[mod.telecom] pc-based rs232 monitors

S.PAE@DEEP-THOUGHT.MIT.EDU (Philip A. Earnhardt) (10/08/86)

My company is interested in getting an RS-232 monitor box. I remember seeing
some software packages available that do this through a PC. Are these "toy"
programs or will they on the level of the Spectron D-584 scope:

	o Monitoring of both sides of a full-duplex connection at selectable
	  speeds. Must handle at least 9600 baud.
	o Some sort of intelligent way of seeing the timing interaction
	  between the two ends (the 584 uses alternating lines of the display).
	o The ability to capture data based on various signatures -- certain
	  data strings, parity errors, etc.
	o An interface that causes minimal signal loss.

Finally, the program should have the ability to record the data on disk.

Any leads? Alternatively, are there custom boxes that do this in the 3-5K
range? Thanks.
-------

jhc@mtune.UUCP (10/14/86)

In article <8610130141.AA12497@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> S.PAE@DEEP-THOUGHT.MIT.EDU (Philip A. Earnhardt) writes:
>My company is interested in getting an RS-232 monitor box.
>Alternatively, are there custom boxes that do this in the 3-5K range?

Check out the Hewlett-Packard 4951B protocol analyzer. About $5K, does
everything you mentioned plus X.25, SDLC and bisync, 19200 baud, except
that it records on tape cartridges not on disk.

--
Jonathan Clark
[NAC,attmail]!mtune!jhc

My walk has become rather more silly lately.

Telecom@XX (10/17/86)

(Philip A. Earnhardt) writes:
> My company is interested in getting an RS-232 monitor box. I remember seeing
> some software packages available that do this through a PC.... Any leads?

BLACK BOX sells a software package that might do what you want.  Their
catalog (p.62) says

	IBM PC, XT, or At computers can monitor RS-232 data interfaces
	with BreakOut....  BreakOut enables you to monitor, raise or
	lower interface leads; send messages to the interface; and
	capture and save monitored data to disk.

	Use Breakout on either COM1 or COM2 under PC-DOS 2.00 or
	higher, or MS-DOS 2.11 or higher.

	Requires 360K drive, 128k RAM.

	Order# GC-TD002		$125.00

I have never used this program, so I can't tell you anything about how
well it works.

Their customer support/information number is (412) 746-5565.

					Andy Behrens

{astrovax,ihnp4,linus,harvard,decvax}!dartvax!burlcoat!andyb
andyb%burlcoat@dartmouth.CSNET
andyb%burlcoat@dartmouth.EDU
andyb%burlcoat%dartmouth@csnet-relay.ARPA
RFD 1 Box 116, Union Village, Vt. 05043