[mod.telecom] 2400 baud modems

alvitar%madhat.UUCP@SEISMO.CSS.GOV (11/25/85)

We are  considering the  purchase of  2400 baud  auto-dial modems for
several local sites.  We are presently evaluating the  Hayes 2400 and
the US Robotics Courier.  The latter  is especially  attractive as it
has been advertised in Byte for $389.  If you have evaluated these or
other 2400 baud modems, we would like to hear your opinions.   If you
suggest another brand, please mention what command set is used by the
autodialer.   Our uucico  only knows  about Hayes  and Ventel command
sets.  Please e-mail your response to the following address.
--
Live: Phil Harbison, DataVision
Mail: 3409 Grassfort Dr., Huntsville, AL 35805

gildea@EDDIE.MIT.EDU@mit-erl.UUCP (02/03/87)

We are about to purchase a new modem and would like to get one that
can do 2400 baud.  Of course, it also has to do 1200 and 300 and auto
dial.  Any recommendations or comments?

Please reply to me directly; I'm not on the list anymore.

Thanks.

 < Stephen

ROODE%BIONET@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU.UUCP (02/08/87)

Both US Robotics Courier 2400E and Multitech CTS 2400-MNP
modems seem to be available for around $435 at discounters.
The MNP error correction is automatically disabled for
interoperation with modems that do not have it.  Can anyone
see any disadvantage to modems that include this error
correction?
-------

jerry@oliveb.ATC.OLIVETTI.COM.UUCP (02/13/87)

Regarding disadvantages for MNP.  I have had two problems with an MNP
equipped modem (Vadic 2400 PA).  The first is that it will NOT talk to
Vadic 3467 modem unless I disable the MNP negotiation.  I suspect this
may relate somehow to the VA3400 protocol that the 3467 supports but
never pinned down the exact cause.

The second problem is the time required for the MNP negotiation.  By the
time the MNP modem has decided that the other modem does not have MNP
and informed me of the fact, I have usually missed the prompt sent by
the other system.  Perhaps the real problem here is all that verbose
output.  There should be some way to turn it off.  My UUCP software
doesn't really care whether MNP was used on a particular connection.

Are these problems common to other implementations of MNP?

The main reason I got the Vadic 2400 PA is that it supports speed
conversion.  This makes the baudrate supported by the answering modem
transparent to me,  greatly simplifying automated connections.

SPGDCM%UCBCMSA.Berkeley.EDU@UCBVAX.BERKELEY.EDU.UUCP (02/13/87)

 MSG:FROM: SPGDCM  --UCBCMSA  TO: NETWORK --NETWORK           02/12/87 18:40:03
 To: NETWORK --NETWORK  Network Address

 From:    Doug Mosher                 <SPGDCM at UCBCMSA>
 Title:   MVS/Tandem Systems Manager  (415)642-5823
 Office:  Evans 257, Univ. of California, Berkeley, CA 94720
 Subject: 2400 baud modems

 To: Telecom@xx.lcs.mit.edu

 We are starting to use 2400 baud modems here and prefer the error-correcting
 protocol by a long shot. However there is a logical "deficiency" of sorts.
 If a line got very bad with a regular modem you might see lots of error
 characters and say "look here, a bad line/connection/modem". With the
 correction going on, however, you'd see what might look like a degredation
 in response time, up to perhaps very severe. This COULD result in incorrect
 perceptions or conclusions about services or response time rather than
 a realization about broken lines/modems.
 Thanks, Doug
      2400 baud modems