[net.sf-lovers] War of the Worlds

hofmann@AMSAA.ARPA (08/01/85)

From: Jim Hofmann <hofmann@AMSAA.ARPA>

Sorry to differ with you, jeff, but I thought "War of the Worlds"
was one of the most nauseating, overdone pieces of tripe I've ever
heard.  Unfortunately, I had two college roomates who would play
this garbage ad valium.  They were jerks so I didn't really value
their opinion anyway and their musical tastes reinforced my feelings.

Richard Burton was overbearing and any project with David Essex's name
attached is sure to be a turkey. ( Remember his co-hosting gig on Solid
Gold ).  Jeff Wayne was from some god-awful group (correct me if I'm
wrong) called Badfinger or maybe he was John Wayne's son.  Anyway,
considering all the good groups from that time period (1978) who
couldn't even get a producer to listen to their music [ I'm talking
about real music - punk ] at that time makes this overindulgence
all the more TACKY.  But then again it was pretty indicative of the
late-70's in itself.  The reason you can't find it in a record collector
store is because record collectors have good taste!

					Nice flaming at you,

					Jim Hofmann

royt@gitpyr.UUCP (Roy M. Turner) (08/05/85)

In article <3036@topaz.ARPA> hofmann@AMSAA.ARPA writes:
>From: Jim Hofmann <hofmann@AMSAA.ARPA>
>
>Sorry to differ with you, jeff, but I thought "War of the Worlds"
>was one of the most nauseating, overdone pieces of tripe I've ever
>heard.  Unfortunately, I had two college roomates who would play
>this garbage ad valium.  They were jerks so I didn't really value
>their opinion anyway and their musical tastes reinforced my feelings.

>considering all the good groups from that time period (1978) who
>couldn't even get a producer to listen to their music

One of the people featured on the album (and I admit to being in the same
category as your roommates, as I liked the album a lot...still, having
no taste beats being a snob...(-: ) was from the Moody Blues...I will submit
that they were a good group, of some little fame...

> [ I'm talking about real music - punk ]

 Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha...ahem, excuse me...that is the reaction I
sometimes get when people mention that euphemism for noise...(see? two
can be snobs!!)

>The reason you can't find it in a record collector
>store is because record collectors have good taste!

Must be why I always see all those Barry Manilow and Ed Ames records at
record collectors...and I always thought one reason you couldn't find
something at a collectors was because 1) people liked the thing and
didn't sell it to collectors, or 2) people bought the thing as soon as
the collector got it in...

>					Nice flaming at you,
>					Jim Hofmann

...and nice flaming back at you, Jim.  Now go back and finish listening to
the Sex Pistols...

Roy

(And yes, I *am* in a nasty mood as I write this...you would be too if you
 had to go work on an AI project when the weather was nice outside!! (-: )

--
The above opinions aren't necessarily those of etc, etc...but they
should be!!

Roy Turner
(a transplanted Kentucky hillbilly)
School of Information and Computer Science
...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!royt