[net.sf-lovers] Tall Tales in a Bar Stories...

marotta%lezah.DEC@decwrl.ARPA (07/30/85)

From: marotta%lezah.DEC@decwrl.ARPA  (MARY MAROTTA)

A few recent messages briefly mentioned the "tall tales in a bar" subgenre.
I assume this is sub- to SF, but I have trouble characterizing the
subgenre.  Would anyone care to describe their idea of what a "bar" tale
is?  Perhaps a few more references to authors would help: Clarke, Cabell,
and Lord Dunsany have already been mentioned.  Is this strictly a type
of short story?

bobh@pedsgd.UUCP (Bob Halloran) (07/31/85)

In article <3002@topaz.ARPA> marotta%lezah.DEC@decwrl.ARPA writes:
>A few recent messages briefly mentioned the "tall tales in a bar" subgenre.
>I assume this is sub- to SF, but I have trouble characterizing the
>subgenre.  Would anyone care to describe their idea of what a "bar" tale
>is?  Perhaps a few more references to authors would help: Clarke, Cabell,
>and Lord Dunsany have already been mentioned.  Is this strictly a type
>of short story?

I am not sure if they fall into the category, but Spider Robinson has
done stories in "Callahan's Saloon" for years.  Collections are "Callahan's
Crosstime Saloon" and "Time Travelers Pay Cash".

						Bob Halloran
						Sr MTS, Perkin-Elmer DSG
UUCP: {ihnp4, decvax, ucbvax}!vax135!petsd!pedsgd!bobh
USPS: 106 Apple St M/S 305, Tinton Falls NJ 07724
DDD: (201) 758-7000
Disclaimer: My opinions are mine alone.
Quote: "No matter where you go, there you are" - B. Banzai

okie@ihuxi.UUCP (Cobb) (07/31/85)

> From: marotta%lezah.DEC@decwrl.ARPA  (MARY MAROTTA)
> A few recent messages briefly mentioned the "tall tales in a bar" subgenre.
> ...Perhaps a few more references to authors would help: Clarke, Cabell,
> and Lord Dunsany have already been mentioned...

*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR TALL TALE ***
Another author that comes to mind is Larry Niven.  He has a whole series
of short stories that take place in a bar, informally known as the "Draco
Tavern" series.  They tend to revolve around a non-human race known as
the chirpsithra, who say things that most sentient races find hard to believe
... and which just might be true.  Amusing stories.  You can find them in
two books, "Convergent Series" and "Limits."

B.K.Cobb
ihnp4!ihuxi!okie

cjh@petsd.UUCP (Chris Henrich) (08/02/85)

[]
	Another series of tall tales is
_Tales_from_Gavagan's_Bar_.  By L. Sprague DeCamp? Or
somebody.  They are different from Dunsany's or Niven's
stories in that weird things actually happen *in* the bar.

Regards,
Chris

--
Full-Name:  Christopher J. Henrich
UUCP:       ..!(cornell | ariel | ukc | houxz)!vax135!petsd!cjh