[net.sf-lovers] cuteness

geacc022%timevx@cit-hamlet.arpa (07/25/85)

From: geacc022%timevx@cit-hamlet.arpa

> pg. 11. The Cute Character - Cuteness is based on the basic
> proportions of a baby + and expressions of shyness or coyness.... *No
> neck - head joins on to body directly*... Head large in relation to
> the body... High forehead is very important... Eyes spaced low on
> head & usually large and wide apart...  Nose and mouth are always
> small... Arms are short and never skinny and taper down to the hand
> and tiny fingers... *Tummy bulges - looks well-fed*...  Fat legs -
> short and tapering down into small feet for type.
[** mine]

I have never heard Judge Oliver Wright (a Criminologist) described
as "cute."  :-)

			Gary

bsa@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon Allbery) (07/27/85)

Expires:

Quoted from <2810@topaz.ARPA> ["Cold blooded cuteness"], by wix%bergil.DEC@decwrl.ARPA...
+---------------
| >                   	  But the cuteness of anything, even if it does
| >  resemble a walking teddy-bear, is decidedly limited when it wakes
| >  you up, as it did Leia, with a sharp spear at a sensitive spot.
|
| While using a spear to wake someone does cut the cloying sensation they
| first give, but the audience reaction during the times that I watched the
| movie was at how cute they were with their cute spears.
|	.	.	.
| I am not ashamed of the Ewoks I just think the costume design was purposefully
| designed to be cute and it distracted me during the film.
+---------------

Perhaps it was designed to be cute; but I can think of another reason for it.
Just what you were saying about feeding the bears in the national parks.
A cute menace can be more fearful than an {plain, ugly, what-have-you} one.
MUCH so.  (Although I would not credit George Lucas & co. with the intelligence
to use such a device.  Your first guess is probably right.)

For more information, read David Gerrold's THE TROUBLE WITH TRIBBLES, an account
of the making of teh ST episode of the same name.

--bsa
--
Brandon Allbery, Unix Consultant -- 6504 Chestnut Road, Independence, OH 44131
decvax!cwruecmp!ncoast!bsa; ncoast!bsa@case.csnet; +1 216 524 1416; 74106,1032

milne@uci-icse (08/03/85)

From: Alastair Milne <milne@uci-icse>

   Obviously none of you guys have kids yet.  The adaptive advantage of
   'cuteness' in human offspring, and animal offspring too, is
   that it keeps their PARENTS from killing them.

   Gods, and I'm the eldest of 5 siblings.  How *COULD* I have overlooked this?

   Alastair Milne