[mod.telecom] mult. topics/ld access codes/1+dialing/prefix plan/speed dialing

SPGDCM%UCBCMSA.Berkeley.EDU@UCBVAX.BERKELEY.EDU.UUCP (02/13/87)

 MSG:FROM: SPGDCM  --UCBCMSA  TO: NETWORK --NETWORK           02/12/87 19:09:45
 To: NETWORK --NETWORK  Network Address

 From:    Doug Mosher                 <SPGDCM at UCBCMSA>
 Title:   MVS/Tandem Systems Manager  (415)642-5823
 Office:  Evans 257, Univ. of California, Berkeley, CA 94720
 Subject: mult. topics/ld access codes/1+dialing/prefix plan/speed dialing

 To: Telecom@xx.lcs.mit.edu

 1. If you include multiple topics in a submission, you can get them all
 indexed as I have done here by using a compound topic line.
 Saves on excess header garbage, better indexing than
 "Submission to Mod-telecom"

 2. Mnemonic ld service access codes:
 Note that some access codes are mnemonic in the sense of old-fashioned
 telephone prefixes (corresponding to the letters on the dial):

 10288=ATT
 10777=SPR  (Sprint)
 10362=EOC
 10488=ITT
 10539=LDX

 I assume this is just because they got in early with their requests,
 as did those companies with 10222, 10444, 10555, 10999.
 But it helps me remember them.

 3. What happens if you are a subscriber, e.g. to sprint, and still dial
 10777? Actually, I had trouble for awhile because I used to dial my access
 7-digit number, then use special 6-digit numbers to get customer service etc.
 Once I became direct-access it seemed silly to have to use the 7-d no. AND the
 6-d no. to get customer service. As best I remember, I learned that I could
 get customer service by 10777+6d (Easier? hmm...)

 4. Why do some dialing areas or BOC's require 1+ for long distance and others
 do not? I used to think it was due to old equipment, but I hear of NEW areas
 being made 1+. Maybe only if they abut old 1+ areas and the BOC wants to have
 a simple story for all?

 5. I imagine that in the pre-breakup past, ATT had a master plan for prefix
 usage that led to reserving prefixes ultimately used for such modern
 innovations as 976- and 950- services etc. Does any organization or club or
 whatever continue the task of planning national use of prefixes for yet
 further needs or innovations? Or was the possibility for such coordination
 a casualty of the breakup?

 6. Another breakup casualty: I had "speed-8" custom calling service, allowing
 the use of the single digits 1-8 for speed dialing via the ESS. After I got
 direct access to Sprint, I wanted to "register" an international number that
 needed to start with 10288 for ATT, plus lots of digits. First of all, I
 couldn't get an answer about whether this would work (Pac Bell says 10288
 is ATT and they dunno bout it; ATT says Speed dialing is Pac Bell and they
 dunno bout that!)

 But the point became moot when I realized that the 10288+int no. had more
 digits than pac bel speed-8 stored. Of course, at $24 a year I was glad to
 discontinue it, but first I had to add a demon dialer; if you have many
 stations, separate instruments providing speed-calling on each one is
 not a very functional arrangement.
 Thanks, Doug
   )  mult. topics/ld access codes/1+dialing/prefix plan/speed dialing