[mod.telecom] "...we don't really care"

OLE@SRI-NIC.ARPA (Ole Jorgen Jacobsen) (08/30/86)

I just got off the phone with a Pacific Bell representative.  They
have a nice little folder (produced quarterly) called "Easy Access
Shoppers Guide", which I wanted another copy of.  I also suggested
they produce a handy little quick reference card with all the 10XXX
codes on it. He responded with "...we don't really care. We're just
providing a contact between you and the various long distance
carriers." I responded that someone SHOULD care and that one of the
main features of easy access is that you can choose your carrier on a
per-call basis. His said that most people want just one long distance
carrier and don't care about the rest. I couldn't argue with that
except to point out that the 10XXX feature has been very carefully
kept in the obscure by everyone from the BOCs to the LDDs and the BIG
issue in all advertising and such has been the selection of your
default carrier. I guess this ploy worked.

Foo
			Ole

S.PAE@DEEP-THOUGHT.MIT.EDU (Philip A. Earnhardt) (09/01/86)

I was paying a bill in the NET Cambridge, MA office and decided to ask them
about the 10xxx codes. The representative knew nothing about them. He
said that, if there were codes, the individual LD companies would have to
tell me about them, since they didn't know anything about them. I pointed out
that THEIR computer that had to know the codes, since it had to route
the calls. He didn't understand.

From what I've heard, I almost get the feeling the local operating companies
have set a policy of pleading ignorance. It's as if their lawyers have told
them exactly what they should say about the whole equal access question, and
their response is limited to info about choosing a primary LD carrier.

Alternatively, perhaps they simply like to discourage experimentation with
other carriers, since there may be problems setting up the company billings.
They'd probably be lots happier if they got a "start up" fee for your first
use of a LD carrier.  (It makes about as much sense as a $42 connection fee
for just flipping a switch at the CO).

Or perhaps they just really don't care.

Has anyone out there gotten useful information (either in a printed form or
personally) from a local company about the 10xxx codes?

de@moscom.UUCP (09/23/86)

In article <8609012345.AA19872@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> S.PAE@DEEP-THOUGHT.MIT.EDU (Philip A. Earnhardt) writes:
>Has anyone out there gotten useful information (either in a printed form or
>personally) from a local company about the 10xxx codes?

The Rochester Telephone telephone book, not only includes about a dozen 10XXX
codes, but describes how to use them.  It also includes two pages on the
difference between Inter and Intra LATA calls.

My exchange has not yet gone Equal Access, but I understand that the
information included in the kits gives a fairly good explanation of how
to use 10XXX dialling, and how Equal Access works.

Of course, Rochester Telephone is an independant phone company, and not part
of the ex-Bell System.

               rochester \
David Esan                | moscom ! de
                    ritcv/