[mod.telecom] calling party ID

telecom@ucbvax.UUCP (12/26/85)

Yes, there are some LOCAL trials.
Yes, there are specs for collecting such info from CCIS data.

But there are also some reasons why widespread availability in any
USEFUL form won't be around for quite awhile:

1) In at least one local trial, users could BLOCK their calls from
   being ID'd.  This could only be bypassed by dialing a special
   code which would record the calling party's number AT THE CO.
   The info would only be made available if the called party made an
   official complaint and filed a police report regarding obscene or
   harrassing calls, and even then the police would get the number,
   not the called party.  There was also a hefty per-use charge for
   this service.

   Ya' see, there are interesting privacy issues involved.  You may think
   it's OK for you to get the numbers of everyone who calls you.  But
   do you think it's OK for businesses to COLLECT that info from random
   inquiry calls and use it to make up telephone "mailing lists" for
   future advertising, perhaps by automated calling equipment?  And exactly
   WHAT GOOD does getting a random phone number for an obnoxious calling
   business really do you?  Odds are it will be some random trunk on some
   random unlisted circuit.  To DO anything with it, you'd have to file all
   of the official complaints and paperwork--and in such a case the odds
   are that YOUR having the number (it's probably a dial-out only trunk
   anyway, so you can't even call it!) won't do you much more good than if the
   number was only recorded for official investigative use by the appropriate
   authorities.

   But keep in mind, if you can see other people's numbers, they (including
   businesses) can see yours.  And the odds are that the businesses will tend
   to make much greater use of this info than you as an individual will do.
   Individuals tend to have simple dialin/out trunks, but businesses,
   especially telephone solicitation types, tend to have numbers that you
   CAN'T CALL BACK.  You'll have to rely on the authorities to take action--
   I hope you like red tape.

2) Before the Bell breakup, I would have predicted widespread CCIS
   implementation.  But with the masses of bizarre carriers, WATS resellers,
   "tin can and string" operations, etc., I suspect that the number of calls
   that will not be passing useful calling number information will remain
   very high.

3) People often suggest that calling party number ID will end obscene
   and harrassing phone calls.  Well, I doubt it, unless we ban pay
   phones at the same time.

--Lauren--

flowers@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU (Margot Flowers) (01/06/86)

In Los Angeles, emergency calls to 911 show up with the caller's address
and phone number at a CRT.  What kind of set up is used here?

GRUPP@MIT-MC.ARPA ("Paul R. Grupp") (01/06/86)

>    Date: Thu, 26-Dec-85 12:56:38 PST
>    From: vortex!lauren at rand-unix.ARPA (Lauren Weinstein)
>
>    Yes, there are some LOCAL trials.
>    Yes, there are specs for collecting such info from CCIS data.
>
>    But there are also some reasons why widespread availability in any
>    USEFUL form won't be around for quite awhile:
>
>    1) In at least one local trial, users could BLOCK their calls from
>       being ID'd.  ...

Just what I want; when calling frends I'll leave it on, when calling
buisnesses I'll block it.

>    3) People often suggest that calling party number ID will end obscene
>       and harrassing phone calls.  Well, I doubt it, unless we ban pay
>       phones at the same time.

Fine, if someone calls me with a BLOCKED ID my answering machine will get
the call, as will calls where the ID doesn't match my "ok list" data base.
Now I use an answering machine to screen ALL calls, so at least with IDs
people who know me could bypass this by turning on their ID.

--Paul

telecom@ucbvax.UUCP (01/12/86)

> In Los Angeles, emergency calls to 911 show up with the caller's address
> and phone number at a CRT.  What kind of set up is used here?

	What you are referring to is generally called Enhanced 911 since it
provides detailed calling party identification, as opposed to plain old 911
which at best only provided a telephone number.
	A 911 call is routed to a special central office trunk circuit, with
such trunk being similar to that of TSPS, in that the trunk (under attendant
control) can hold the calling subscriber seized to the trunk, can re-ring the
line, etc.  This 911 trunk also has available to it the calling number of the
subscriber line which called it; this calling number is sent over a data line
to a telephone company data center which maintains a centralized data dase of
subscriber line numbers against actual name, address, and possibly other
information.  The resultant identity data is then sent back (not necessarily
by the same route) to the public safety organization where the 911 calls are
answered, where it is displayed on a terminal.
	The general trend is to have centralized data bases on a statewide
or LATA-wide basis of subscriber number correlated to name, address, etc.,
rather than to expect the information to reside in the actual central office
where the call originated.  This scheme also quiets some concerns of telephone
company management about potential abuse of information if were too easily
accessed by telephone company personnel; such would be the case if the data
base resided in each central office.
	Most of the Enhanced 911 that has already been implemented has been
done so with technical variations in each installation.  To a certain extent
this is unavoidable, but efforts are being made to standardize the apparatus
and method of installation (at least from the standpoint of AT&T Network
Systems and AT&T Technologies).  One of the great benefits to be derived from
standardization is that Enhanced 911 will eventually be available everywhere,
with calls routed to the PROPER public safety agency for the address of the
calling party; i.e., the telephone company data base will determine to which
public service agency the call should be routed.  Under these circumstances,
a central office will no longer be an arbitrary boundary for the public safety
agency answering 911 calls - which is only proper, since a given central office
will often serve more than one political subdivision.

==>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York        <==
==>  UUCP    {decvax|dual|rocksanne|rocksvax|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry  <==
==>  VOICE   716/741-9185                {rice|shell}!baylor!/             <==
==>  FAX     716/741-9635 {G1, G2, G3 modes}    duke!ethos!/               <==
==>                                               seismo!/                 <==
==>  "Have you hugged your cat today?"           ihnp4!/                   <==