[mod.telecom] several topics

SPGDCM%UCBCMSA.Berkeley.EDU@UCBVAX.BERKELEY.EDU.UUCP (01/28/87)

 MSG:FROM: SPGDCM  --UCBCMSA  TO: NETWORK --NETWORK           01/27/87 13:41:14
 To: NETWORK --NETWORK  Network Address

 From:    Doug Mosher                 <SPGDCM at UCBCMSA>
 Title:   MVS/Tandem Systems Manager  (415)642-5823
 Office:  Evans 257, Univ. of California, Berkeley, CA 94720
 Subject: several topics

 To: Telecom@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU SPGDCM@UCBCMSA.Berkeley.EDU

 Re: Thanks Elmo

 For Moderating for awhile and welcome to Jsol.

 Re: Hold Circuits

 Thanks for all the contributions. They elucidate how one topic can relate to a
 large number of individual needs, e.g. how many phones, whether one uses
 conflicting devices such as call-waiting or demon-dialing so that signals
 overlap, preferences for switchhook-length changes or voice-over beeping etc.
 It becomes clear that one person's total solution can be impossible or
 unacceptable to another, and makes the diversity of a conference most welcome.

 For my purposes I will want to try the circuit suggested and modified by
 others in the last several telecom-digests; this is the circuit that one adds
 to each phone. This is my preference, because I don't want to use # or *
 (demon dialer conflict), switchhook delay (call-waiting conflict and personal
 difficulty emitting reliable extended delays), hear beeps (preference), or use
 relays (size, preference). I am nervous about experimenting with component
 values, but a recent entry gave some additional helpful value suggestions.

 Re: Line-in-use indicator

 A past issue of Telecom-Digest had a schematic for a line-powered line-in-use
 indicator, which would light up if any off-hook condition existed on the pair.
 I cannot readily locate it. About 1-1.5 years ago I believe.

 Question: if one does not have local hard-copy, what is the most efficient way
 to scan or index the past library of telecom-digests?

 Re: Evolving Telephone Products; Hold, Speakerphones

 I predict that store phones will more frequently begin to include Hold because
 as more homes have acquired multiple instruments, the need will become more
 apparent. As I mentioned earlier, watch out for false-hold, a local switch on
 a phone which cannot be reset at another location.

 Other evolving features: on-hook-dialing/listen-on-hold (call this "semi-
 speakerphone) and true two-way speakerphone. To be noted: at first I thought
 semi-speakerphone was all I wanted, because many true-speakerphones sound odd
 and who can tolerate it. HOWEVER: at UC Berkeley many offices including ours
 recently added Northern-Telecom DMS-100 P-phones, which come with the
 semi-speakerphone feature, and this proves to have the following limitations:
 sure you can see if the line is busy or answers, nice, but then you have to
 grab the phone quickly when anyone actually answers or they get confused.
 Similarly, it is a great relief to be able to listen on hold, since being put
 on hold, or worse, being put on music-hold-wait for extended periods when
 initially calling, is becoming commonplace (airlines and ticketron in
 particular). Saves the shoulder muscles etc. BUT one must maintain continual
 tension and surveillance and proximity, since at any moment after the heavy 10
 minute wait, an operator comes on, quickly says hello-hello-hello and hangs
 up, resetting you to the end of the line on the next call. Perhaps the most
 offensive combination is being put on extended hold, so you put the phone back
 in on-hook-listening, but every two minutes or so an operator comes on the
 line and says "still waiting?" Unless you dash over and grab the headset and
 talk fast, you get hung up. You must do this over and over at unexpected times
 until the final connection comes thru. I'd rather get a sore shoulder than do
 this frequent mad dashing about.

 What is really needed is true speakerphone, simply so one can say from your
 nearby location, "YES STILLWAITING" or finally "HELLO, WAITAMINNIT, HERE I
 COME" and then pick up the real phone with adequate acoustics etc. Also one
 can use the speakerphone when initially calling, up to the point of reaching
 the real person. For these purposes, the lesser acoustics are acceptable.

 Note that as the telephone systems evolve, they create transition periods
 during which there is not enough public understanding to handle a feature
 well, followed by later understanding and integration. For example, the
 initial days of call-waiting and call-forwarding were very confusing, but now
 people understand when they hear the hiccup, or are told "I have to get the
 call-waiting", or they get a business secretary when they call your home and
 are forwarded.

 Similarly here, there are widespread extended-holds, but not the understanding
 of how to handle the proper response (on-hook-listening without the ability to
 easily say YESSTILLWAITING).
 Thanks, Doug
   a  several topics