[net.sf-lovers] Shalmaneser and Moira

mberkman@bbnccs (07/26/85)

From: Melinda Berkman <mberkman@bbnccs.ARPA>

I've always wondered where the quote that is used to authorize real-world
mode for the computer Shalmaneser in _Stand_On_Zanzibar_ is from.  Seeing it
used again in Diane Duane's Star Trek novel _The_Wounded_Sky_ has reminded me
of it.  Does anyone know where "I tell you once, I tell you twice, what I
tell you three times is true" is from?

Melinda Berkman

judith@proper.UUCP (Judith Abrahms) (07/31/85)

"What I tell you three times is true" is, I believe, from _The_Hunting_
of_the_Snark_, by Lewis Carroll.

datanguay@watdaisy.UUCP (David Tanguay) (08/02/85)

> "What I tell you three times is true" is, I believe, from _The_Hunting_
> of_the_Snark_, by Lewis Carroll.

This comes from an old folk-saying. Shakespeare made a reference to it (I
remember the teacher discussing it in high-school, but I can't remember the
play: one of Julius Caesar, Twelfth Night, Hamlet, or MacBeth) so it has
been around a loooong time.