[mod.telecom] Combined billing curiosities

paul@dual.UUCP (Paul Wilcox-Baker) (08/14/86)

In article <8608102105.AA09209@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> Mark Crispin writes:

> I guess I'm getting back in my own little way.  Out here they charge you to
> have the lines collected into a single bill (you can get two lines put
> together on one bill at no charge if they are on the same exchange).

Consolidated billing is interesting.  Despite what the phone company
says initially, it is not the same as just having the two bills added.
If you have ORTS (Optional Residence Telephone Service), you pay a
certain amount to get cheaper calls to certain prefixes.  With separate
billing you need this service for each line.  With combined billing,
this applies to both lines in the combined billing.

Paul Wilcox-Baker