[mod.telecom] USRobotics Courier 2400 modem problem

W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA (Keith Petersen) (11/25/86)

The following message is relayed from my Remote CP/M system.

--Keith

Date: November 23, 1986
To: ALL US Robotics Courier Users
From: Bob Clyne
Subject: Courier drop back to 1200 bps when calling 2400 bps.

There appears to be a problem with some Couriers which causes them to
drop back to 1200 bps even though the answering end is at 2400 bps. I
recently purchased a BYTCOM modem and in testing it I discovered that
when I tried to call it at 2400 bps with a Courier modem that the
Courier would usually drop back to 1200 bps even though the BYTCOM
stayed at 2400 bps. After several telephone calls to both BYTCOM and
US Robotics technical support I was finally informed by a US Robotics
technician that the Courier sometimes mistakes the 2400 bps answer
tones for 1200 bps answer tones. He would not say how widespread the
problem might be but did give me a RMA number to send the Courier in
and said they would check it and correct any problems. Let me
re-emphasize that this problem only occured when the Courier was the
"originate" modem, it worked correctly when it was the "answer" modem.
It appears the problem only occurs with some other modems but occured
with two different Couriers when calling the BYTCOM modem so it is
apparently not an isolated case. The BYTCOM technician indicated he
thought the problem occured with some but not all other makes of
modems using the Rockwell chip set. For the record: there were no
problems when using the BYTCOM modem with another brand of modem or
with another BYTCOM modem. If you have experienced any similar
problems, it might be adviseable to contact US Robotics and I (and
probably others) would be interested in hearing about it. Perhaps we
can determine how common or rare the problem is. Please send
information to me at Royal Oak RCP/M (313-759-6569).