance calls (especially, I'd guess, over some of
   the "alternate" long-distance carriers whose bandwidth / noise / echo
   suppression is not as good as AT&T & the better alternate carriers).  DAK's
   owner mentioned in the ad that he noticed no difference between the ADC and
   the Hayes 1200 he'd been using... but if he was connecting mostly with
   database systems in the LA area (or with the local CompuServe or Tymnet
   access numbers) then his experience might not be a good indication of how it
   would perform in a more difficult environment.

   Please note - all of the above is third-hand news & rumor.  I'd suggest that
   anyone seriously interested in the ADC modem dig through some back issues of
   the popular PC magazines (PC World, perhaps??) and see if you can find the
   article that compared the modems.  Also, you might just go ahead and order
   the ADC modem from DAK, and see how it works in your application;  DAK
   offers a 30-day no-questions-asked guarantee on everything they sell, and my
   experience with their various guarantees has been that they do keep their
   word.

   For now, I'm going to stick with my venerable Racal-Vadic VS212P modem. Its
   major shortcoming is that it's not Hayes-compatible (I understand that their
   new 300/1200/2400 "Maxwell" modem supports both Hayes and their own command
   sets).  It has been very reliable in the 2+ years that I've owned it, and
   its noise immunity is very good;  I do occasional cross-country XMODEM
   transfers with very few problems.

   'nuff said.

EXT-erickson-87766 8-Dec-85 Re: ADC Modem from DAK

   From: {Gary Scott Gershwin <erickson@UCI.EDU>}DDN
   To: DAP.TYM
   Cc: kaplan@UCI.EDU

   The ADC modem from DAK seems to be o.k. (I'm using it right now in fact)

   The only quirk I've seen in it is that once in awhile it will send a "{" to
   the screen but not to the system.  However, I am going to change some of the
   hard- wiring in my terminal so that I can use the editors at UCI.  That
   might solve the problem.

   Also, I noticed that the problem only happens when the line is interupted
   (it happened when someone picked up the receiver on one of the other phones
   in the house.)  Other than that, It seems to be working just fine.

   Plus, it's got the auto-dial that can be used with such long distance
   companies as Sprint or MCI.  It will dial one or several digits, wait for a
   second dial tone, then continue with the rest of the digits.  It also
   redials if the line is busy, which can be handy for a student such as
   myself.

   All in all, it seems like a great deal for a 1200 baud modem.

   If you get one and find any peculiarities, please let me know.  I'll do the
   same if you wish.

   GG

   <erickson@uci.edu>

EXT-Dave-Platt-LADC-879M1 9-Dec-85 More on modems

   From: {Dave Platt <Dave-Platt%LADC@CISL-SERVICE-MULTICS.ARPA>}DDN
   To: DAP.TYM
   References-to: DAK modem
   Random-Quote: If it keeps up, man will atrophy all his limbs but the
	push-button finger. FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

   Here are a couple of tidbits that I've picked up while perusing several
   Macintosh-oriented bulleting-board systems across the country:

   -  The Hayes 2400-baud Smartmodem is widely disliked.  Its command set is
   *not* fully "Hayes-compatible";  the differences are sufficiently large that
   many of the popular bulletin-board-host programs (Fido, RBBS, maybe others?)
   have difficulty working with the modem.  Also, it's alleged to be not very
   reliable at 2400 baud, and to be less than fully compatible with non-Hayes
   2400-baud modems (filters mistuned, or something like that, maybe?).

   -  The Courier 2400 has been getting rave reviews.  This is due, in part, to
   the fact that Courier will sell one for a very low price ($350 or so) to
   anyone who will use it to support a bulletin-board system, as long as the
   sysop puts a message in the BBS signon dialog stating that the modem is
   courtesy of U.S. Robotics.  It's also said to be rock-stable, with extremely
   good noise immunity and high reliability. It's also more compatible with the
   older (300- and 1200-baud) modems than the Hayes 2400 is!

   -  I spoke with the sysop of the Socrates bulletin board (sent him copies of
   about 13 disks of public-domain Mac software, in fact).  He is of the
   opinion that 2400-baud modems will probably be a fairly short-lived
   phenomenon in the marketplace.  Newer protocols that will permit reliable
   operation at speeds of up to 9600 baud (or higher) over voice-grade lines
   will probably render 2400-baud modems obsolete before too long.  As I
   understand it, these modems transmit bits in parallel by using a fairly
   large number of subcarriers, each of which transmits data at a relatively
   low rate (6-20 baud).  These modems operate in a very fast "burst switching"
   mode;  the phone line is actually used in a half-duplex fashion, but the
   modems switch back and forth fast enough (many times/second) that they
   appear to be full-duplex to the devices & people using them.  They also
   regularly check the state of the phone line, testing to see which
   subcarriers can be used, and will automatically "roll back" to lower total
   baud rates if the quality of the phone connection decreases (they "roll
   back" smoothly, rather than in large steps, as the number of usable
   subcarriers decreases).  The major limitation with these modems is that
   there is no standard protocol... just a number of incompatible proprietary
   ones.  We'll probably have to wait a few years before a suitably efficient &
   accepted standard develops.

EXT-kevin-879RM 9-Dec-85 ADC modem from DAK

   From: {kevin@harvard.HARVARD.EDU (Kevin Crowston)}DDN
   To: DAP.TYM, INFO-IBMPC@USC-ISIB.ARPA

   I bought one of the ADC modems from DAK.  I ordered by phone, paying by
   credit card, and the modem arrived within 3 weeks. So far, I have no
   complaints.  It seems to be exactly what it claims, a Hayes compatible
   modem.  It actually implements a superset of the Hayes commands, including
   such things as a built-in clock/calendar and automatic redialling on a busy
   signal.  (It has a switch to turn these extensions off.) I've used the modem
   with MacTerminal on a Mac and it works fine.  The documentation is very
   complete and readable and the modem worked "out of the box", with no setup.
   Overall, I would recommend it; it seems to be the cheapest modem on the
   market (or at least close).

   Kevin Crowston

   MIT Sloan School of Management

   kevin%mit-sloan.mit.edu@mit-mc.arpa

   kevin@harvard.arpa

   (P.S.  I sent a slightly longer review to net.micro; perhaps, if you have
   access to that article, you might want to substitute it.)