[net.sf-lovers] Spielberg & sexism

reiher@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU (08/03/85)

From: Peter Reiher <reiher@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU>

Jeff Rogers writes:
>But I have to wonder: is Spielberg being consciously sexist here, or
>is what we are interpreting as sexism merely a side effect of his
>habit of making very traditional movies? After all, isn't he trying
>to bring to the screens of the eighties the sorts of adventure
>stories he loved to see and read when he was a child?  (Which was --
>fifties? forties?) And a LOT of fiction and film produced back then,
>especially juvenile & light adventure stuff, and Disney, was filled
>with very cultural-norm-affirming backgrounds, right?

I don't think that Spielberg is a pernicious sexist with any conscious
desire to downgrade women or "keep them in their place".  He is emulating
old Hollywood traditions in many of his films, it's true, and the Hollywood
adventure films of the thirties, forties, and fifties had some fairly strict
traditions about female roles.  Olivia de Havilland had to be rescued by
Errol Flynn, she couldn't escape herself or, heaven forbid, pick up a rapier
and start dueling Basil Rathbone.  The major difference was that, in the old
Hollywood days, there were counterbalancing influences, other films which
offered at least some actresses strong, independent roles.  For instance,
most of the films of Marlene Dietrich and Greta Garbo and Katherine Hepburn.
Oddly enough, there were probably better female role models in cinema back
in those days than there are today.  Relatively few women are really big
stars today, performers who can get a picture made pretty much because they
will appear in it.  No longer do we regularly see films which are vehicles
for actresses.  Instead, the actresses usually play supporting roles to
actors.  There are, of course, exceptions, but not enough of them.

As I said, Spielberg probably isn't intentionally keeping women out of his
films, but his more or less benign neglect is more harmful to the cause of
sexual equality than several platoons of sexist construction workers who
whistle at all passing women and brag about keeping the little woman in the
kitchen.  Spielberg's films annually gross more than the GNP of some nations,
which means a lot of people see them.  Since they are well-made, their large
audiences are likely to be influenced by them.  If his films carry the implied
message that interesting things never happen to women, that they are just
sideline spectators to all the real fun, we cannot be too surprised if some
of that message rubs off on the younger, more impressionable members of the
audience.  Since Spielberg's films are so influential, I feel he should be
scrupulously careful in the messages he conveys.  He seems to be feeling some
pressures (of conscience, perhaps, or maybe just external), because his next
film, "The Color Purple", has a female protagonist who is also black, as is
almost all the cast.

(The discussion seems to be digressing from sf related topics.  If anyone
wants to continue it, perhaps Usenet users should post to net.movies (or
net.women) instead, and Arpanet users should settle for private mail.)

        			Peter Reiher
				reiher@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU
        			{...ihnp4,ucbvax,sdcrdcf}!ucla-cs!reiher