[mod.telecom] LD Carrier access codes

dnichols@seismo.CSS.GOV@tilde.UUCP (01/13/87)

I seem to recall quite some time ago seeing a discussion about
being able to bypass my equal-access carrier and use any of the
long distance carriers (even if not subscribed to) by prefixing
the number I wish to call with the proper 4 digit code (1022,
1088, etc.)
I was telling this to a friend and he was quite disbelieving. Now
I'm not sure if I remember it correctly.
Could someone explain if this is true and how it works? Also,
could someone repost a list of the 4 digit codes for the various
carriers?

Post or mail to me as appropriate.

Dan Nichols	       USENET: {ctvax,im4u,texsun,rice}!ti-csl!dnichols
POB 226015 M/S 238     ARPA:  Dnichols%TI-CSL@CSNet-Relay
Texas Instruments Inc. CSNET: Dnichols@Ti-CSL
Dallas, Texas 75266    VOICE: (214) 995-6090

--

de@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU@moscom.UUCP (02/05/87)

In article <8701210709.AA19460@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> dnichols@seismo.CSS.GOV@tilde.UUCP (Dan Nichols) writes:
>Could someone explain if this is true and how it works? Also,
>could someone repost a list of the 4 digit codes for the various
>carriers?

1. They are 10XXX codes, three or five digits, depending on how you count, but
   certainly not four.  If you dial 10XXX you will get the appropriate IXC
   regardless of your primary carrier.

2. Below is a partial list of carriers and codes:

Name Description                                Access Code

ANW  AM Network                                       053
RCI  RCI                                              211
WUN  Western Union                                    220
MCI  MCI                                              222
TDX  TDX                                              223
ACC  ACC                                              234
TAC  Taconic Telephone                                245
ATT  ATT                                              288
ASH  American Sharecom                                322
EOC  Electronic Office Center                         362
CLK  Comm-Link                                        421
ALN  Allnet                                           444
ARG  Argo Communication                               456
ITT  ITT                                              488
LDX  LDX                                              539
TLP  TeleSphere                                       555
SPR  Sprint                                           777
TLM  TEL MAN                                          826
BTI  Business Telecom                                 833
TLC  TeleConnect                                      835
TSI  Telecom Systems                                  852
STN  Starnet                                          999
--
               rochester \
David Esan                | moscom ! de

ROODE%BIONET@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU.UUCP (02/08/87)

For those who aren't aware, Sprint offers another
equivalent of the 950-1077 access.  Dialing 10777#
also allows one to enter an authorization ( billing)
code and continue to dial a call.

PacBell in California has introduced a state-wide prefix
for business office calls... 811-XXXX where XXXX identifies
the locale is a toll  free way to reach any business
office from anywhere in the state that Pac Bell serves.
Area code can be any code within California with equivalent
effect.