[mod.telecom] Telecommunications History & Trivia

telecom@ucbvax.UUCP (01/29/86)

	Just today I found the real answer to a question which has piqued my
curiosity for many years: What does the `E' and `M' stand for in the term
``E&M signaling''?  No one - including people I have asked who work for the
"Bell System" - has ever been able to answer other than "the letters have no
meaning, but were arbitrary lead designations in a long-forgotten signaling
system".
	According to an AT&T Long Lines training manual from the early 1940's
(which I recently rescued from the trash), the `E' stands for ``Ear'', and the
`M' stands for ``Mouth''.  Think about it; it actually makes SENSE.
	Telecommunications history has always been an interest of mine, and
one of my favorite reference sources is a two volume set entitled: "A History
of Science and Engineering in the Bell System", which is profusely illustrated
and covers the time period of 1875 to 1925 in Volume I, and 1925 to 1975 in
Volume II.  These books were both written and published by Bell Telephone
Laboratories.  I bought my set directly from the BTL publications department
about ten years ago.  I don't know if copies are still available, but I would
highly recommend these books for anyone with similar interests.  There are also
good sections on the history of computers and military electronics.
As detailed (~ 1,900 pages total) as these books are, though, they still
couldn't answer the E&M lead question...

==>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York        <==
==>  UUCP    {decvax|dual|rocksanne|rocksvax|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry  <==
==>  VOICE   716/741-9185                {rice|shell}!baylor!/             <==
==>  FAX     716/741-9635 {G1, G2, G3 modes}    duke!ethos!/               <==
==>                                               seismo!/                 <==
==>  "Have you hugged your cat today?"           ihnp4!/                   <==

telecom@ucbvax.UUCP (01/30/86)

In article <8601300934.AA08968@ucbvax.berkeley.edu> kitty!larry@SEISMO.CSS.GOV writes:

>	Just today I found the real answer to a question which has piqued my
>curiosity for many years: What does the `E' and `M' stand for in the term
>``E&M signaling''?  No one - including people I have asked who work for the
>"Bell System" - has ever been able to answer other than "the letters have no
>meaning, but were arbitrary lead designations in a long-forgotten signaling
>system".
>	According to an AT&T Long Lines training manual from the early 1940's
>(which I recently rescued from the trash), the `E' stands for ``Ear'', and the
>`M' stands for ``Mouth''.  Think about it; it actually makes SENSE.

another good one is the original meaning of the tip and ring lines.
funny thing about >ring<, is that it has nothing to do with the ringer in the
phone. the story i got from a telecommunications guru was there once was
a little plug, looked a lot like a coax plug, and the middle (the tip) was
called tip, and the outside (the ring) was called ring.

kind of makes you wonder about terms like UNIX mean :->

curt

ron@BRL.ARPA (Ron Natalie) (01/31/86)

re
>another good one is the original meaning of the tip and ring lines.
>funny thing about >ring<, is that it has nothing to do with the ringer in the
>phone. the story i got from a telecommunications guru was there once was
>a little plug, looked a lot like a coax plug, and the middle (the tip) was
>called tip, and the outside (the ring) was called ring.

Give me a break.  Of course tip and ring have nothing to do with the ringer.
The standard "PHONE" plug has two conducters one on the tip and the other
on the sleeve or "ring."  The "ring" side is more descriptive of the jack
where the contact actually is a ring.

UNIX by the way is a PUN, but the letters are not an acronym for anything.

-Ron

telecom@ucbvax.UUCP (01/31/86)

In article <8601300934.AA08968@ucbvax.berkeley.edu> you write:

>	Just today I found the real answer to a question which has piqued my
>curiosity for many years: What does the `E' and `M' stand for in the term
>``E&M signaling''?  No one - including people I have asked who work for the
>"Bell System" - has ever been able to answer other than "the letters have no
>meaning, but were arbitrary lead designations in a long-forgotten signaling
>system".
>	According to an AT&T Long Lines training manual from the early 1940's
>(which I recently rescued from the trash), the `E' stands for ``Ear'', and the
>`M' stands for ``Mouth''.  Think about it; it actually makes SENSE.
>	Telecommunications history has always been an interest of mine, and
>one of my favorite reference sources is a two volume set entitled: "A History
>of Science and Engineering in the Bell System", which is profusely illustrated
>and covers the time period of 1875 to 1925 in Volume I, and 1925 to 1975 in
>Volume II.  These books were both written and published by Bell Telephone
>Laboratories.  I bought my set directly from the BTL publications department
>about ten years ago.  I don't know if copies are still available, but I would
>highly recommend these books for anyone with similar interests.  There are also
>good sections on the history of computers and military electronics.
>As detailed (~ 1,900 pages total) as these books are, though, they still
>couldn't answer the E&M lead question...
>
>==>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York        <==
>==>  UUCP    {decvax|dual|rocksanne|rocksvax|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry  <==
>==>  VOICE   716/741-9185                {rice|shell}!baylor!/             <==
>==>  FAX     716/741-9635 {G1, G2, G3 modes}    duke!ethos!/               <==
>==>                                               seismo!/                 <==
>==>  "Have you hugged your cat today?"           ihnp4!/                   <==

[]
A variety of interesting publications are still available from AT&T.  A
listing of the texts in the now 5 volume series that Larry mentions two
of are listed below:

DESCRIPTION						  SELECT CODE    PRICE

A History of Engineering and Science in the Bell System   500-467	$47.00ea
		The Early Years (1875-1926)

This first volume the AT&T History Series of Engineering
and Science in the Bell System offers a detailed over-
view of the first 50 years of telephone technology. The
narrative goes well beyond a simple statement of events
to deal with the "how" and "why" of technological
innovation.

A History of Engineering and Science in the Bell System  500-468        $47.00ea
	National Service in War and Peace (1925-1975)

This second volume focuses on the Bell System's contri-
butions to national defense before and during WWII and
in the cold war missles crises that followed. The central
subject is engineering for urgent national defense - how
the technology of communications was adapted quickly and
in many ways to the compelling needs of a nation at war.
(Also, detailed descriptions of radar development,
Nike, Nike Ajax, Nike Hercules, Nike II, Nike-X,
Sprint, Spartan, Sentinal, Safeguard missle and ABM
programs, sonar, early gun directors, you-name-it. (wts))

A History of Engineering and Science in the Bell System  500-469        $47.00ea
	Switching Technology (1925-1975)

This third volume chronicles how switching, which during
the early years was characterized by the introduction of
and improvements in manual switchboards, became completely
automated. Discussed are major innovations that produced
generations of switches operating at higher and higher
speeds and handling functions of increasing complexity
and flexibility.

A History of Engineering and Science in the Bell System  500-470        $47.00ea
	Physical Science (1925-1980)

This fourth volume records AT&T Bell Laboratories research
work in the area of physics, chemistry, and material
sciences. It tells the stories behind major discoveries
and inventions, including accounts by some of the people
involved in the work. Of special interest is an account
of the genesis of the transistor, including reminiscences
written expressly for this volume by W.H. Brittain.

A History of Engineering and Science in the Bell System  500-471	$47.00ea
	Communications Sciences (1925-1980)
(No catalog description printed for this volume - wts)

The above may be obtained from:

		AT&T Customer Information Center
		Marketing Department
		P.O. Box 19901
		Indianapolis, IN 46219

Make checks payable to: AT&T Technologies Inc.

Phone orders: 800/432-6600  Operator 102
Outside Continental U.S. 317/352-8557
AMEX MasterCard VISA

Foreign Orders - Payment Must be made by International Money Order or Checks
Drawn on U.S. banks payable in U.S. Dollars.

To receive a complete catalog of various other AT&T publications, call the
800 number shown above, and ask Operator 102 for Select Code 000-011
- Commercial Sales Documentation Catalog.

					William T. Sykes
					AT&T Federal Systems
					Burlington, NC 27215
					burl!wts

telecom@ucbvax.UUCP (01/31/86)

The BTL classes use the Ear and Mouth designations to help you remember which
is which.  Frankly I like the Ear & Mouth story better, but I ran across this:

"Basic Telephone Switching Systems", second edition, David Tally,
Hayden Publishing, p.41

`The E and M system received its name from historical designations on
old circuit drawings.  The E referred to the middle "e" in received
and the M from the "m" in transmit.'

tim born
...ihnp4!ihlpg!timborn