[net.sf-lovers] Patricia McKillip

randy@umcp-cs.UUCP (09/23/83)

I am a fan of Patricia McKillip, author of the Hed trilogy and
"The Forgotten Beasts of Eld."  Does anyone know of anything
else she has written (novels or otherwise)?  Is she still active?
I'd appreciate any information you can give me.

Please respond by mail as I am not on net.sf-lovers.  Thanks
in advance.
			- Randy
--
Randy Trigg
...!seismo!umcp-cs!randy (Usenet)

jeffh@brl-tgr.ARPA (the Shadow) (07/26/85)

> ... Patricia McKillip's Riddle Master
>set.  I remember Riddle Master of Hed, and Harpist in the Wind.
>The other title escapes me.  Is is Heir of Sea and Fire?

Yes.

>What has this author done besides these?  Has she had any
>books out recently and are they as good?

The only other book I know of is THE FORGOTTEN BEASTS
OF ELD, which I think is far better than the Riddle
Master trilogy.  In retrospect, the the Riddle Master
books seem very much like a lot of other fantasies on
the market, while TFBoE had something special --a haunt-
ing, mythic quality that few authors have managed to
achieve.  I highly recommend this one.

			"Koona Phooney PHOONEY!!"

				the Shadow
				ARPA:	<jeffh@brl>
				UUCP:	{seismo,decvax}!brl!jeffh

chai@utflis.UUCP (Henry Chai) (07/28/85)

In article <3346@drutx.UUCP> slb@drutx.UUCP (Sue Brezden) writes:
>Another trilogy that was music related--at least a harp
>played a large part--was Patricia McKillip's Riddle Master
>set.  I remember Riddle Master of Hed, and Harpist in the Wind.
>
>What has this author done besides these?  Has she had any
>books out recently and are they as good?
>
>                                     Sue Brezden

McKillip's "Riddle Master" is not my favorite work of hers;
_The Forgotten Beasts of Eld_ is.  I would like to recommand this book
to anyone who likes fantasy that's not too heavy and who is romantic at heart.
--
Henry Chai
Faculty of Library and Information Science, U of Toronto

ecl@mtgzz.UUCP (e.c.leeper) (07/29/85)

Patricia A. McKillip:
	FORGOTTEN BEASTS OF ELD
	NIGHT GIFT
	Hed Trilogy:
		RIDDLE-MASTER OF HED
		HEIR OF SEA AND FIRE
		HARPIST IN THE WIND
	THROME OF THE ERRIL OF SHERRIL

					Evelyn C. Leeper
					...ihnp4!mtgzz!ecl
<"Bibliography is a way of life and a reason to buy a house.">

lah%ucbmiro@Berkeley (08/02/85)

From: lah%ucbmiro@Berkeley (1st Lt. RYN Leigh Ann Hussey)

Having just returned from Mythcon XVI (an otherwise BORing convention,
Alas.  Last year's was much better.  Being held on a midwestern semi-
Fundamentalist seminary didn't help it any) at which PMcK was Guest of
Honor, I have a complete listing of all her books (my comments in []):

The House on Parchment Street (1973) [juvenile ghost adventure.  fun.]
The Throme of the Erril of Sherill (1973) [pure silliness. lots of fun.]
The Forgotten Beasts of Eld (1975) [my favourite. enchantress, mythic beasts.]
The Night Gift (1976) [depressing juvenile: kids restore a run-down house
	as a gift for a suicidal friend]
Riddle Master of Hed (1976) [see below]
Heir of Sea and Fire (1977) [the best of the trilogy]
Harpist in the Wind (1979) [this, with last two books, her most familiar
	works.  Spotty, some great stuff, some bad.]
Stepping from the Shadows (1982) [fascinating semi-autobiographical story
	of woman haunted by the powerful and erotic figure of the Horned God.]
Moonflash (1984) [her first SF story.  somewhat less than great; doesn't
	take advantage of some of the intersting story possibilities she
	provides herself with.  she should stick to fantasy.]

Happy reading, y'all!

Leigh Ann
("Bibliography is a big word")