[mod.telecom] Mixing Service Classes

MRC%PANDA@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA (Mark Crispin) (08/06/86)

Here in Pacific Bell land, I have 5 phone lines to my residence.  Three
are flat rate (1 voice, 2 data); the other two are measured since they
are only used for incoming data connections.  They're quite happy to
offer flat rate and measured to the same residence.  What they won't do
is offer lifeline (the cheapest rate) and some other service.

Now, here's what pisses me off.  I only want my voice line listed, but
they are charging me for unlisted service on one of my data lines.  They
claim that you have to pay for unlisted service for at least one of your
lines.  I'm also paying a couple of bucks a month to have busy transfer
between the data line I give everybody the phone number for and its backup.

I guess I'm getting back in my own little way.  Out here they charge you to
have the lines collected into a single bill (you can get two lines put
together on one bill at no charge if they are on the same exchange).  Since
I pay my bills by electronic banking, it is no skin off my back to pay for
each line separately.  Pac Bell has to pay a few extra pennies to bill me
5 times a month.  Maybe someday they'll learn and make consolidated billing
a free (or preferably discounted) service.

CMP.WERNER@R20.UTEXAS.EDU (Werner Uhrig) (08/11/86)

RE: They're quite happy to offer flat rate and measured to the same residence

	when I asked SWB here in Austin, they did not cede that option.
	But then, I think I did not try to push the matter with any higher-ups
	which (now it seems) I should have done.

RE: Now, here's what pisses me off.  I only want my voice line listed, but
they are charging me for unlisted service on one of my data lines.  They
claim that you have to pay for unlisted service for at least one of your
lines.

	I solved that problem by having the numbers listed with fictitious
	names without a street-address.  try:  QWERTY, NOANSWER  if you
	want to be conspicuous.  no extra charge.

[Hear hear! -Elmo]

mo@well.UUCP (Maurice Weitman) (08/11/86)

In article <8608102105.AA09209@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> MRC%PANDA@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA (Mark Crispin) writes:
>Here in Pacific Bell land, I have 5 phone lines to my residence.
>[...]
>Now, here's what pisses me off.  I only want my voice line listed, but
>they are charging me for unlisted service on one of my data lines.  They
>claim that you have to pay for unlisted service for at least one of your
>lines.
>[...]
>I guess I'm getting back in my own little way.
>[...]
Here's a better way to get back at the tarriff-quoting, beaurocratic
bimbos: beat them at their own game.  Tell them you want the other lines
listed in some fictitious name.  I've got mine listed in W.C. Fields's
character's names.  Here's your chance to be R. Milhouse Nixon, Che
Guevera, Y.A. Boguslisting, etc.  My understanding is they've got to do
and it's free.  Some day they'll catch on and stop charging for things
that don't cost, or actually save them money.  Til then, we can play their
silly games, can't we?