[mod.telecom] Speed-calling 8 correction and history

SPGDCM%UCBCMSA.Berkeley.EDU@UCBVAX.BERKELEY.EDU.UUCP (02/21/87)

 MSG:FROM: SPGDCM  --UCBCMSA  TO: NETWORK --NETWORK           02/20/87 18:02:41
 To: NETWORK --NETWORK  Network Address

 From:    Doug Mosher                 <SPGDCM at UCBCMSA>
 Title:   MVS/Tandem Systems Manager  (415)642-5823
 Office:  Evans 257, Univ. of California, Berkeley, CA 94720
 Subject: Speed-calling 8 correction and history
 To: telecom@xx.lcs.mit.edu

 Sorry for the inaccuracy. Speed 8 is single-digits 2-9 here also. My emphasis
 point was rather on the no. of digits allowed and inability to combine with
 10xxx prefixes and international numbers.

 Since the topic came up again, I get to add the history. I originally bought
 speed-30. This allows 2-digit dialing with digits 20-29,30-39,40-49. I only
 used a few so I wanted to convert to speed-8 using 1 digit 2-9. This was years
 ago and just about nobody knew how to deal with custom-calling feature
 customers in the first place, let alone subtle changes. For the first several
 months, I got no change and each time I called they would flounder around and
 say they would fix it. (611 repair service was a universe away from
 understanding anything about new ESS features). I was quite possibly the first
 person in the world to want to convert from speed-30 to speed-8.

 Anyway, upon continued testing I discovered that someone had provided a
 perfectly logical transition path, but nobody knew it existed. Purely
 empirically I discovered that I could store NEW single-digit codes for
 5,6,7,8,9, while still using all 30 previous 2-digit codes in decades
 20-29,30-39,40-49. For a transition time I had speed-35! Moreover it allowed
 both 1- and 2-digit codes, most lovably convenient.

 But if I tried to change a code in the range 20-49, I could only store 1-digit
 codes for 2,3,4. Each wiped out the corresponding decade of older 2-digit
 numbers.

 Too bad this actual capability is not available as a steady state. If it still
 works, somebody could get speed-35 by this path, loading their unfavorite 30
 in the range 20-49, converting, then loading 5-9 with 5 more single-digit
 codes. You want to reprogram? Cancel and repeat the above sequence. Costs a
 little extra for the feature-change fees, but could be worth it.
 Thanks, Doug
      Speed-calling 8 correction and history

[correction. If you had used "2,3,4" from your 8 number speed calling
you would have probably found that it worked (at least it does here).
Speed calling 38 is a common practice here, and we use the # key to
indicate termination of code (differentiating between 2 and 20).
--jsol]